Thread poster: lvkj
lvkj
lvkj
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 25, 2013

Has anyone out there used the Google Translator Toolkit? If so can you please give me some feedback? Also what do you think about Google owning the copyright for your translation?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:11
English to French
+ ...
Ask not... Feb 25, 2013

.. whether "Google owns your translation copyright", because if you translate using GTK, it is not YOUR translation but Google's.

Plus, depending on your TenT, whatever you decide to deliver to your customer may or may not be sent back to Google.

However, myself, I would wonder whether my customer is pleased with its copy being sent to Google.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do a forum search for "gtt" Feb 25, 2013

lvkj wrote:
Has anyone out there used the Google Translator Toolkit? If so can you please give me some feedback?

One of the worst web-based CAT tools. Do a forum search for "gtt" to see some threads that mention it.

Also what do you think about Google owning the copyright for your translation?

That too has been discussed before, and there are yay sayers and nay sayers in this issue.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:11
Russian to English
+ ...
An analysis of privacy and security in GTK Feb 25, 2013

http://www2.multilizer.com/multilizer-online-translation-outsourcing/privacy-and-security-in-google-translator-toolkit/

This is an analysis done by Multilizer, a company that sells a localization tool. It may make you feel a little better about GTK. Then again, it may not.

Summarizing, here's
... See more
http://www2.multilizer.com/multilizer-online-translation-outsourcing/privacy-and-security-in-google-translator-toolkit/

This is an analysis done by Multilizer, a company that sells a localization tool. It may make you feel a little better about GTK. Then again, it may not.

Summarizing, here's what it says:

- If you give Google permission, it can use your translations for its own purposes, whatever they may be, and make them available to others using GTK on an individual TU basis -- but not in their entirety.

- You need not grant permission, but that is the default. You can restrict usage to yourself, but you need to so specify.

- If you grant permission, you can revoke it later. It also says once you delete your translations from their server, they're gone.

I haven't seen anything in the Google TOS that says you're giving them a copyright to your translations. So what it boils down to is this: How much do you trust Google?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Multilizer's information is outdated Feb 26, 2013

James McVay wrote:
This is an analysis done by Multilizer...

The analysis linked to above is based on the old terms-of-service, which Google recently replaced. If I remember correctly, in the past, Google had a general terms-of-service that applied to all services, and then some services had additional an terms-of-service that would override the general terms-of-service in cases of conflict. Recently, Google "standardised" their terms-of-service so that all services (with one or two exceptions) use a single, general terms-of-service.

Even if you follow the links to the old GTT terms-of-service, it takes you to the new, general, overall terms-of-service. The main location of the new terms-of-service is:

http://www.google.com/policies/terms/

The paragraphs most relevant to us, are:

1. Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

2. When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to [do stuff] ... for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones.

3. Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service.

4. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

With regard to #3, when I use GTT, I don't see any option for removing translations from the globally shared translation memory. I suspect that once you've submitted content to the translation memory, then it will remain in the translation memory unless you send Google's legal department a letter.

I have no problem with #2. It basically says that you give them permission to perform the service using your content. If you don't give Google permission to display your content back at you, or to process your content in order to generate a machine match or a fuzzy match, then it is logical that you won't be able to use the service.

As for #4, I think that if you do not to submit content to the globally shared TM, it would not contradict any NDA except if the NDA specifically prohibits using this service or this type of service.

Note that whenever you upload a file to GTT, you have to specifically disable sharing with the globally shared TM -- GTT does not remember the setting from file to file, and the default is to share with everyone.

As far as I can tell, simply uploading a file to GTT does not result in it being added to the TM. The segments are only added to the TM as you edit them in the translation editor pane. This means that you would not have to deselect global sharing when you upload the file, but only when you start translating the file. Nonetheless, I would disable global sharing immediately, as a good habit.

I'm not sure if you can get matches from the globally shared TM if you don't submit matches to the globally shared TM, but I suspect you can. I suspect that if you leave the globally shared TM enabled when you upload the file, it performs matching against the TM for the pre-translation, but if you then disable the globally shared TM when you start translating, your edits will not be submitted to the globally shared TM.

I believe that if you delete an uploaded or translated file from your account, and you delete it also from the Trash folder in your account, then that file is gone from Google's servers.

[Edited at 2013-02-26 10:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator Toolkit - feedback needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »