Guilherme Magalhães
Guilherme Magalhães
Brazil
Local time: 15:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 19, 2021

Hello guys,

I have two questions about translating scientific articles that I need help with,

1. Do we have to translate institutions' names? Like "Department of MCA, J N N College Of Engineering", would you guys translate it all, just some parts or not translate?

2. The Abstract part. It is usually kept in English even in other languages, so when we are translating the article from English to whatever target language it is, do we have to translate it or ke
... See more
Hello guys,

I have two questions about translating scientific articles that I need help with,

1. Do we have to translate institutions' names? Like "Department of MCA, J N N College Of Engineering", would you guys translate it all, just some parts or not translate?

2. The Abstract part. It is usually kept in English even in other languages, so when we are translating the article from English to whatever target language it is, do we have to translate it or keep it in English? I got confused in that part.

Hope you guys can help me, thank you!!
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:57
German to Swedish
+ ...
Ask the customer Oct 19, 2021

How is the translation to be used? Without that information, it's hard to reply. The best answer is "ask the customer".

That said:

1. I'd translate the department name and keep the institutional name. With internationally known institutions I'd consider translating the name ("Oxford-universitetet"). There's also the issue of affiliations to institutions outside of English-speaking countries. "Moscow State University" in a footnote would have to be translated. All trans
... See more
How is the translation to be used? Without that information, it's hard to reply. The best answer is "ask the customer".

That said:

1. I'd translate the department name and keep the institutional name. With internationally known institutions I'd consider translating the name ("Oxford-universitetet"). There's also the issue of affiliations to institutions outside of English-speaking countries. "Moscow State University" in a footnote would have to be translated. All translations need to be double checked - the institution might have a canonical name in the target language.
2. It doesn't make much sense to translate the article (for the benefit of non-English speakers?) but keep the English abstract, without even an accompanying translation.

There's no "one size fits all" solution. It depends on length, text structure, mode of publication etc. I'd generally go for readability, which means translating everything that doesn't look too silly in the target language.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-10-19 19:22 GMT]
Collapse

Eduardo Vera Palomino
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
yam2u

Eduardo Vera Palomino
Eduardo Vera Palomino
Peru
Local time: 13:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Consider the use of the translated text Oct 20, 2021

Each journal and each style guide has its own recommendations for dealing with names in foreign languages (and translate them — or not). Also, as far as I've seen, articles originally published in Spanish (in medical journals) have the abstract both in Spanish and English (the last, I suppose, for indexation in citation databases).

As a rule of thumb, I would translate the institution names and the abstract, but the specific formats will depend on the final use of the text and the
... See more
Each journal and each style guide has its own recommendations for dealing with names in foreign languages (and translate them — or not). Also, as far as I've seen, articles originally published in Spanish (in medical journals) have the abstract both in Spanish and English (the last, I suppose, for indexation in citation databases).

As a rule of thumb, I would translate the institution names and the abstract, but the specific formats will depend on the final use of the text and the guidelines of the client. For example, if you're translating an article to republish it in another journal (assuming the client has the rights to do so), you may want to review the style guide of that journal.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tina Vonhof (X)
neilmac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate scientific articles

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »