Pagine:   < [1 2]
Off topic: How many words a person can translate in a day?
Iniziatore argomento: Rajan Chopra
Mark Xiang
Mark Xiang
Local time: 17:18
Da Inglese a Cinese
+ ...
In that case, your friend is a millionaire now!^_^ Feb 23, 2005

Let's suppose the rate is USD0.08/word. If one translates 3000 words per hour and works 8 hours per day, 1 week (7 days) every month, he/she will earn USD3000 X 0.08 X 8 X 7=USD13,440.00 every month.

If he/she works two weeks and the rate is USD0.05/word, his/her monthly income is USD16,800.00.

If he/she works 15 days every month and the rate is USD0.10/word, his/her monthly income is USD36,000.00.

Easy to become a millionaire? ^_^

Mark

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 11:18
Lingue multiple (vengono usate diverse lingue)
+ ...
typing speed as one inherent variable of translation speed Mar 1, 2005

ace-translation wrote:
If we take into account secretarial standards of about 45 words per minute, a well trained secretary should be able to type 2700 words/hour. This, of course, is only possible if she/he maintains the same output for 60 minutes (without blowing her/his nose, drinking, sneezing, yawning...)
It is also worth mentioning that we are only talking about typing here and not translating...

GoodWords wrote:
I hope my post on typing speeds isn't misinterpreted as saying that typing and translating are almost alike. My point is that if a good typist can only type, say 2000 words per hour (allowing time for blowing the nose, drinking, etc.), (and who could keep that up without a break for hour after hour?), then any claim for translation speed has to take this figure as a baseline. It would be unreal to imagine that someone could translate faster than a mere typist could type.

See the following post which provides the reference to my article (available online at no cost) containing a survey of translation speed that I conducted in early 2004. I also explained in that article how typing speed is one (very important but not only) variable in determining translation speed:

http://www.proz.com/post/207158#207158

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

[Edited at 2005-03-01 15:49]

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
Francia
Lingue multiple (vengono usate diverse lingue)
+ ...
impossible to type 3000-4000 words in 30 min Mar 1, 2005

langclinic wrote:
I had the chance of having a chat with one of my friends day before yesterday. During the course of chat, he informed me that he can translate and type 3000-4000 words in just 30 minutes. When I expressed my disbelief, he extended the time and said that he can do so in a maximum time of 60 minutes.

This is impossible. This represents burst typing at a rate of 100-133 words per minute if done during a time slot of 30 minutes.

The word record typing speed is around 150 wpm. I know a person who could do 127 wpm.

I took 2 years of traditional typing courses when I was in junior high school and made it to 72 wpm with 3 mistakes. I don't recall having known any of my peers during that time period who went higher than 75.

Typing is reproducing character by character what is written on a piece of paper in front of you. It is only reflex-based. If the world record is 150, then it is impossible for someone to perform cognitive translation processes plus physical reflex via the fingers at near world-record typing speed.

I've had heard of people in my survey work who dictated into a conventional dictation system at a rate of 15,000 words and up to 22,000 words per day, with typists behind them doing the typing. But then they were completely out of commission without a voice for several days afterward.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Bill Lao
Bill Lao
Local time: 17:18
Da Inglese a Cinese
+ ...
normaly 2000-3000 words per day Mar 26, 2005

normaly 2000-3000 words per day

Mario Marcolin
Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Svezia
Membro (2003)
Da Inglese a Svedese
+ ...
4000 /day Mar 30, 2005

On a well-known subject: 7-8000 day which then needs editing, giving an average of 4000/day

Pagine:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many words a person can translate in a day?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »