Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:32
English to German
+ ...
Apr 21, 2022

Hello,
We do have many discussions with German and French collegues on rates for subtitling. And I like to share some of this information here.
The lowest rate some people accept (most people I know, wouldn't accept such a rate) would be 6,50 euros per minute for subtitling (without spotting, meaning, you already have timecodes and a script and if it's easy dialogue).
A quite low rate (which was accepted by some collegues) for subtitling discussions on TV without script and w
... See more
Hello,
We do have many discussions with German and French collegues on rates for subtitling. And I like to share some of this information here.
The lowest rate some people accept (most people I know, wouldn't accept such a rate) would be 6,50 euros per minute for subtitling (without spotting, meaning, you already have timecodes and a script and if it's easy dialogue).
A quite low rate (which was accepted by some collegues) for subtitling discussions on TV without script and without timescodes was 13,50 / minute.
In France agencies often offer 10 euros / min (and they give you the timecodes). If the content is difficult and you have to do research, that will not be enough to get a decent hourly rate.
Decent rates would be form 15 euros upwards.
As audiovisual translators tend to be poorly paid, there are associations of audiovisual translators all over Europe, where collegues can help you to judge whether the rate you're being offered is decent or not.
The European Federation of these associations is AVTE https://avteurope.eu/
If you are tempted to accept low rates, you can give it a try for one video for example. But be honest with yourself. Calculate your hourly rates (and don't forget social security charges and the price for you subtitling software).

Good luck!
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Yaotl Altan
Andrea Kim
Liudmyla Chernyshevska

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Post editing machine subtitles Apr 21, 2022

The question of rate is complicated by the quality of the video.
Multiple overlapping speakers can be impossible. No matter what the rate.
A clear single speaker, and it's much easier, just a matter of polish.
But the online rate set by the industry leaders is $18.5 per minute, human subtitling. So there is no excuse for giving the translator $6, but;
das capital.

Yaotl Altan
Rita Utt

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:32
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who are those industry leader Apr 22, 2022

[quote]Brian Joyce wrote:

"But the online rate set by the industry leaders is $18.5 per minute, human subtitling".

Hi, could you tell me who those industry leaders are? We are always looking for arguments when discussing with TV or other clients
and
what would a decent rate be for post-editing machine translations be? (I think getting Caption Hub or that kind of subtitling right will take a lot of time).
Any experience?
Thank you
Rita

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Un-biased Apr 22, 2022

1. Happy Scribe
2. Rev
3. Amberscript
4. Nuance
5. Transcribe
6. Trint
7. oTranscribe
8. Express Scribe
9. Temi
... See more
1. Happy Scribe
2. Rev
3. Amberscript
4. Nuance
5. Transcribe
6. Trint
7. oTranscribe
8. Express Scribe
9. Temi
10. Descript
11. Otter
12. Sonix
13. Audext

This is a list of industry leaders, each have their pro's and cons, and each must be evaluated according to a number of services apart from price, accuracy, access to software, reliability and upload and download ability. Some of the above demand that the video comes straight off your machine, as opposed to being linked, others are specified for medical use and some are the same server in a different hat.
Go figure!!!!!!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »