small claims across eu countries
Iniziatore argomento: filmprod
filmprod
filmprod
Inglese
Feb 22, 2007

Hi. I am based in Germany and did some work for a client in the UK. The client ignores my invoices. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for recovering a small amount of money which is owed to me? (€800)

[Edited at 2007-02-22 10:31]

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
Money Claim by the Court Service Feb 22, 2007

I got paid by an agency through the Money Claim System and it was quite quick.......I think it scares then...however I think you have to have an UK address.....Have a look and good luck.
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

filmprod
filmprod
Inglese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
but can I use this if my business address is in Germany? Feb 22, 2007

I do in fact have a uk address, but I am now tax resident in germany and my invoice is under a german address. Will I get rejected for this if I go through the normal uk domestic small claims?
Do I have to go through a special eu process?

Jesús Marín Mateos wrote:

I got paid by an agency through the Money Claim System and it was quite quick.......I think it scares then...however I think you have to have an UK address.....Have a look and good luck.
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
Local time: 02:12
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...
Business address in Germany Feb 22, 2007

No. It makes no difference to a UK money claim online where you are resident or tax-domiciled.

Just make sure that your client still exists - if a regd. co. in England & Wales - not Scotland nor N.I., do an online co. search to see it's not gone under in an A for administration, an L for liquidation or R for receivership:

wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/d61fdde5a36b8775004f2787a30f521f/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

If the client is a partnership or sole trade,
... See more
No. It makes no difference to a UK money claim online where you are resident or tax-domiciled.

Just make sure that your client still exists - if a regd. co. in England & Wales - not Scotland nor N.I., do an online co. search to see it's not gone under in an A for administration, an L for liquidation or R for receivership:

wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/d61fdde5a36b8775004f2787a30f521f/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

If the client is a partnership or sole trade, you have a privacy problem to crack as neither would be regd., except with a local Chamber of Commerce or for VAT. Previously there used to be in London a Registry of Business Names for partnerships.

Either way, your claim is GBP 800 and just over the 'bankruptcy limit' of GBP 750 - meaning you can threaten with a 'statutory demand' to wind up the company or bankrupt the partnership or sole trader. But you really need a Solicitor back in the UK to do it for you. No. I am afraid I don't handle such cases.

[Edited at 2007-02-22 20:34]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

small claims across eu countries

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »