William Yang
China
Local time: 00:42
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
How do we judge a screening is a goodwill or not. Jan 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

In the past, I have done dozens of applications like this that ask for all kinds of documentation and require you to do a translation test.

I have never, ever, had any work from any of them.

So a simple rule applies: the more work you are asked to do to enrol with an agency, the less likely it is that they will ever give you any work. [/quote]

How do we judge whether a screening is a goodwill or not, as it's understandable to shortlist candidates? Is the test fair enough?

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:42
English to Romanian
+ ...
Tests Jan 9, 2022

William Yang wrote:

I have never, ever, had any work from any of them.

It happened to me as well. Everyone must have had such experiences, especially at the beginning of one's career.

At some point, I even did a transcreation test. When I received the request, I didn't even know what transcreation was exactly.
I took the time to do it. It was not easy. After a while, they came back to me. They told me I was a pearl, whatever that means. Never heard from them again.

Years later, the experience proved useful, though. A different agency had a multi-lingual transcreation job. I knew exactly how to deal with the agency for that job. I was paid EUR 50,00 for two words. Retrospectively, not enough, but it was an interesting challenge.

By the way, I had initially requested EUR 60,00, which was politely accepted, with the reproach that Romanian had become their most expensive language for that project.

Devious as I am, I had researched and found an agency in the same country charged £ 200,00 per transcreation project, so initially I thought I had been rather modest.

Tests might make sense in a limited number of cases (e.g. when one is at the beginning of one's career), but otherwise we should be able to prove to clients our competence and reliability without having to pass a test.

Liviu-Lee Roth

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
@Mihai Badea Jan 9, 2022

Sorry it's a misquote from Mr. Tom in London, my lines should be:

How do we judge whether a screening is a goodwill or not, as it's understandable to shortlist candidates? Is the test fair enough? [/quote]

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 19:42
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe, maybe not Jan 10, 2022

@Mihai Badea

Given that their English is poor, they might as well have meant something else.
However, those terms - in their current form - go against the freedom of speech guaranteed by the Constitution of the Romanian State and by the policies of the EU. I have my doubts concerning the existence of this right in their country.
How can I consent to being held liable or even prosecuted because of something I translated to the best of my abilities? I understand willful of
... See more
@Mihai Badea

Given that their English is poor, they might as well have meant something else.
However, those terms - in their current form - go against the freedom of speech guaranteed by the Constitution of the Romanian State and by the policies of the EU. I have my doubts concerning the existence of this right in their country.
How can I consent to being held liable or even prosecuted because of something I translated to the best of my abilities? I understand willful offences but not this.

Regarding the 3-year period, I might close my business down, get sick, have an accident, move, travel and what not. How could I possibly control such events? Also, aren't mistakes supposed to be spotted and corrected BEFORE releasing any work to the market?
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Misquote Jan 10, 2022

William Yang wrote:

How do we judge whether a screening is a goodwill or not, as it's understandable to shortlist candidates? Is the test fair enough?
[/quote]

Sorry about that.

@Sorana_M: We should, indeed, always pay attention to where the client is based. For translators in EU, non-EU clients can be slightly more problematic.

Re:errors in translation

Errors can happen, regardless of the best efforts to minimize the risk and, generally, they will be forgiven unless there is some obvious bad faith.

Of course, a professional insurance can provide some protection and, possibly, peace of mind. There are insurance companies which issue professional insurance policies in Romania as well.

In case my above suggestion went unnoticed, pointing errors in the original is not only a way to make sure you avoid misinterpretations, but also a sort of symbolic insurance against potential prosecution in case of some translation error.

As a general rule, when you assume good faith, you are of good faith, things will turn all right, even if our imperfect human nature might - hopefully, very rarely - resurface in our translations.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Errors Jan 10, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

Errors can happen, regardless of the best efforts to minimize the risk and, generally, they will be forgiven unless there is some obvious bad faith.

Like I said, their English is not that great but they mentioned something about me giving their translations to others???
Which does not match the intent of the original terms...
For me, the words "political risk" automatically raised a red flag - and I presume you are well aware of the time when Romania used the same excuse to control the media - all of it - and the population... And of the consequences of such an action...

So yeah, if I involuntarily make translation mistakes, of course it's my duty to correct them.
But political risks after the work has entered the market (their words) are a totally different issue.

Later edit: their Basic Law grants their citizens /freedom of speech, of the press and of publication; freedom of association, of assembly, of procession and of demonstration; and the right and freedom to form and join trade unions; and to strike./
If so, I wonder what the Law deems as political risks that I may be held liable for...

[Edited at 2022-01-10 20:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-01-10 21:07 GMT]

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Political risk Jan 10, 2022

In tensed times, a translation error can create significant political risk.

If you think this client might be able to offer interesting work, I suggest you should ask for clarifications directly.

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sir, your post in inspiring. Jan 11, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

William Yang wrote:

Sorry about that.

@Sorana_M: We should, indeed, always pay attention to where the client is based. For translators in EU, non-EU clients can be slightly more problematic.

Re:errors in translation

Of course, a professional insurance can provide some protection and, possibly, peace of mind. There are insurance companies which issue professional insurance policies in Romania as well.

In case my above suggestion went unnoticed, pointing errors in the original is not only a way to make sure you avoid misinterpretations, but also a sort of symbolic insurance against potential prosecution in case of some translation error.

As a general rule, when you assume good faith, you are of good faith, things will turn all right, even if our imperfect human nature might - hopefully, very rarely - resurface in our translations.
[/quote]
Sir, your post in inspiring. I like it , thanks.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
You're welcome Jan 11, 2022

William Yang wrote:

Sir, your post in inspiring. I like it , thanks.

Glad you found it useful.

Regards,

Mihai

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Not feeling safe Jan 11, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

In tensed times, a translation error can create significant political risk.

If you think this client might be able to offer interesting work, I suggest you should ask for clarifications directly.

The only gut feeling I have is I don't feel safe.
I really don't want to lose any sleep over a potential translation error that might or might not be subjectively interpreted as political risk.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Unusual practice Jan 12, 2022

It should be said that it is very unusual for an agency or even a direct client to request a copy of identity papers. Nor do they send you copies of their documents in order to persuade you they are who they say they are.

[Edited at 2022-01-12 03:21 GMT]

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Membership Gift Jan 15, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:

The only gut feeling I have is I don't feel safe.
I really don't want to lose any sleep over a potential translation error that might or might not be subjectively interpreted as political risk.

Hi Sorana,

Just to let you know I made use of the Membership Gift feature, and you should be able to start using Blue Board soon fully. This should allow you to read the comments made by colleagues who already worked for those agencies, and thus have a more accurate view of the practices of the respective agencies.

I hope that will help a bit with alleviating your anxieties which, by the way, are quite normal!

Good luck!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What is membership gift? Jan 16, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

Just to let you know I made use of the Membership Gift feature,

Sorry for the off-topic question, but what is that "membership gift" feature?
I searched for it but nothing came up.
Do you mean the gift of 4000 BrowniZ that give the recepient 25% off?

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
Japanese to English
+ ...
Identity papers Jan 16, 2022

I beg to differ with Tom in London on one point. The reluctant agency says: "Change your rating and we will send you the money". My practice is: "no money, no rating change". Tom happened to be lucky with this agency. Some agencies will disappear after the rating has changed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy of identity papers BEFORE a real assignment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »