Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israele
Local time: 07:19
Membro (2007)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Nov 9, 2008

I finally got around to setting up TO3000 yesterday and am quite happy with it thus far. For some reason though, after I customised the invoices today (nothing fancy, just changed font colour and added a logo), every time I "save and open" before sending them off, I get a box saying that the pdf file can not be opened. Since this is the type of thing that makes me break out in a cold sweat I would appreciate any ideas from anyone who may have dealt with this.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russia
Local time: 14:19
Da Inglese a Russo
I also noticed that Nov 9, 2008

I noticed that long time ago after I upgraded to TO 3000 Version 9 and Acrobat 8.0. The only workaround I found is to open it first in RTF/DOC and then use the pdf maker in the MS Word menu. I did not report this to the TO 3000 support staff, though, considering it a minor inconvenience. But if you have, I would appreciate information about the proper solution.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Perú
Local time: 06:19
Membro
Spagnolo
+ ...
I don't have that problem Nov 9, 2008

I also have TO3000 v.9 and I don't have that problem. I click on Save & Open and the pdf file is opened inmediately. I have the latest version of TO3K and Adobe Reader 9 in a Vista computer. Maybe updating Adobe Reader could fix this issue.

Juliana Brown
Israele
Membro (2007)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Hi Claudia, Nov 10, 2008

I wish it was that simple (mind you, it probably is something simple that I just can't see). I also have the latest Acrobat, so it's not that.

Alexey- I sent in a support ticket, so with a bit of luck we'll have an answer. In the meantime, if a prozer knows the secret...:)- I would REALLY like to be able to invoice!

[Edited at 2008-11-10 00:07]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 13:19
Membro
Da Inglese a Francese
Headers/footers? Nov 10, 2008

Oh, I didn't know that you could save invoices as pdfs directly in TO3000... Interesting.
I tried and although I get a pdf file, it doesn't contain the custom headers/footers from my Word template.

If you have headers/footers, maybe moving them to the main text body will make a difference...

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Francia
Da Francese a Hindi
+ ...
Patch Nov 10, 2008

I had the same problem and I was told to download a patch.

It is working fine now.

Juliana Brown
Israele
Membro (2007)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Hi Ritu Nov 10, 2008

I hope it's that easy. The support people wrote me this morning and I'm waiting for their solution at some point today. I would really like to use the invoicing!

Alexey Ivanov
Russia
Da Inglese a Russo
No, I don't think it is either of them Nov 10, 2008

Philippe Etienne wrote:
If you have headers/footers, maybe moving them to the main text body will make a difference...

No, Philippe, I don't think headers/footers are the cause of the problem: I also have both in my template, but can create a PDF from an invoice in Word.doc/RTF format showing both.

Alexey Ivanov
Russia
Da Inglese a Russo
Thank you Nov 10, 2008

Juliana Starkman wrote:

I wish it was that simple (mind you, it probably is something simple that I just can't see). I also have the latest Acrobat, so it's not that.

Alexey- I sent in a support ticket, so with a bit of luck we'll have an answer. In the meantime, if a prozer knows the secret...:)- I would REALLY like to be able to invoice!

[Edited at 2008-11-10 00:07]

Hi Juliana,

Thank you. Regarding invoicing: you can, as I told before, generate invoice first in RTF/DOC format and convert it to PDF.

Philippe Etienne
Spagna
Membro
Da Inglese a Francese
I was referring to the way TO3000 handles pdfs Nov 10, 2008

Alexey Ivanov wrote:
...I also have both in my template, but can create a PDF from an invoice in Word.doc/RTF format showing both.

When in Word, there is indeed no trouble converting headers/footers in pdf. I use PDF Create and my invoice headers are displayed. Pdf printers like PrimoPDF can convert Word files to pdfs for free.
I am interested in this thread as I could directly convert my invoices in pdfs without opening them in Word. It seems that my build 9005 doesn't display headers/footers when converting directly in TO3000, but I do make invoices in pdf format via Word.

As you said, an alternative if the pdf conversion fails in TO3000 is to save the invoice in Word and then convert the file to pdf in Word, via whatever virtual pdf printer.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Perú
Local time: 06:19
Membro
Spagnolo
+ ...
Version 9006 is out Nov 10, 2008

There's a new version out there:

--------------
Version 9.0

Build 9006 (Current Build):

- Minor enhancements and fixes.

---------------

About the automatic creation of pdf files, this is very weird because even build 9005 can produce pdf files including headers and footers, but in my computer, all the pdf invoices are created in a Legal-size paper (including the landscape templates!). So, I get a pdf and a Word file that look
... See more

--------------
Version 9.0

---------------

About the automatic creation of pdf files, this is very weird because even build 9005 can produce pdf files including headers and footers, but in my computer, all the pdf invoices are created in a Legal-size paper (including the landscape templates!). So, I get a pdf and a Word file that look exactly the same, except for the size of the paper--both files were created from the same template.

Phillippe, maybe you're having the same issue and that's why the headers and footers are not shown. Why don't you create a template just for your pdf invoices and tweak with the size of the paper and layout of the invoice? Maybe that'll do it.

But there should be a way to modify the default settings of the created pdf.

Claudia
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Russia
Da Inglese a Russo
The new version did not help Nov 11, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

--------------
Version 9.0

---------------

Claudia

I have downloaded that, but it did not help.

Regards,

Alex

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Francia
Da Francese a Hindi
+ ...
Direct PDF Nov 11, 2008

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I am interested in this thread as I could directly convert my invoices in pdfs without opening them in Word. It seems that my build 9005 doesn't display headers/footers when converting directly in TO3000, but I do make invoices in pdf format via Word.

As you said, an alternative if the pdf conversion fails in TO3000 is to save the invoice in Word and then convert the file to pdf in Word, via whatever virtual pdf printer.

All my invoices in TO3000 open directly as a PDF. I've been doing this for a long time now (ever since I bought TO 3000).

I had some problems for a couple of days this year. But then I was given a link to download this patch:
http://download.to3000.com/SetupTO3000V8.exe

Here's the reply to my support request:

Please, try to disable all smart tags in MS Word.

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the Smart Tags tab. Click Remove Smart Tags, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.
Note. Word removes the smart tags from your document. However, Word continues to mark new smart tags for any recognizers that are still active (those selected in the Recognizers list on the Smart Tags tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box).

Also if you have TO3000 Version build earlier that 824, I would suggest you to download latest build 825 where the problem with smart tags is fixed. Use the following link for download: http://download.to3000.com/SetupTO3000V8.exe.

After that it was really easy. Everything was working fine again.

But I never understood the origin of this problem. Ok, I had refused to download the updates because everything was working as it should and I was scared that downloading another version would cause some problems etc. But then why did everything stop working all of a sudden?

Philippe Etienne
Spagna
Membro
Da Inglese a Francese
somewhat inconsistent behaviours Nov 11, 2008

The outcome of this saving-to-pdf feature seems to differ from one system setup to the next! There might indeed be settings that need tweaking, either in Adobe Reader, TO3000 or even Windows.
Claudia Alvis wrote:
...Phillippe, maybe you're having the same issue and that's why the headers and footers are not shown. Why don't you create a template just for your pdf invoices and tweak with the size of the paper and layout of the invoice? Maybe that'll do it....

Thank you Claudia, I thought about moving my headers/footers to the main text body to see the result. However, besides the time and effort (albeit slight) to do this, I am reluctant to create yet another template after the EN one, the European FR one, the local FR one, the odd customer-required one... There are already too many to choose from.
I am not unhappy with saving and opening in Word and convert to PDF in Word, but any shortcut I didn't know of (namely this Save and open as pdf feature) is always welcome and I am grateful that Juliana brought it up.
Regards,
Philippe

Juliana Brown
Israele
Membro (2007)
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
If you can't see... Nov 11, 2008

I am now blushing madly. It seems that there was not big secret involved in the "invoice matter". Apparently, while I was setting up the template I accidentally erased a backslash somewhere in the area of payment methods (well...we all want to get paid, do we not?) and set off the self-implosion.
It is now fixed and invoices are flying out like confetti.
Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Pagine:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TO3000 not opening pdf invoices

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »