Olav Balslev  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:35
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I'm presently translating a book into English from Danish. It's a youth novel, projected age group 12-19 or there about.

My question is, for this particular segment, how would you deal with very country-specific references, e.g.

- references to movies only known in Denmark
- references to tv shows only known in Denmark
- references to neighborhoods only known in Denmark

Any suggestions on how this can be done? I sup
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm presently translating a book into English from Danish. It's a youth novel, projected age group 12-19 or there about.

My question is, for this particular segment, how would you deal with very country-specific references, e.g.

Any suggestions on how this can be done? I suppose one could pick equivalents in another country, e.g. USA or UK, but then obviously this should be done in a consistent manner throughout the novel leaving out all Danish references.

Comments and ideas would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Olav Balslev
Collapse

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 07:35
German to English
+ ...
What does the client want? Aug 12, 2009

Before you start re-writing the story to adapt it to a foreign audience, perhaps you should ask the client what he/she wants.

As we all know, many TV shows and movies are so country specific that they become virtually untranslatable cultural references. On the other hand, a bit of rød grød med fløde for dessert now and then and names like Elias Eliassen might give the story an exotic touch.

It really depends on the context and what the author/publisher wants.
... See more
Before you start re-writing the story to adapt it to a foreign audience, perhaps you should ask the client what he/she wants.

As we all know, many TV shows and movies are so country specific that they become virtually untranslatable cultural references. On the other hand, a bit of rød grød med fløde for dessert now and then and names like Elias Eliassen might give the story an exotic touch.

It really depends on the context and what the author/publisher wants.

Let the client decide.

All the best from the land of the kaffemik,

Paul
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Major creative / management decision Aug 12, 2009

Olav Balslev wrote:

I suppose one could pick equivalents in another country, e.g. USA or UK, but then obviously this should be done in a consistent manner throughout the novel leaving out all Danish references.

How sure is management that the book won't be translated into other languages, thus raising the same problems and posing an even bigger problem of consistency?

The choice of a strategy (e.g., substitution vs. elucidation or another method of resolving the problem) would seem to call for a degree of creativity on your part. You'd best discuss how much leeway the author/publishers are willing to grant you (and other possible future translators).

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
informed decision making Aug 12, 2009

Olav Balslev wrote:

I suppose one could pick equivalents in another country, e.g. USA or UK, but then obviously this should be done in a consistent manner throughout the novel leaving out all Danish references.

That would be "domesticating" the translation and there's a theory that argues for "foreign¡zing" translation (see Lawrence Venuti). To adapt things culturally would really be a major transposition and would really leave the novel unrecognizable. And the author mightn't like it either.

It's not a trivial matter, and you probably should read a bit of translation theory before you make a decision, becuase then you would be able to make an informed decision. I do think it's your decision, largely, as the translator, although you could explain to and discuss with the client what you think should be done.

You also should probably consider the nature of the novel and your readership.

Footnotes could be used too, but only very sparingly and only for really necessary explanations, like puns or plays on words that are relevant to the main character and other central aspects of the novel.

Tonia Wind
Tonia Wind
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Authenticity of Original Text Aug 12, 2009

Hi, Olav!

I think that everyone has made some really great points regarding adapting source text versus retaining authenticity of the source text.

Personally, I am all for maintaining authenticity of the original text. I agree that you should talk this over with you client, but from a professional standpoint, I think that it is important for us as literary translator to try to do justice to the source text.

In the novels and short stories I have worked on,
... See more
Hi, Olav!

I think that everyone has made some really great points regarding adapting source text versus retaining authenticity of the source text.

Personally, I am all for maintaining authenticity of the original text. I agree that you should talk this over with you client, but from a professional standpoint, I think that it is important for us as literary translator to try to do justice to the source text.

In the novels and short stories I have worked on, I have always retained the authenticity of the source file and have used footnotes whenever needed. Although you certainly don't want to get too "footnote happy", I think that it is a good way to handle any country/culture specific term while retaining the original "flavor" of the work.

I agree with Parrot that if you try to make your book more UK focused (for example) with use of UK TV, food, music, etc. equivalents, you (or your end client) might run into some bigger consistency issues if the work has to be translated into French, German, Chinese or any other language. Will each translator have to come up with his/her own country-specific references to be used in place of the (now) UK focused translation? Will this ultimately convey the original "flavor" of the Danish work? That could turn out to be a problem...

I remember studying Spanish and Portuguese texts at University and half of the fun (for me, at least) was researching the particular country-specific term, music, food, etc. that the author used in the text. It helped me to gain a better knowledge of that particular language, country, region, etc.

For me, that is what is so special about translating. You are not just translating words to make it more convenient for someone to read an English translation of a Danish novel with a reference to "EastEnders", as opposed to whatever the Danish equivalent for this type of show might be. Your job is to convey the meaning of the words as they relate to the context and the culture.

Just my opinion!
Whatever you decide, happy translating and I hope you enjoy the project!

All the best,

Tonia
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Discuss with the publisher and the author Aug 13, 2009

This should be the result of a joint discussion with the author of the book and its publisher in your target language. The text belongs to the author, so he or she would have the final say on how it would be presented to audiences anywhere. On the other hand, the translation project is the publisher's investment, so he or she would have the final say on how it would be presented to the consumer. So, I am sorry to inform you that you don't have much of a say here... See more
This should be the result of a joint discussion with the author of the book and its publisher in your target language. The text belongs to the author, so he or she would have the final say on how it would be presented to audiences anywhere. On the other hand, the translation project is the publisher's investment, so he or she would have the final say on how it would be presented to the consumer. So, I am sorry to inform you that you don't have much of a say here But, of course, it is you and possibly also the publisher who know the target culture. As a result, the arguments and considerations of all three parties should count and the decision would be based on the compromise, or, ideally, agreement among all.

The point Parrot raised also bears a huge weight: since Danish is a small language, translations into other languages are likely to be based on the English translation. And maybe even that this is something already planned by the author.

This said, a complete adaptation might be considered -in fact advisable- for a very young readership. But your readership (12-19 year old) is not that young, and they would better be introduced to a whole new world, culture as they read the book. For titles, shows, place names and the like that would require explanation, you can use a combination of these techniques: 1) adding footnotes (as far as I am concerned, this is the least advisable one for it leads to discontinuation and distraction during reading); 2) using some literary licence where possible and adding hints in the target text for the benefit of the readers (for instance, where the original text reads "Harry Potter would say so" (an obscure English fiction character whose name alone wouldn't tell anything to anyone elsewhere), your translation could be "the fictional teenage wizard Harry Potter would say so"; and 3) if these two methods alone won't save you (maybe you would have to add too many footnotes and/or make too many interventions that would go beyond the 'license'), you may consider adding a glossary at the end of your translation. A glossary like this might also serve as a page of cultural reference for the reader.

Good luck and don't forget to share the final decision with us
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What level? Aug 13, 2009

First you should decide on the level of the original novel. Is it a major seller in Denmark and will it be a classic or is it only a rip-off with no serious intention? What does it deliver to the reader?
When works of fiction are re-translated later you notice in most cases that the first translator did not take the work seriously enough, did not research enough and did not bother to ask the author.
Do you think the translation would flop if there are too many Danish specialities in
... See more
First you should decide on the level of the original novel. Is it a major seller in Denmark and will it be a classic or is it only a rip-off with no serious intention? What does it deliver to the reader?
When works of fiction are re-translated later you notice in most cases that the first translator did not take the work seriously enough, did not research enough and did not bother to ask the author.
Do you think the translation would flop if there are too many Danish specialities in the text? That the message would be lost because of strange references?
Adaptation only works, if you really can make believe the target audience, that it is an English novel. If they realise that the story happens in Denmark, adaptation would be falsification. The reader would think that Denmark has nothing of its own.
People like to read about foreign places because they are foreign. We can and should only translate what is really common to both audiences. Even if men has used horses everywhere for thousands of years a Russian troika is a troika also in other languages because it is a specific Russian way of using horses.

Ask the publisher!

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Heloísa Ferdinandt
Heloísa Ferdinandt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dealing with foreign references Aug 13, 2009

Dear Olav Balslev and colleagues,

Our profession is a very lonesome one. It is good to read what other professionals do and how they deal with some obstacles.

I agree with most of the colleagues here. Olav Balslev should ask the writer or the publisher, agent, how to behave in the case presented.

I also have strong opinions concerning ethics and problems created by translators' interference in messages. We all should remember that, depend on the language
... See more
Dear Olav Balslev and colleagues,

Our profession is a very lonesome one. It is good to read what other professionals do and how they deal with some obstacles.

I agree with most of the colleagues here. Olav Balslev should ask the writer or the publisher, agent, how to behave in the case presented.

I also have strong opinions concerning ethics and problems created by translators' interference in messages. We all should remember that, depend on the language you are translating into, your text could become the "original" used for many other translators and readers in the future. Any mistake in your translation today could mislead people of other languages for decades.

As a translator, I see myself as a type of transmitter, a bridge, a vehicle or human-medium used to send a message, an idea, a perception or impression of the world, etc. from one people's language to another. I am not a filter, nor a censor, thus I should refrain myself from explaining too much. With this I try to avoid run the risk of inserting too much of my personal reading, my understanding, and my own vision in something other person wrote and wanted to pass along. Of course, that has its limits, I know my reading is always in the text I translated. But, if I want to say something my way, I should write my own text or novel.

I often try to avoid underestimate the readers, independent of their age. Nowadays most of them can look at the Internet anytime to have more information about something they did not "get" completely in a book from another country.

I adapt or change something in a text I am translating only if it is extremely necessary. In my practice, I would ask the client what is her/his preference. If s/he leaves it up to me, I would keep the names or reference exactly how they are by adding few words explaining the main characteristics that brought them to that context only the first time they appear. Many times, we can keep what was said just adding a phrase, two or three words, with a characteristic that summarize that. For example, if it is a place or a program directed to some kind of people (like, radical sports fans) and that was the reason it was mentioned there, I would keep the name and explain in few words that main characteristic, such as, "a xx's TV program for the radical-sport-lover" (xx=name of the country).

I hope it helps and also provoke more debate.

Kindly regards,
Heloisa Ferdinandt
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A few points Aug 13, 2009

Olav Balslev wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Any suggestions on how this can be done? I suppose one could pick equivalents in another country, e.g. USA or UK, but then obviously this should be done in a consistent manner throughout the novel leaving out all Danish references.

Comments and ideas would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Olav Balslev

Hi Olav,

This can sometimes be arranged in the Introduction or footnotes (e.g. a brief explanation about a particular TV show including the key points relevant to the storyline).

Other than that, I don't think much can be done without actually massacring the original.

JoFP
JoFP
French to English
+ ...
You do have a say Aug 14, 2009

The translation of a book usually belongs to the translator, so, unlike another poster, I would say you do have a say in how you resolve these dilemmas.

My advice would be not to Anglicize (too patronizing) and not to include footnotes or an introduction (simply absurd in a book for younger readers). Most readers, even twelve-year-olds, are aware that at some time or another, in one part of the planet or another, there are or have been neighborhoods, TV shows, and movies they've nev
... See more
The translation of a book usually belongs to the translator, so, unlike another poster, I would say you do have a say in how you resolve these dilemmas.

My advice would be not to Anglicize (too patronizing) and not to include footnotes or an introduction (simply absurd in a book for younger readers). Most readers, even twelve-year-olds, are aware that at some time or another, in one part of the planet or another, there are or have been neighborhoods, TV shows, and movies they've never heard of. So they aren't going to be thrown by the mention of a Danish neighborhood.

What astonishes me is that you have actually found an English-language publisher for such a country-specific work.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Depends / Yes and No Aug 14, 2009

JoFP wrote:

So they aren't going to be thrown by the mention of a Danish neighborhood.

Yes, they are, if it affects the understanding of the story in a broader context.

It all depend how these references are actually relevant to the context of the entire piece.

Example: Serbian kids will probably view "Oliver Twist" a great book, but English kids will certainly get a better view and understanding of it when it comes to food, behaviors, neighborhoods, cultural settings, interpersonal relations etc, mentioned in the book.

It's easy with fantasy books such as Harry Potter because they had been designed to reach the global audience in the first place: no actual cultural setting- even though there is a plenty of British folklore interwoven in the storyline.

[Edited at 2009-08-14 14:19 GMT]

Andrea Shah
Andrea Shah  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
An article that will help Aug 24, 2009

Below is a scholarly article about Harry Potter and the various translations thereof. I am providing you with the source and the bibliography (which is also chock-full of useful references regarding these issues, including in children's books). I do have a scanned copy of the article in question, which I would be happy to provide if you send me a... See more
Below is a scholarly article about Harry Potter and the various translations thereof. I am providing you with the source and the bibliography (which is also chock-full of useful references regarding these issues, including in children's books). I do have a scanned copy of the article in question, which I would be happy to provide if you send me a private message.

https://www.stjerome.co.uk/periodicals/journal.php?j=72&v=135&i=136&a=419&show=ref

This link may also be of some use to you.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iO5pApw2JycC&lpg=PA285&ots=ACIJZ2dJUy&dq=translating%20harry%20potter&lr=&pg=PA285#v=onepage&q=translating%20harry%20potter&f=false

I don't think either of these texts will give you a specific answer, but they will show you the choices that some other translators have made when confronted with culturally-specific references. I also recommend checking out a copy of a novel you are familiar with in both your source and your target languages to see how culturally-specific references are dealt with - I once did a case study of Stephen King's Carrie in both English and Spanish, and the results were very interesting.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice from literary translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »