Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spagna
Local time: 11:31
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Aug 25, 2011

Good day to all,

I just installed Trados 2009 SP3 the other day which I bought with a Group Buy from ProZ.com.
Having installed it and started to work on a project I went to bed last night happy with my new purchase (I had tried the trial version and encountered no significant problems, after spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs). This morning of course I can't re-open the project, the files, restart a new project or file, in fact I CAN'T EVEN NAVIGATE AWAY FROM TH
... See more
Good day to all,

I just installed Trados 2009 SP3 the other day which I bought with a Group Buy from ProZ.com.
Having installed it and started to work on a project I went to bed last night happy with my new purchase (I had tried the trial version and encountered no significant problems, after spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs). This morning of course I can't re-open the project, the files, restart a new project or file, in fact I CAN'T EVEN NAVIGATE AWAY FROM THE EDITOR SCREEN, the other menus won't open, I've uninstalled and re-installed - exactly the same problems.
The whole thing is frozen, I can't even close the porgram.

I'm not going to waste more time on it - i've lost yesterday afternoon's work and 3 hours this mroning trying to resolve my problems.

How can I get a refund, any experience, I paid for it 6 days ago.

Here are some my error messages:
1) Key not found Parameter name: key (if I try the Knowledge Bases' recommendations - it's impossible as I'm stuck in "editor view" - recommendations are to "reorganise TM", but can't enter TM view).
2) Failed to deactive Editor view (this is the best one as it means the program is frozen in useless mode)
3) Cannot access site before the view part has been initialized
4) Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results

As I say have restarted the program, reinstalled the program, tried creating new projects, tried just opening single files, but nothing works.

REFUND TIME!!!!!!!!1

[Edited at 2011-08-25 10:39 GMT]
Collapse

Rebelo Júnior
Rebelo Júnior  Identity Verified
Brasile
Local time: 06:31
Da Inglese a Portoghese
+ ...
SDL Profile Aug 25, 2011

Neil, I know that SDL has some technical support personnel with Proz.com profiles. Take a look and send them an email. They might help you. Rgeards, Rebelo.

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks Rebelo Aug 25, 2011

Thanks for the info., but having read that so many people still have problems, I just want a refund.....
Any product we buy is protected under consumer rights law by a 28 days refund no questions asked - this is in the UK where I bought it...not sure for other countries.
My problem is exercising my right with SDL.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2003)
Da Polacco a Tedesco
+ ...
Remove the settings files Aug 25, 2011

and restart the program:
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\BaseSettings.xml
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\UserSettings.xml

Usually I wouldn't even repeat the paths, as this (Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results) is a very well known error, resulting from damaged setting files.
Don't ask me why the files get damaged - this can have various rea
... See more
and restart the program:
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\BaseSettings.xml
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\UserSettings.xml

Usually I wouldn't even repeat the paths, as this (Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results) is a very well known error, resulting from damaged setting files.
Don't ask me why the files get damaged - this can have various reason, as for example switching off the computer instead of closing Windows or switching it off faster than Windows could close and so on...
Collapse

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks a million Jerzy Aug 25, 2011

Thank you a million Jerzy, so simple yet effective.....it worked, everything is unblocked and has been working for ten minutes now!!!!

I will look for you when I need to export to Word.....

Thanks once again, the stress is being released from my body as I write.

However I still ask anyone out there to tell me about their experiences in asking for a refund for Trados.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 04:31
Da Tedesco a Inglese
Consumer rights? Aug 25, 2011

DrNeil TechTran wrote: Any product we buy is protected under consumer rights law by a 28 days refund no questions asked - this is in the UK where I bought it...not sure for other countries.

That's an interesting proposition. Are you a consumer when you buy a translation software product (doesn't have to be Studio, could be any one), or are you a business? In other words, is it a B2C or a B2B transaction? Do you intend using the software for business purposes (i.e. translating for money), or just for pleasure? Will you claim the cost of the software as a business expense (in which case you're using it for business purposes), or is tax-deductibility ruled out by tax law as in the case of all consumer purchases?

Maybe you need to speak to a lawyer.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
Really? Aug 25, 2011

DrNeil TechTran wrote:

Any product we buy is protected under consumer rights law by a 28 days refund no questions asked - this is in the UK where I bought it...not sure for other countries.

Hungary definitely has no such law, and, to be honest, I have trouble believing that the UK does.
Obviously, this can't apply to items like food ("I ate half this loaf but decided I don't like it after all. Could I have my money back?"). Even then, are you saying an English lady can buy an evening dress, wear it to a wedding and take it back to the shop two weeks later? Or "rent" a lawnmower for a few weeks, or a high-end camera for your holiday? I hardly think so. Maybe this applies only if you haven't opened the packaging or used the item, but even then it would be a bit radical and its application to a sw product would be doubtful.

Maybe another UK poster can shed some light on this.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2003)
Da Polacco a Tedesco
+ ...
AFAIR... Aug 25, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
Even then, are you saying an English lady can buy an evening dress, wear it to a wedding and take it back to the shop two weeks later?...

-joke mode on-
This will indeed not work.

An elderly lady decided to visit a banquet. To make certain people will play enough attention to her appearance, she entered the banquet naked.
During a banquet two gentlemen were then talking about her, as she passed them just few seconds before.
"Do you know that lady?"
"I unfortunately cannot recognize her. But I am afraid her dress needs some ironing."
"Oh well, you are completely right, now when I take a closer look..."
-joke mode off-

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
28 days later....... Aug 25, 2011

@ Robin
If you must know I paid tax and will not reclaim it.
I bought with my UK account as it was cheaper in £, but I work from Spain and so cannot reclaim the VAT or claim it as an expense (tax-deductable).
Lawyers satisified.

@Robin &Farkas & any other non-helpful, sarcastic remarkers

Yes, you may buy a dress (not a wedding dress) wear it to a party/wedding and return it within 28 days. If there are no stains / damage and you did not remove the lab
... See more
@ Robin
If you must know I paid tax and will not reclaim it.
I bought with my UK account as it was cheaper in £, but I work from Spain and so cannot reclaim the VAT or claim it as an expense (tax-deductable).
Lawyers satisified.

@Robin &Farkas & any other non-helpful, sarcastic remarkers

Yes, you may buy a dress (not a wedding dress) wear it to a party/wedding and return it within 28 days. If there are no stains / damage and you did not remove the label, then you may refund the item, that is the law. It is dishonest but legal.

I returned a bag of milk today because I opened it and it was bad, I only bought it yesterday, is that not typical?

Obviously I was expecting a bit of pragmatism when I made the comment about full refund within 28 days, of course you can't eat half of something, ask for a hotel refund when you leave, etc. etc.
I thought people tried to be helpful on this site.
I was, of course questioning the ability to apply for/request a refund for a software product. I've never been unsatisfied with a software product until SDL came along.

Here's an example of EU consumer rights law which you might like to study and alleviate some of your ignorance:
http://ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/en.pdf (see page 10 for a similar case to mine, non-material product bought from the internet) IT QUOTES A COOLING OFF PERIOD OF 30 DAYS

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO DO TRY AND HELP

[Edited at 2011-08-25 14:36 GMT]
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:31
Da Inglese a Italiano
Refund Aug 25, 2011

Dear DrNeil

I am from SDL and we spotted the issue.

I did send you an email directly via Proz - I am not sure if you have received it.

I did suggest support and refund. Hopefully you have the message. Feel free to get in touch.

Regards
Massi

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 10:31
Membro (2004)
Da Inglese a Lettone
+ ...
Obviously consumers in the UK are treated better Aug 25, 2011

than in Hungary and I do not see any reason for the sarcasm.

Yes, you can buy a loaf of bread, eat half of it and, having discovered mould in the other half, take if back to the shop for a full refund. You can happily munch away half of your bag of apples and take the other half back for full refund if it turns out the rest of the apples are bad. In fact, I have taken back jeans that shrunk (and not in the way that would imply that I have gained weight but in a way that would mean
... See more
than in Hungary and I do not see any reason for the sarcasm.

Yes, you can buy a loaf of bread, eat half of it and, having discovered mould in the other half, take if back to the shop for a full refund. You can happily munch away half of your bag of apples and take the other half back for full refund if it turns out the rest of the apples are bad. In fact, I have taken back jeans that shrunk (and not in the way that would imply that I have gained weight but in a way that would mean I had somehow acquired the ability to grow) full 9 months after I bought them since I washed them according to the information displayed on care label. And I got brand new pair of jeans and profuse apologies.

These are basic consumer rights. The same should apply to Trados, but I have a sneaking suspicion that wrestling a refund out of SDL's claws would be basically impossible. I would be very happy to hear that I am wrong in this.
Collapse

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Hungary is in the EU Aug 25, 2011

In the UK we follow and apply laws more adherently than in most other EU countries.

And look at all the doubters, SDL are offering me a refund!!

If you don't ask, you don't get, maybe that's the problem in Hungary.

I wouldn't be surprised that the refund is being offered because it has to be offered by law. Simple.

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
@ Massi Aug 25, 2011

Thank you for your comment.

I have not received an email in my normal email nor a message in my ProZ.com inbox......

However, my email is sometimes delayed by hours!!

(I don't have much with technology and think I may go back to pen and paper translation)

Regards
Neil

toad
toad
Local time: 12:31
Da Inglese a Svedese
+ ...
I did Aug 25, 2011

I got a refund a few months ago, when it turned out that i had upgraded to Studio just a few days before a better offer was announced. SDL certainly didn't have to do it, but i don't think it's in any companys interest to upset their customers by being petty and unreasonable. They lost 30 euros but gained a happy customer. Thank you, sdl!

Pagine:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

REFUND ON SDL PRODUCTS? New Trados 2009 SP3 - SECOND use and nothing will work

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »