Contract with Agency: asking your advice!
ناشر الموضوع: annaba
annaba
annaba
Local time: 07:29
أنجليزي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
Feb 11, 2005

Dear collegues, a good agency I already work with (they are professional, nice, pay punctually... the agency of my dreams I would say!) has asked me to subscribe a contract. There is one ssíngle point I am not very sure of: they say ask that I will not actively approach by myself customers with whom the agency already works for 6 months from the date of the last work carried out for this customer through the agency. Did anyone already subscribe a clause like this or would you subscribe it with... See more
Dear collegues, a good agency I already work with (they are professional, nice, pay punctually... the agency of my dreams I would say!) has asked me to subscribe a contract. There is one ssíngle point I am not very sure of: they say ask that I will not actively approach by myself customers with whom the agency already works for 6 months from the date of the last work carried out for this customer through the agency. Did anyone already subscribe a clause like this or would you subscribe it without any problems? Thank you a lot for your precious opinion!Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 01:29
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
I would sign it Feb 11, 2005

Annaba, I wouldn't have a problem signing such a contract. It is a typical "non-compete" clause, and I thing the agency is rather generous to apply this clause for only six months, rather than the usual 1-2 years.

Trudy

Alejandra Villarroel
Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
شيلي
Local time: 01:29
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
I don't about Ireland Feb 11, 2005

But it would be a normal clause in this side of the world, considering even longer periods of time.
ALEJANDRA

Mark Xiang
Mark Xiang
Local time: 13:29
أنجليزي إلى صيني
+ ...
That's a norm. Feb 11, 2005

Usually 1-2 years, rather than 6 months. You are lucky, really!

Mark

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
فرنسا
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
My only concern... Feb 11, 2005

I signed an agreement similar to the one you mention, but I changed the clause so that it read

"any customers of the agency **that are known to me as such**".

Otherwise the agency could have sued me for trying to acquire a company as a direct customer, even though I was not aware that it was one of the agency's customers (for example because it only works with the agency in a language pair that I do not cover).

HTH

Alison

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
أنجليزي إلى تاميلي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
I understand what Alisom means Feb 11, 2005

I told my agency that they should tell me specifically as to who their clients are and then only I can refrain from offering work to them. This however required a sort of compensation to be paid to me for not competing with them. Naturally the agency could not agree. I then told them that the matter should not be touched upon. I never signed any agreement and the agency continued giving me work. My advice will be: do your own work and let the agency do its own. There is no need to allow yourself... See more
I told my agency that they should tell me specifically as to who their clients are and then only I can refrain from offering work to them. This however required a sort of compensation to be paid to me for not competing with them. Naturally the agency could not agree. I then told them that the matter should not be touched upon. I never signed any agreement and the agency continued giving me work. My advice will be: do your own work and let the agency do its own. There is no need to allow yourself to be manipulated by anyone.

As a freelancer I am on the lookout for new clients and at such times I cannot be bothered with such restraining clauses.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

annaba
annaba
أنجليزي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thank You :-) Feb 11, 2005

Dear collegues, lots of thanks to *all of you* for giving your opinion. It was particularly important for me to know if such a clause is "normal" (particularly to Alison, thank you for the tip, I'll even do so!).
Well, now I know that I'm going to subscribe - I don't want to risk loosing them...
Thank you again!
Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contract with Agency: asking your advice!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »