Mara Helena Doria
Portugal
Local time: 14:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2022

Hello,

What's the standard rate for the Introduction of subtitles
General subtitling rate (including all the necessary steps) FREELANCER?

Grateful for your input!

Mara Helena Dória

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:55
English to French
+ ...
TL;DR: Whatever floats your boat Jul 18, 2022

There is no fixed, standard rate for any translator, even on a per-language basis. It depends on a massive amount of factors way beyond your language pairs, such as your expected monthly/yearly income, your terminology fields, your expected customer portfolio, your actual skills in terms of subtitling (including, but not limited to, your daily routine to balance marketing, corpus/glossary management and the translation work itself), your software, your monthly expenditures (rent, food, insurance... See more
There is no fixed, standard rate for any translator, even on a per-language basis. It depends on a massive amount of factors way beyond your language pairs, such as your expected monthly/yearly income, your terminology fields, your expected customer portfolio, your actual skills in terms of subtitling (including, but not limited to, your daily routine to balance marketing, corpus/glossary management and the translation work itself), your software, your monthly expenditures (rent, food, insurances, fuel, phone, etc.) and so on.

A general rule of thumb is that if you want to work full-time as a subtitler, your rate must be high enough that at the end of each month, your balance is in full green. Don't forget you won't be able to work as efficiently when you're 60 (you might want to plan your retirement too¹). In other words, if you're a freelancer, you run a business. Your clients, including agencies, do not call the shots, you do.

If you're a starter, expect a lot of refusals before you even land 1 actual client. My rate in English«–»French starts at 6.00 EUR per source minute, I often meet colleagues advocating a 10.00 EUR rate (which I do apply if you really need my expertize in blockchain technology) and there are always others online playing the AI-driven post-edit B·S· to bargain your rates down to 1.00 USD per source minute, with literally not even a shred of knowledge in authors' rights and copyright societies.

¹ State-funded retirement plans are usually not enough to support your medical fees and living expenses. This mention of retirement plans is for you to keep in mind that you'll have to save money on your own early on if you do intent to retire some day (at 60, 65 or even 89, doesn't matter). If you don't plan to retire in the future and think you'd be better off dying on the job, by all means, dismiss that line.

[Modifié le 2022-07-18 12:08 GMT]
Collapse

Mara Helena Doria

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:55
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Retirement Jul 18, 2022

Michel Virasolvy wrote:

Don't forget you won't be able to work as efficiently when you're 60 (you might want to plan your retirement too).

We don't have that "privilege" in Portugal.
The normal retirement age for access to old-age pension of the Social Security system is to 66 years and 7 months in 2022, in Portugal.
You can apply for an early retirement but that must comply with other requirements.
I know many translators, and good ones, who are still working after their 60 years old.

P.S.: Mara, you might consider take a closer look at this website; there are a lot of topics about subtitling rates, including this one that I consider very useful:

https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling.html

[Edited at 2022-07-18 11:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-18 11:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-18 17:18 GMT]

Mara Helena Doria
Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Portugal and, and and :) Jul 18, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

We don't have that "privilege" in Portugal.
The normal retirement age for access to old-age pension of the Social Security system to 66 years and 7 months in 2022, in Portugal.
You can apply for an early retirement but that must comply with other requirements.
I know many translators, and good ones, who are still working after their 60 years old.

Spain 66+, Italy 67, also pensions are very low, so...

[Edited at 2022-07-18 13:00 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mara Helena Doria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introduction of subtitles - General subtitling rate FREELANCER

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »