ES>EN Localization/Transcreation of a video game during development, rates
Thread poster: Catherine Dexter
Catherine Dexter
Catherine Dexter
Spain
Spanish to English
Oct 18, 2023

I'm working directly with a client in Spain to localize a video game. My version will be used to localize to other languages. The game is under development, so comes to me in chunks and there are frequent small text changes and updates. I also consult with the developers closely and respond to their ideas about the best way to translate a phrase (their English is good). Often my comments lead them to change the Spanish source text to improve it or correct an error. The text is dialogue-heavy. Oc... See more
I'm working directly with a client in Spain to localize a video game. My version will be used to localize to other languages. The game is under development, so comes to me in chunks and there are frequent small text changes and updates. I also consult with the developers closely and respond to their ideas about the best way to translate a phrase (their English is good). Often my comments lead them to change the Spanish source text to improve it or correct an error. The text is dialogue-heavy. Occasionally, there are songs or poems that I have to transcreate while rhyming. There is also a lot of slang. There are also character limits to be observed. I like the work but think the hours required and my contribution to the project are worth more than what I receive at 0.10 per word. It takes a lot of polishing, consulting with the client, correcting, etc. to get the results I (and they) want. They are very happy with my work.

I don't know how to charge for all the work I'm doing. And, I want to stay competitive. Maybe they like the quality I"m delivering, but would not be willing to pay the real cost of the work needed for that quality.

How do I account for the stop-go, unfinished nature of working on a project in progress?
How do I charge for changes? Analyzing and costing the changed text and reprocessing in Trados takes time.
How do I account for the transcreation factor and the fact that the "official" version and the one that will be used as the basis for localization is mine?

I suspect that they are paying more for the localization to other languages than for the English version, which takes many more hours. And those agencies have the advantage of a final text that has been worked over thoroughly before they get it. The client is not scrutinizing the text in other languages and requesting subtle changes.

The client is open to proposals for what to charge. We have a good relationship.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2023-10-18 11:12 GMT]
Collapse

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
Local time: 20:28
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hour rate Oct 18, 2023

In cases like this, I charge an hourly rate for any change requests after the first final delivery.

If the amount of changes is big, they should be sending you a new PO with new word counts. You should not even have to ask for that.

Explain to the client that all the extra work takes a lot of time, and you cannot provide this service without receiving appropriate compensation.

[Edited at 2023-10-18 15:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-18 15:58 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Zea_Mays
Jorge Payan
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ES>EN Localization/Transcreation of a video game during development, rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »