How to find native speakers to collaborate for proofreading (Russian, Ukrainian)
ناشر الموضوع: dennis.dcn (X)
dennis.dcn (X)
dennis.dcn (X)
أوكرانيا
Local time: 16:31
روسي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Sep 18, 2008

Dear members of the Proz community!

I'm a new one here, and I hope to find some answers... Maybe, I'll be also helpful to some of you.

Now I have a question, and I hope somebody could help me. I'm a Ukrainian and Russian native speaker and translate mostly into my native languages. However, recently I have to do more and more translations from Ukr/Rus into English and German, and I'm also improving my French to be able to translate into it as well. Certainly I need my j
... See more
Dear members of the Proz community!

I'm a new one here, and I hope to find some answers... Maybe, I'll be also helpful to some of you.

Now I have a question, and I hope somebody could help me. I'm a Ukrainian and Russian native speaker and translate mostly into my native languages. However, recently I have to do more and more translations from Ukr/Rus into English and German, and I'm also improving my French to be able to translate into it as well. Certainly I need my job being proofread by native speakers. I do have some English- and German-speaking friends who help me from time to time, but now I see that I need a continuing partnership with foreign colleagues...

Could somebody advise me, which is the best way to find reliable native speakers to help me? From my part I could offer, for example, a kind of a set-off - that is, proofreading or editing texts in Russian and Ukrainian or remote help by learning those languages in return of help with my translations. I am also ready to discuss other cooperation variants, but I don't know yet where to start. So I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise me on:

- useful on-line resources, where I could post my proposal and where I could find people, interested in Russian and Ukrainian; and

- the general expediency of the mentioned variant of cooperation.

I'll apreciate any comments and recommendations! Thanks.

Dennis, Ukraine
denis-demin(at)mail.ru

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-18 16:12]
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
بيرو
Local time: 08:31
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
Post it as a job Sep 18, 2008

Go to Jobs>New Job Posting and post your message + explanation as a potential job, i.e. jobs that people can get when the situation of proofreading a translation arrives. You can specify there many options, such as: people must be native speakers or you may send them a short test too, in order to prove if they are good. Give an extended deadline, so that many people can reply to your posting. And then build your own database with the translators who are really qualified.

I also nee
... See more
Go to Jobs>New Job Posting and post your message + explanation as a potential job, i.e. jobs that people can get when the situation of proofreading a translation arrives. You can specify there many options, such as: people must be native speakers or you may send them a short test too, in order to prove if they are good. Give an extended deadline, so that many people can reply to your posting. And then build your own database with the translators who are really qualified.

I also needed collaborators once and it worked! I met great professional translators in this way and they keep helping me with jobs when I don't have time.

Good luck, Dennis!

[Edited at 2008-09-18 18:00]
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
أورغواي
Local time: 10:31
عضو (2004)
ألماني إلى إسباني
+ ...
... and be careful with rates offered Sep 18, 2008

Hi Dennis

Cristina gave you what is maybe the most obvious piece of advice - and I fully second her:
Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Nevertheless, you should beware of "very cheap proofreading". Rates for proofreading are lower than those usual for translating; but you must ensure that the proofreader is a real professional as well.

And you must clearly define if it is a "monolingual proofreading" or a "bilingual correction/edition". See these threads as well:

Proofreading or translating all over again: http://www.proz.com/topic/104684
End-client improvement of your translation: http://www.proz.com/topic/107783
Proofreading your own translation: http://www.proz.com/topic/108707
Reasonable relationship between rates for translating and for proofreading: http://www.proz.com/topic/108520

My 2 cents,
Fabio

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
Local time: 15:31
عضو
أنجليزي إلى تركي
+ ...
The Exchange can work as well Sep 18, 2008

Hi Dennis,

Not sure how viable those options would be, but if you're considering options other than payment (like help with language learning, as you mentioned), you can also use the Exchange section of Proz.com.

Good luck!

Özden

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find native speakers to collaborate for proofreading (Russian, Ukrainian)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »