QC review speed versus translation speed
Thread poster: navro
navro
navro
Local time: 03:58
English to Russian
Feb 9, 2022

If the average translation speed is 300 word per hour (or 2500 words a day), what would be the expected speed for QC review? Is 1000 word per hour (8000 words a day) a realistic estimate?
What about editing/proofreading speed of the same? Thanks!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Feb 9, 2022

Wth is QC? 2nd stage review?

For first stage revision/editing, 1000 words can *sometimes* be a reasonable estimate, but it depends on A LOT of things:

1. Quality
2. Format - CAT tool or Word file? CAT tool can mean confirming a crapton of segments, while a Word file MAY be a breeze... but might also be an absolute mess if done badly and without a translation memory to fall back on.
3. Type - repetitive job with lots of TM matches or a wall of new and origina
... See more
Wth is QC? 2nd stage review?

For first stage revision/editing, 1000 words can *sometimes* be a reasonable estimate, but it depends on A LOT of things:

1. Quality
2. Format - CAT tool or Word file? CAT tool can mean confirming a crapton of segments, while a Word file MAY be a breeze... but might also be an absolute mess if done badly and without a translation memory to fall back on.
3. Type - repetitive job with lots of TM matches or a wall of new and original text?
4. Client requests - do they want comments? CAT tool text checked against source PDFs? Etc.

In my experience, revision tends to go at EITHER 1500 wph OR 500 wph. 2nd stage revision, same, just with a higher likelihood of 1500 wph.

navro wrote:

If the average translation speed is 300 word per hour (or 2500 words a day), what would be the expected speed for QC review? Is 1000 word per hour (8000 words a day) a realistic estimate?
What about editing/proofreading speed of the same? Thanks!

[Edited at 2022-02-09 03:51 GMT]
Collapse

navro
navro
Local time: 03:58
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 9, 2022

1) QC - quality control review
2) Format - Word file
3) Mostly technical text on finance/accounting. Both the translator and the reviewer are experts in this area.
4) The client wants the hight quality of the textbook.

Thanks a lot!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Navro Feb 9, 2022

navro wrote:

This all depends on what you mean by "QC review".
- I have one client for whom QC means second review (i.e. all segments must be checked for translation errors and language errors, but after a first reviewer has already gone through it), 1000 words per hour is a fair assumption, except that you never know how good the first reviewer was (unless you know who it is).
- I have other clients for whom QC means that to run a QC or QA check in the CAT tool and then fix the errors, and sometimes also comment on the report (e.g. write "false positives" next to all false positive flags, and implement the true positive flags). I'm often expected to do this for free after a translation, but if it is a paid job, it's often paid per hour, since you never know how long its going to take.
- Still other clients use the term QA (or even "review") for LQA, i.e. that you review the text and then write all of the errors into a report (usually Excel) where you classify the errors by type and severity, and often also write explanations about why the error is an error. Clients often dream that I can accomplish 1000 words in an hour, but again, this depends on the quality of the translation.

[Edited at 2022-02-09 07:57 GMT]

Izabela Braga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QC review speed versus translation speed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »