Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
Local time: 02:27
голландский => румынский
+ ...
Mar 15, 2010

But it exists on proZ.com!!!

When I was a little girl (I mean very little) I was thinking that every country has its own language and that its name derives from the country's name (let's say Australia - Australian). I know that many people think the same, but it shouldn't happen to those who work daily with languages.

I am from Moldova, my native language is Romanian; the official language of Moldova is ROMANIAN. The so called ‘Moldavian Language’ is actually a DIA
... See more
But it exists on proZ.com!!!

When I was a little girl (I mean very little) I was thinking that every country has its own language and that its name derives from the country's name (let's say Australia - Australian). I know that many people think the same, but it shouldn't happen to those who work daily with languages.

I am from Moldova, my native language is Romanian; the official language of Moldova is ROMANIAN. The so called ‘Moldavian Language’ is actually a DIALECT of Romanian language and people from Romania understand perfectly the 'language' of Moldovans and vice-versa. I know that in Germany (just one example) there are so many linguistic divergences between dialects that Germans from North are not able to understand what a South German says. And everybody knows that there is a Bavarian dialect, but not a Bavarian language (Bavarian language only if ‘language’ has the meaning of the French word ‘langage’). This is not happening to Romanians and Moldavians!!!

Moldovan (also Moldavian; Romanian: limba moldovenească), written in the Latin script, is one of the names of the official language of the Republic of Moldova.[1][2] The language spoken in Moldova is identical to Romanian, sharing the same literary standard,[3] but for political reasons both names Moldovan and Romanian are used inside the country.
Written in the Moldovan Cyrillic alphabet[4], Moldovan (лимба молдовеняскэ) is also the name of one of the three official languages of the breakaway territory of Transnistria.[5]
The Constitution of Moldova (Title I, Article 13) states that the Moldovan language is the official language of the country. In the Declaration of Independence of Moldova, the state language is called Romanian.[6] The 1989 Language Law that proclaimed it the state language of Moldova, speaks in the preamble of a "Moldovan-Romanian linguistic identity". After political debate over the issue has inflamed again in the early 2000s, a group of Romanian linguists adopted a resolution stating that promotion of the notion of Moldovan language is an anti-scientific campaign.[7]
The "Moldavian speech" (graiul moldovenesc, in older sources limba moldovenească) is the north-eastern variety of spoken Romanian, spread approximately within the territory of the former Principality of Moldavia (now split between Moldova and Romania). The Moldavian variety is considered one of the five major spoken varieties of Romanian, all five being written identically. There is no particular linguistic break at the Prut River, the border between Romania and Moldova.
The standard alphabet is Latin (currently official in the Republic of Moldova). Before 1989, also two versions of Cyrillic had been used: the Moldovan Cyrillic alphabet in 1940-89, and the historical Romanian Cyrillic alphabet until 1857. As of 2008, the former remains in use only in Transnistria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldovan_language

I was very surprised to find Moldavian as a distinct language on proZ.com. I didn't select it as a working language and I will never do it, because it would mean to forget everything I was taught during my studies (Faculty of Philology – ROMANIAN – Greek Language – Republic of Moldova).

In the Constitution of Moldova it is written (by a fatal mistake) that the official language of Moldova is Moldavian. Linguists did never agree. Moldova never became a free country. Children know that their country is free as from 1991, but mature people understand that it is a big lie. Moldova’s actual Government is trying to change the name of the official language from Moldavian into Romanian, but there are still many communists who will never vote for that (I never understood the Romanian-phobia of some Russian people). Lots of linguistic works and researches were completed on this topic. It is a national problem. Please don’t make it international!!!

I kindly ask (and I could do it in the name of all linguists from Moldova) the proZ.com staff to remove Moldavian from the language list on proZ. I don’t know what others think about it. For me personally, as a citizen of Republic of Moldova, as a linguist and a translator, it is an insult. Please do not misunderstand it.

[Edited at 2010-03-15 20:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-15 20:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-15 20:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-15 20:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-15 20:31 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-03-15 23:40 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:27
ОСНОВАТЕЛЬ САЙТА
ProZ.com follows the ISO - so Moldavian will now be removed Mar 15, 2010

Thanks for posting. Setting aside the background information that you have kindly provided, the fact is that ProZ.com simply follows the ISO. Moldavian is listed because the ISO recognized it until recently. Thank you for calling the matter to our attention, we see now that it is no longer recognized by the ISO. Therefore, it will be removed from ProZ.com's list of languages as well.

Give the matter a little time, please, various things around the site may have to be migrated.

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
Local time: 02:27
голландский => румынский
+ ...
Автор темы
Thank you very much! Mar 16, 2010

Thank you for considering it. also for changing the subject of my post (i was somehow angry when posting)

It is our job, of all of us, here on proZ, to contribute as much as we can to the site's image. I think this is an important step to be done, not only for Moldavian translators from proZ, but also for the website itself.

Thank you for cooperation!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I kindly ask to remove Moldavian from the language list on ProZ.com

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »