Thread poster: Francesco Amormino (X)
Francesco Amormino (X)
Francesco Amormino (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 13, 2007

Hi everybody,

I am looking for an effective and easy-to-use accounting and translation management solution. I don't run a translation agency: We are just two partners working together as a team in the same room and sharing our files and ressources through a lan.

Since now we have been using Translation Office 3000. Before installing V8 we were able to access our TO 3000 database from different PC (though not simultaneously, but this has never been a problem). After inst
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am looking for an effective and easy-to-use accounting and translation management solution. I don't run a translation agency: We are just two partners working together as a team in the same room and sharing our files and ressources through a lan.

Since now we have been using Translation Office 3000. Before installing V8 we were able to access our TO 3000 database from different PC (though not simultaneously, but this has never been a problem). After installing version 8 this was not possible any more. We have tried installing version 7 but we are not able to access the Translation Office 3000 database via network anymore. We just can use it locally but we would prefer having both access to the database thus avoiding that only one of us can can change the data.

My suggestion would be to contact TO 3000 support team in order to ask for the development of an "intermediate" version for thos professionals who do not work alone but in couples or more but, on the other hand, do not outsource their translation jobs. I hope I am still clear...

On the other hand, I am looking for some valid alternatives. I have found project open (http://www.project-open.com), which seems to be a good and effective tool. Moreover, it is free, but this is not really important to me. What scares me of this program is that there are several adjustments to be made in order to make it function properly and in a personalized way. For example, it gives you the opportunity to create templates for your invoices, but you have to work with HTML source codes.

There is also an application called Translator's Office Manager (www.jovo-soft.de) but I don't think you can use it on a network environment in the freelance edition and if you want to personalized some of the functions you also have to buy FileMaker.

Is there anyone who could give us some advice on this matter?

Are there any other colleagues (no agencies who outsource jobs) who would need such an accounting and translation management tool able to function on a network environment and would be interested in using such a tool?

I would very much appreciate receiving your feedback and ideas.

Have a nice day,

Francesco

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-13 15:59]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The same problem Mar 27, 2007

Hi Francesco!
Me and my partner been facing similar problems too; the only difference is that we have not used any translation management software before.
I've been looking for a similar kind of software but there are a lot of "BUT's":

1. Project Open - an open source software, as you know. Customization is not the problem because it does not need it. IF you want to customize it though, HTML is no good here since the entire software is written in PHP. The most serious pr
... See more
Hi Francesco!
Me and my partner been facing similar problems too; the only difference is that we have not used any translation management software before.
I've been looking for a similar kind of software but there are a lot of "BUT's":

1. Project Open - an open source software, as you know. Customization is not the problem because it does not need it. IF you want to customize it though, HTML is no good here since the entire software is written in PHP. The most serious problem, however, is that you have to have your own server connected to the Internet backbone line if you want to get access to the system over the Internet. Unfortunately enough, such service costs a bunch if you want to have reasonable speed and unlimited traffic.
Anyway, if you want to share your files over LAN, Project Open might be a perfect solution for you.

2. Translation Office Management Software - a reasonably priced ($25.0) database software mainly for freelancers. Not designed for network applications.

3. SDL Synergy - a professional tool by SDL Trados. You can either choose a client application (freelancers; included in the SDL Trados 2007 suite) or a version with a client-server application. Nevertheless, this is a really expensive solution designed for professional agencies with hundreds of freelancers accross the world. Moreover, it requires a backbone server with MS Server 2000/2003, apparently licensed to unlimited number of users, so I doubt this would cost you less than € 100,000.

So the only way for me to crack this nut is to ask my brother, who is a programmer, to build a lightweight application supporting some essential functions necessary for small translation teams that could run on a usual website.

I've been serching the web thoroughly to find anything suitable but found nothing.

Sorry, but no other suggestions as for now.
Collapse

Francesco Amormino (X)
Francesco Amormino (X)  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is still hope, I guess! Mar 28, 2007

Hi Stanislav,

thank you for your interesting considerations.

Since I am not willing to accept that things cannot change for the better I have contacted T0 3000 staff and asked them if they could possibly implement network capibilities for TO 3000. I did not receive a clear "yes" yet, but they wrote me that they are trying to solve my problem for my satisfaction. I think there is no sense in changing a software which works correctly and in an almost satisfactory way. Sof
... See more
Hi Stanislav,

thank you for your interesting considerations.

Since I am not willing to accept that things cannot change for the better I have contacted T0 3000 staff and asked them if they could possibly implement network capibilities for TO 3000. I did not receive a clear "yes" yet, but they wrote me that they are trying to solve my problem for my satisfaction. I think there is no sense in changing a software which works correctly and in an almost satisfactory way. Software guys can do much more than simply implement a network capability in a software. I think they just need some time and (obviously) a good portion of will.

I will let you know (if AIT people don't do it) about further developments on this matter.

Ciao,

Francesco

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Francesco!

1. Project Open - an open source software, as you know. Customization is not the problem because it does not need it. IF you want to customize it though, HTML is no good here since the entire software is written in PHP. The most serious problem, however, is that you have to have your own server connected to the Internet backbone line if you want to get access to the system over the Internet. Unfortunately enough, such service costs a bunch if you want to have reasonable speed and unlimited traffic.
Anyway, if you want to share your files over LAN, Project Open might be a perfect solution for you.

2. Translation Office Management Software - a reasonably priced ($25.0) database software mainly for freelancers. Not designed for network applications.

3. SDL Synergy - a professional tool by SDL Trados. You can either choose a client application (freelancers; included in the SDL Trados 2007 suite) or a version with a client-server application. Nevertheless, this is a really expensive solution designed for professional agencies with hundreds of freelancers accross the world. Moreover, it requires a backbone server with MS Server 2000/2003, apparently licensed to unlimited number of users, so I doubt this would cost you less than € 100,000.

So the only way for me to crack this nut is to ask my brother, who is a programmer, to build a lightweight application supporting some essential functions necessary for small translation teams that could run on a usual website.

I've been serching the web thoroughly to find anything suitable but found nothing.

Sorry, but no other suggestions as for now.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accounting and translation management software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »