Modern Russian literature in translation (and to be translated)
Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2008

Today's Washington Post's insert, "Russia Beyond the Headlines," has an interesting article on Natasha Perova, of the GLAS publishing company which promotes translation of modern Russian works into other languages. Its title is "Who are Russia's New Tolstoy and Dostoevsky?" For some reason I can't find this on the rbth website, but I'm in a rush.

On the one hand, this is of general interest. On the other hand, good literary translators may be needed... (the article doesn't say so).
... See more
Today's Washington Post's insert, "Russia Beyond the Headlines," has an interesting article on Natasha Perova, of the GLAS publishing company which promotes translation of modern Russian works into other languages. Its title is "Who are Russia's New Tolstoy and Dostoevsky?" For some reason I can't find this on the rbth website, but I'm in a rush.

On the one hand, this is of general interest. On the other hand, good literary translators may be needed... (the article doesn't say so).

Susan

[Edited at 2008-10-30 10:33]
Collapse

Jan Kolesar
Jan Kolesar  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 19:18
English to Slovak
+ ...
But it´s there, is not it ? Oct 29, 2008

http://rbth.ru/

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the right website Oct 29, 2008

but I can't find it there. I'll look more carefully when time allows, and post it if I find it.

Susan

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Maybe this could be of interest Oct 29, 2008

http://academia-rossica.org/en/literature/translation-grants

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here's the url for the article on Natasha Perova and GLAS Oct 31, 2008

http://www.rbth.ru/articles/2008/10/30/301008_literature.html

It took them awhile to post it, it seems.

Susan

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
about langs Jan 6, 2009

>>Many of our famous writers — Vasily Aksyonov, for example — have complained that the foreign reader often doesn’t
understand them.
ha-ha, this human desires very much:))) lives into abroad, writes about Russia. i don't think, example with him is well. imho, he can't write something new. moreover, translating from Ru to En serious literature, especially poems, is died idea: Russian is very hard & flexible lang based on great history & culture. i don't say: 'en is bad', but th
... See more
>>Many of our famous writers — Vasily Aksyonov, for example — have complained that the foreign reader often doesn’t
understand them.
ha-ha, this human desires very much:))) lives into abroad, writes about Russia. i don't think, example with him is well. imho, he can't write something new. moreover, translating from Ru to En serious literature, especially poems, is died idea: Russian is very hard & flexible lang based on great history & culture. i don't say: 'en is bad', but this lang has more simple structure, and isn't adjusted for deep & gorgeous emotions. even translating to langs with same & more power(Latin, Greek) is very hard task due to different culture.

[Edited at 2009-01-07 02:14 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ahem... Jan 10, 2009

I beg to differ with you that English is not capable of expressing "deep and gorgeous emotions"! Your written English is about as bad as my written Russian, so please don't make such a harsh judgment without deeper knowledge. One could argue whether Shakespeare is better or Schiller or Pushkin, but all of them are colossal geniuses.

Yes, I agree it is very hard to translate literature well, especially poetry. We have the famous dictum from Robert Frost, that "poetry is that which i
... See more
I beg to differ with you that English is not capable of expressing "deep and gorgeous emotions"! Your written English is about as bad as my written Russian, so please don't make such a harsh judgment without deeper knowledge. One could argue whether Shakespeare is better or Schiller or Pushkin, but all of them are colossal geniuses.

Yes, I agree it is very hard to translate literature well, especially poetry. We have the famous dictum from Robert Frost, that "poetry is that which is lost in translation." I agree with that, and most translations of poetry make me choke. But that doesn't mean the translation of literature (especially prose) should not be lovingly attempted!

(Unfortunately, I read one novel from the GLAS series, and found it awful and could not finish it. It was Maria Galina's "Iramifications." But one hopes that there are better ones from that publishing house.)

Susan
Collapse

Alexandra Taggart
Alexandra Taggart  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:18
Russian to English
+ ...
May help Jan 10, 2009

Type in cyrillic:" наталья перова журналмзм литература", hopefully it would bring you to this information:
Профессор литературы Русского гуманитарного университета Шайтанов говорит, ... о том, как его открыла редактор журнала "Октябрь" Наталья Перова, ...who is working on foreign literature.
It could be not a bad idea to contact Mr Shaytanov himself. Good luck!

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
Dear, Susan Jan 10, 2009

i agree with you: my English is far from ideal:))) but let me introduce example: take expression 'i can do so', & translate it to Russian: 'ya mogu delat' tak', 'tak ya mogu delat'', 'mogu ya delat' tak' etc. quantity of combinations == 24. any great writer, with lang same Russian, has own literature style is expressed in order of words, using of synonyms and other language' s nuances. in addition, we can watch color photo on the black & white monitor but, if we want to take pleasure by carnival... See more
i agree with you: my English is far from ideal:))) but let me introduce example: take expression 'i can do so', & translate it to Russian: 'ya mogu delat' tak', 'tak ya mogu delat'', 'mogu ya delat' tak' etc. quantity of combinations == 24. any great writer, with lang same Russian, has own literature style is expressed in order of words, using of synonyms and other language' s nuances. in addition, we can watch color photo on the black & white monitor but, if we want to take pleasure by carnival colors, we must use colour monitor. talking about Shakespeare isn't correct: en roots grew from Latin, or has common parent with him. ad notam, Latin, in order cases, has more flexible structures than modern Russian. now, en goes by next way: takes simple structure more and more.Collapse

Alexandra Taggart
Alexandra Taggart  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Translation from Russian into English Jan 11, 2009

could be compared to the diving experencies: you will see less fish in the deep, you will start to experience "right" hallucinations first; the vague visions later; and a peculiar insight will dawn upon you one day.

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
To Alexondra Jan 11, 2009

picturesque thinking! but even if translator makes genius work, it's another book without writer's soul and colors his culture. i'm sure, classical literature must be read in original form(lang). of course not all people can do it & translating, sometimes, is more beautiful and interesting than even original. but, in any way, it's book with soul & culture of interpreter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Modern Russian literature in translation (and to be translated)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »