Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translating fiction : literature, comics.
Thread poster: OffMag
krizck
krizck
Mexico
Local time: 11:36
English to Spanish
Creativity goes beyond Mar 6, 2009

You are right. Translators who do not limit themselves to translating something deserve a different rate. If you have to use your imagination in order to communicate something, you are basically doing something that not all translators usually do! (depending on the text they translate) Just think about it! Without all those people who had to adapt characters and names, many would not be famous nor successful.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Manga Mar 20, 2009

NathalieSchon wrote:

A Japanese friend of mine translates mangas into French.
He says he always works with a French partner and that you have to cut loose of the original text.

I was a bit afraid when I read the first part of the sentence because I have seen quite a few horrible JP>FR translations by Japanese translators who don't bother to take a French partner.
I do JP>FR manga translation myself, on my own, and I find it very challenging and fulfilling. I don't feel like I need to cut loose of the original text that much, even though some onomatopeas are a bit hard to translate, but I already opened a thread about this.

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:36
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The site has moved Nov 3, 2009

Update: new address of the link mentioned above:

http://www.leblogdelamirabelle.net/my-translators-blog/translation-of-popular-fiction/

Laura Arias
Laura Arias
Spain
Local time: 19:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Asterix Nov 3, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

My all-time favorite: Asterix

I absolutely agree with you...
I think that the translators in any country had to take the best from their brains to make it an entertaining and amusing product as well.

Don't you agree with the poor interpreter along the story? =D

I worked two years as a manga/Japanese comic translator, it was such a satisfaying experience.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Asterix Articles Nov 3, 2009

or How Asterix crossed the channel and was published in English.

http://www.asterix.co.nz/review/englishpublishing/index.html

[Edited at 2009-11-03 14:52 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating fiction : literature, comics.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »