Pallavi Mehta  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:09
Member (2020)
Hindi to Gujarati
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 23, 2023

Have anyone worked with GRAND ACHIEVE LIBRARY AND ART COMPANY?
They are offering quite good rates but Not traceable anywhere else except their website https://archive.org/
Can anyone help if they are scam or trustworthy regarding payments???

Justin Peterson
Nooshin Mohammadiasl nmasl12

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:39
German to English
Two different entities Dec 23, 2023

The URL you provide is for the Internet Archive, which as their website indicates is "a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more". It's certainly possible that they might need translators. However "GRAND ACHIEVE LIBRARY AND ART COMPANY" is something different altogether.

Pallavi Mehta
Pallavi Mehta  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:09
Member (2020)
Hindi to Gujarati
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Not sure Dec 25, 2023

Kevin Fulton wrote:

The URL you provide is for the Internet Archive, which as their website indicates is "a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more". It's certainly possible that they might need translators. However "GRAND ACHIEVE LIBRARY AND ART COMPANY" is something different altogether.

I am not sure about their identity but they are offering more than $25 per page which is more strange. NGO or library can't afford this rate.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 07:39
Japanese to English
Trust your instincts Dec 27, 2023

Priya Mehta wrote:

I am not sure about their identity but they are offering more than $25 per page which is more strange. NGO or library can't afford this rate.

You should trust your instincts and experience on this one. If it seems too good to be true, there's a reason why.

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
Local time: 09:39
German to English
+ ...
I would try it... Dec 31, 2023

...but with limited quantity. Ask them if you can be paid in batches. Don't accept absurd volumes right from the start. If they are serious about it, they will at least give you a resaonable answer why it does/doesn't work your way.

Good luck!

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 04:39
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
Thread on Translation Directory suggests this is a known scam Dec 31, 2023

Hi, Priya.

This thread on the Translation Directory suggests this is a known scam:

https://www.translationdirectory.com/forum/threads/?5193

Were you contacted through ProZ.com? If so, can you
... See more
Hi, Priya.

This thread on the Translation Directory suggests this is a known scam:

https://www.translationdirectory.com/forum/threads/?5193

Were you contacted through ProZ.com? If so, can you forward your communications to support[at]proz.com or submit a support request with your exchanges, so that I can block them from accessing the site?

ProZ.com encourages all users to thoroughly check any new client that they start negotiating with, whether you contact them or they contact you, and whether you meet them on the site or elsewhere. For this reason, I want to share with you this short guide on how to check a new client » and a link to our Risk Management center »

I hope you find this useful.

Best,

Andrea
ProZ.com Team
Collapse

Peter Motte
IrinaN
Pallavi Mehta
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Who knows?! Dec 31, 2023

Hi Andrea,

just had a look at your link. If I am not completely blind, there is nothing that directly hints to a scam for this entity (or whatever it may be)... The only thing that is mentioned are thoughts of users from this website.

You never know until you know... I would still try it. ^^ But as written before, start with low speed...

Arne

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Just contacted by them Jan 29

This looks like a scam
They're writing by WhatsApp
The webpage they cite has nothing to do with them ...

Priya Mehta wrote:

They are offering quite good rates but Not traceable anywhere else except their website https://archive.org/

Sofia Gutkin
Jorge Payan

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Still clueless... Jan 29

Justin Peterson wrote:

This looks like a scam
They're writing by WhatsApp
The webpage they cite has nothing to do with them ...

Priya Mehta wrote:

What did he/she write/want from you?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
The scam is obvious Jan 29

Arne Krueger wrote:

Hi Andrea,

just had a look at your link. If I am not completely blind, there is nothing that directly hints to a scam for this entity (or whatever it may be)... The only thing that is mentioned are thoughts of users from this website.

Hi Arne,

Didn't you notice the email address provided by that 'William Mack project director'? The email is [email protected] - which is absolutely enough for qualifying this as a 100% scam. Not to mention that obviously 'archive' has been changed to 'achieve', as well multiple other inconsistencies pointed out by the poster Robert Fraschetti on 02-12-2023 at 16:40.

Barbara Carrara
Zea_Mays
IrinaN
Sofia Gutkin
Pallavi Mehta

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No... Jan 29

Natalie wrote:

Arne Krueger wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Hi Arne,

Didn't you notice the email address provided by that 'William Mack project director'? The email is [email protected] - which is absolutely enough for qualifying this as a 100% scam. Not to mention that obviously 'archive' has been changed to 'achieve', as well multiple other inconsistencies pointed out by the poster Robert Fraschetti on 02-12-2023 at 16:40.

...I did not notice it. Thanks. But apart from that - I am a fan of presumption of innocence...

If you read my previous entries, I did not say it is not a scam... All I wrote was to be careful; or at least I tried to convey it.

I was once contacted by somebody from Kyrgyzstan with no address, no traceable records... And surprise, surprise: it worked. You do not know the motives of people contacting you. You just find it out after some time. This is unfortunately always the case in life.

So, if anybody has proof that this address or contact is a scam, let us know. I am more than happy to give it a thumbs up then.

Sofia Gutkin
Sofia Gutkin  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:39
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Just been contacted by this scammer Jan 29

Hi everyone,

I just received an email from "Patrick Lawrence on behalf of Achieve Library in Los Angeles". The email address, however, belongs to William Mack Charon . If this isn't enough to ring alarm bells, the email itself is extremely vague:

"After reviewing your profile, we believe your expertise in translation aligns perfectly with the requirements of our upcoming project. This project entails translating documents related to story. Given your background and expe
... See more
Hi everyone,

I just received an email from "Patrick Lawrence on behalf of Achieve Library in Los Angeles". The email address, however, belongs to William Mack Charon . If this isn't enough to ring alarm bells, the email itself is extremely vague:

"After reviewing your profile, we believe your expertise in translation aligns perfectly with the requirements of our upcoming project. This project entails translating documents related to story. Given your background and experience, we are confident that you would be a valuable addition to our team for this particular project.

To give you more information about the project, it is expected to commence on [30th-1-2024] and is estimated to be completed within [7th-2-2024]. The documents to be translated will be provided to you in [English], and we require the translated versions into your own language pair and what are your language pair you can translate from English to..? Quality and accuracy are of utmost importance to us, and we expect the translated documents to be grammatically correct, culturally appropriate, and deliver the intended message accurately."

1) Achieve Library doesn't exist
2) The email address and name of scammer don't match
3) The project entails translating documents related to story (WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?)
4) We require the translated versions into your own language pair and what are your language pair you can translate from English to.. (SO THEY DON'T CARE/DON'T KNOW WHICH LANGUAGE I TRANSLATE INTO?)

I've broken this down for people like Priya and particularly Arne, since it sounds like you don't do basic background checking of new clients. It's pretty obvious if you take the time to read over the text and do a Google search. I immediately hit upon a scam alert on TC relating to this scammer... from 2016!
Collapse

Oleksandr Ivanov

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Good information... Jan 30

And since you did not answer it or tried to ask the sender what it is about, you apparantly know it is a scam.

Got you!

Again, I am not debating whether it is a scam or not. All I am saying is: It is sometimes not what it seems to be...

By the way, how come I never receive such emails??

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-30 07:42 GMT]

Oleksandr Ivanov
Oleksandr Ivanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:39
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Scammers are also using Facebook Feb 4

I was contacted by "Stump Christiana" from the Achieve Library in Los Angeles via Facebook.

"Hello how are you doing today am stump from Florida working with archive library and we are looking for freelance translator who can handle our translation project.... We would like to know which language you can translate from English to" (I responded that I translate into Ukrainian)

"We are having 113 written images that we need to be translated from English to Russian.
... See more
I was contacted by "Stump Christiana" from the Achieve Library in Los Angeles via Facebook.

"Hello how are you doing today am stump from Florida working with archive library and we are looking for freelance translator who can handle our translation project.... We would like to know which language you can translate from English to" (I responded that I translate into Ukrainian)

"We are having 113 written images that we need to be translated from English to Russian.
Budget:$4300
Deadline:is 10 days
Payment method:
Bank transfer
PayPal
Wire transfer
Online banking
Payment conditions:
1: payment must be made using the list payment method.
2: project will have to be submitted in the given deadline
3: payment in advance will not be accepted project will have to pass our moderation and interviewing process before payment is made." (I responded that I was not interested because I only translated into Ukrainian)

Further, she wrote she mistyped and they actually needed the translation into Ukrainian, and wanted to contact me on Telegram. I decided to block her on Facebook because the tale of "113 written images" reminded me of another scam attempt about a year ago where I was contacted by a "Library" from somewhere in Nova Scotia to translate a heap of image files, and blocked her.
Collapse

Sofia Gutkin

Teja Prosenc
Teja Prosenc  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
spam Grand Archive Library and Art Feb 27

Today I got the offer. From Anna Charon

So far, she only asked for name, address, country, gender ... She didn't waste many words on the method and payment term.
She sent me a "contract", which is more like an NDA. Also in this "contract" there is no information about the customer, which is only *Grandarchivelibraryandart*.

In one of the emails, she even gave me details of the company or client (name, short name, address, phone number), which appears in the "co
... See more
Today I got the offer. From Anna Charon

So far, she only asked for name, address, country, gender ... She didn't waste many words on the method and payment term.
She sent me a "contract", which is more like an NDA. Also in this "contract" there is no information about the customer, which is only *Grandarchivelibraryandart*.

In one of the emails, she even gave me details of the company or client (name, short name, address, phone number), which appears in the "contract" as *Grandarchivelibraryandart*.

The language combination was English-Spanish. However, I couldn't accept this language combination and she offered me another combination that I could accept.

And here's the offer:

We have a Job let me share the details with you
We are having 100 written images that we need to be translated from English to German
*Budget:$3500
*Deadline:is 7 days
*Payment method:
Bank transfer
*Payment conditions:
1: payment must be made using the list payment method.
2: project will have to be submitted in the given deadline
3: payment in advance will not be accepted project will have to pass our moderation and interviewing process before payment is made.

Definitely a spam.
Collapse

Francisca Bittner
Raymond Azarcon

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Grand Archive Library and Art

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »