The Missing Manual (Wordpress-based website)
Thread poster: Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 18:55
English to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 4, 2022

Found a good glossary or other resource? Need one? Share links

Yes, I found this tremendous book, which I think could be hepful for any translator who would like to build a site. It is comprehensive, it is methodical, it is interesting. It is not cheap, though.

I will not share a link. I am in no significant way associated with the publishing house or the author. The book can be acquired, in the preferred format, from various providers.

WordPress: The Missi
... See more
Found a good glossary or other resource? Need one? Share links

Yes, I found this tremendous book, which I think could be hepful for any translator who would like to build a site. It is comprehensive, it is methodical, it is interesting. It is not cheap, though.

I will not share a link. I am in no significant way associated with the publishing house or the author. The book can be acquired, in the preferred format, from various providers.

WordPress: The Missing Manual: Edition 3
Matthew MacDonald
O'Reilly Media, 2020

I owned it, and I will own it again. Sadly, I lost access to my previous (digital) copy.

If you ask me, the price/quality ratio is very positive.
I do recommend this book!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Looks good Mar 4, 2022

missing manual toc
The forest store sells it for $25 in MOBI or $50 spiral-bound. I have also seen it available as a very professional-looking PDF. Since this is a book that you're going to use while using the computer, buying it in paperback doesn't make sense, but the spiral-bound option is a very nice touch.

[Edited at 2022-03-04 07:20 GMT]

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Digital Book Providers Mar 4, 2022

Samuel,

That could be an entirely different topic. Because, indeed, there are some differences.
Buying digital books is not exactly like buying paper books (the book is literally the same, regardless of where you buy it from).

In addition to the known digital book services offered by some of the GAFAM, there are also some smaller providers (one based in Australia, another is Canada etc.).

It might be worth testing a bit before comitting in the
... See more
Samuel,

That could be an entirely different topic. Because, indeed, there are some differences.
Buying digital books is not exactly like buying paper books (the book is literally the same, regardless of where you buy it from).

In addition to the known digital book services offered by some of the GAFAM, there are also some smaller providers (one based in Australia, another is Canada etc.).

It might be worth testing a bit before comitting in the long term. Rather surprisingly, there can be significant differences even in terms of price.

Good reading to everyone!

P.S. Very nice of you to publish the contents. By the way, most digital book services even provide a sample, which is helpful in case you might want to read a chaper (or two, sometimes) before making a decision.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Missing Manual (Wordpress-based website)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »