Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
Local time: 04:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 30, 2019

Hello dear colleagues,

I am accepted to join a project of adapting English hymns (Christian songs) into Arabic. The church refused to pay/hour, which is the most reasonable approach as some hymns can take a couple of hours to adapt, while others would take one full day to make the hymn sing-able while maintaining the idea. Any idea how much/word I should charge the church?

Thank you in advance,
Sylvia

Yaotl Altan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sylvia Apr 30, 2019

How many hymns are we talking about? I don’t think this is a job to be paid per word. If they don’t accept a per hour rate, then what I would do is to adapt the easiest one and the more demanding one, add the time spent on both, divide by two to get the average, multiply by the number of hymns and present a total price for the project.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Kevin Fulton
Thayenga
Sylvia Hanna
Thomas Pfann

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Few clients will be happy with no ceiling Apr 30, 2019

Sylvia Hanna wrote:
I am accepted to join a project of adapting English hymns (Christian songs) into Arabic. The church refused to pay/hour, which is the most reasonable approach as some hymns can take a couple of hours to adapt, while others would take one full day to make the hymn sing-able while maintaining the idea. Any idea how much/word I should charge the church?

You can't possibly charge per word -- it would be grossly unfair to one party and it could be either party. So let them know it could be them that loses out. OTOH, you can't expect them to be happy if you don't give them any idea at all. Do you have a feel for how long each one is likely to take, just by examining it for a while? If so, you could give a maximum spend, in terms of time, and say that you'll only charge for the actual time it takes, up to that maximum. That way, you'll be (a) putting a lid on the costs, (b) showing them that you're decent, (c) giving yourself an incentive to learn how to accurately estimate your work, and (d) making things as fair as possible for both parties. It's the way I invoice for all editing work, rounding up to the nearest quarter-hour (never down), and I find that after a while my clients stop asking for estimates as they trust me.

Good luck with the job! My husband is a singer/songwriter and he prefers to write a different song in another language. He says you can translate the lyrics, but not the song. Someone else tried to translate one of his once, and although it was apparently a very good translation (into Dutch), a professional Dutch singer had to give up and pronounce it unsingable!

Sylvia Hanna
Konstantinos Printezis

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only one by one Apr 30, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

How many hymns are we talking about? I don’t think this is a job to be paid per word. If they don’t accept a per hour rate, then what I would do is to adapt the easiest one and the more demanding one, add the time spent on both, divide by two to get the average, multiply by the number of hymns and present a total price for the project.

Unfortunately, it's going to be one by one.

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Apr 30, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

You can't possibly charge per word -- it would be grossly unfair to one party and it could be either party. So let them know it could be them that loses out. OTOH, you can't expect them to be happy if you don't give them any idea at all. Do you have a feel for how long each one is likely to take, just by examining it for a while? If so, you could give a maximum spend, in terms of time, and say that you'll only charge for the actual time it takes, up to that maximum. That way, you'll be (a) putting a lid on the costs, (b) showing them that you're decent, (c) giving yourself an incentive to learn how to accurately estimate your work, and (d) making things as fair as possible for both parties. It's the way I invoice for all editing work, rounding up to the nearest quarter-hour (never down), and I find that after a while my clients stop asking for estimates as they trust me.

Good luck with the job! My husband is a singer/songwriter and he prefers to write a different song in another language. He says you can translate the lyrics, but not the song. Someone else tried to translate one of his once, and although it was apparently a very good translation (into Dutch), a professional Dutch singer had to give up and pronounce it unsingable!

Thank you for trying to help, Sheila, but they totally refused the idea of charging them according to the actual time spent. Any other recommendations?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Let it go Apr 30, 2019

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

Thank you for trying to help, Sheila, but they totally refused the idea of charging them according to the actual time spent. Any other recommendations?

If you have offered them the only sensible ways of charging them (i.e. by the hour, or following Sheila's suggestion), I think you have done what you could. Let it go.

Sheila is spot on with her remark about song translation: This is not a task for a translator, but for a songwriter/poet who knows a foreign language well enough.

Thomas Pfann
Sylvia Hanna
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yaotl Altan

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:18
Chinese to English
+ ...
I'm not sure this works at all Apr 30, 2019

Frankly, I don't see the economics working out. The professional will feel that they were underpaid, the church will feel they overpaid, and the product will be subpar. This is one of the things that I feel has to be done by volunteers, or if it has to be by a professional, it needs to be someone whose line of work is in songwriting, and not even just any songwriter, but someone who understands the metrical construction of hymns.

Translation is, for the most part, not even a factor
... See more
Frankly, I don't see the economics working out. The professional will feel that they were underpaid, the church will feel they overpaid, and the product will be subpar. This is one of the things that I feel has to be done by volunteers, or if it has to be by a professional, it needs to be someone whose line of work is in songwriting, and not even just any songwriter, but someone who understands the metrical construction of hymns.

Translation is, for the most part, not even a factor in hymns. It's text set to specific meters on specific themes, and hymn "translations" are often just new text written to fit the same occasion. I don't know if it's actually harder than translation; for some people it could be easier. But how much of an understanding do you have of hymnody and its practices?

[Edited at 2019-04-30 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Off-topic: Translating song lyrics Apr 30, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I agree that it requires a very special set of skills and is more what today many call 'transcreation' rather than 'translation', but song lyrics need to be translated just like anything else. It has been common practice for centuries – many hymns are sung in churches all over the world, always in the local language. In opera and musical theatre the lyrics need to get translated, and even in popular music just a few decades ago (the good old times) it used to be quite normal for artists to perform their songs in different languages depending on where they were performing.

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Erik May 1, 2019

[quote]Erik Freitag wrote:

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

This is not a task for a translator, but for a songwriter/poet who knows a foreign language well enough.

True. So they do give the song to a translator first to translate it as is, they have the translation reviewed, then give the translation and the original song to an adaptor to make it sing-able while maintaining the idea in the target language. It's all because they do not have an adaptor with good linguistic skills. I am trying to be the first!

Konstantinos Printezis

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lincoln May 1, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Translation is, for the most part, not even a factor in hymns. It's text set to specific meters on specific themes, and hymn "translations" are often just new text written to fit the same occasion. I don't know if it's actually harder than translation; for some people it could be easier. But how much of an understanding do you have of hymnody and its practices?

[Edited at 2019-04-30 18:09 GMT]

I agree with what you said, Lincoln, and that's why I don't see another more reasonable way than what I know of or what's mentioned here.

I had a training on hymn adaptation, and had volunteered to adapt some song in the past. It's true that it's harder than translation. It's safer to call it "adaptation" or even "songwriting".

Thomas Pfann

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The end. Jan 12, 2023

What happened at the end, Sylvia?

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
If it's ONLY a job Jan 16, 2023

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

Hello dear colleagues,

Thank you in advance,
Sylvia

If it's ONLY a job you accepted for money, i.e. you couldn't care less personally if these hymns ever get translated, just walk away.

BTW, did they mention anything about your name as translator being acknowledged in the printed hymn sheets / book?

I had to deal in past with people who do for free what they are personally involved in, and then expect everyone else they involve to contribute for free or next to free.

Try once more to make clear to them what terms are acceptable TO YOU.

If they don't want to hear it, then you don't have any reason to listen to them any longer. Unless to want to spend a lot of time on earning little money ... instead of finding better clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hymn Translation/Adaptation Rate/Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »