Thread poster: davidfw1866
davidfw1866
davidfw1866  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2013

A client asked me to perform an "intense review" of a PDF in Trados Studio.
I'm a new Trados user and don't know how to proceed.

How do you a perform a "review" of a PDF in Trados?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
The answer is: you cannot do this in Trados Aug 30, 2013

Please take a look at http://www.proz.com/topic/253187 where exactly the same question has been discussed recently.

Natalia

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:52
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The short answer is that you can't Aug 30, 2013

Tell your client it is not possible.

PDF files are not intended for extensive or intensive editing, and Trados Studio is not IMHO suitable for editing at all unless the files are in sdlxliff format.

If the client insists on a PDF, and you have Adobe Acrobat (not just the free Reader, but a program you have to pay for), then it is possible to mark up the text. Either you can delete and type in corrections that appear in a blue frame when you click in the text,
or
... See more
Tell your client it is not possible.

PDF files are not intended for extensive or intensive editing, and Trados Studio is not IMHO suitable for editing at all unless the files are in sdlxliff format.

If the client insists on a PDF, and you have Adobe Acrobat (not just the free Reader, but a program you have to pay for), then it is possible to mark up the text. Either you can delete and type in corrections that appear in a blue frame when you click in the text,
or you can do it a more laborious way with 'yellow notes'.
(See HELP in Adobe Acrobat for details.)

If they can send you the translation as a bilingual sdlxliff file, you can 'open for revision' in Studio 2011 and use the track changes function.

It is fairly logical, once you get going, but probably not the first thing I would recommend for a beginner. After the fist check against the source, I very rarely proofread in Studio myself, even after translating with it, simply because I find it far easier to see what needs to be corrected on paper or at a pinch in a WYSIWYG view on the screen.

I see Natalia beat me to it!
And if she says it is impossible, you can trust her
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to German
+ ...
trial version Aug 30, 2013

Christine Andersen wrote:

or you can do it a more laborious way with 'yellow notes'.
(See HELP in Adobe Acrobat for details.)...

Just wanted to mention that there is a trial version of Acrobat that everything.

B

davidfw1866
davidfw1866  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Client sent translation file later Aug 31, 2013

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

It turns out that the client wanted me to use a PDF as reference to review an sdlxliff file that he subsequently sent me.

I guess maybe he should have said that at the beginning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF "Review" in Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »