Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 19:35
Membro (2010)
Da Inglese a Francese
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 17, 2013

hello

I thought I was able to translate XML using SDL Studio and/or MemoQ via the file type function.

However I received an XML file to translate which was not covered by this mehod, tthe strings to translated looked like this:

next_txt

NEXT
PAGE
TO BE TRANSLATED

It was not supported by MemoQ file type or a way I don't know;

is it a standard way for XML localiza
... See more
hello

I thought I was able to translate XML using SDL Studio and/or MemoQ via the file type function.

However I received an XML file to translate which was not covered by this mehod, tthe strings to translated looked like this:

next_txt

NEXT
PAGE
TO BE TRANSLATED

It was not supported by MemoQ file type or a way I don't know;

is it a standard way for XML localization?

do you have some ideas?

Of course I don't want to translate that by hand with a plain editor because too many mistakes may occur and I can't use a TM. - of course the file is very long -.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,

Madeleine
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:
RWS Community
RWS Community
Regno Unito
Inglese
Just needs a custom filetype... Oct 17, 2013

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

However I received an XML file to translate which was not covered by this method, the strings to translate look like this:

<String uid="string">
<Id>next_txt</Id>
<Comment></Comment>
<Text xml:lang="en-US">NEXT PAGE</Text>
<Text xml:lang="fr-FR">TO BE TRANSLATED</Text>
</String>

... where you have specify the rules so the XML parser knows what to do. There is an article on how to do this using XPATH in Studio here : http://wp.me/s2xDjK-xpath

It looks as though you only want to extract certain text based on the4 language attribute. I don't have your file but on the face of it you may get away with one rule to extract all the fr-FR for example like this:

//*[@xml:lang="fr-FR"]

Regards

Paul

Madeleine Chevassus
Francia
Membro (2010)
Da Inglese a Francese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Oct 17, 2013

First I apologize because my first example I typed "in extenso" was turned by the Proz parser into some ununderstandable string.

However, Paul guessed everything and answered the question; he pointed to the right article; thanks a lot, Paul.

I think I should use:

//*[@xml:lang="en-US"]

in order to get the en-US source string(s) and to enter the translation into the fr-FR line(s).

Sorry the file is conf
... See more
First I apologize because my first example I typed "in extenso" was turned by the Proz parser into some ununderstandable string.

However, Paul guessed everything and answered the question; he pointed to the right article; thanks a lot, Paul.

I think I should use:

in order to get the en-US source string(s) and to enter the translation into the fr-FR line(s).

Sorry the file is confidential.

I think I can solve this issue now!

Have a nice evening!

Madeleine
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
Regno Unito
Inglese
Not yet.... Oct 17, 2013

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:

I think I should use:

Hi Madeleine,

The XML filetype that a user can customise is monolingual and not bilingual. So you can parse the fr-FR which will place this text into the source side of the editor, and then when you translate it the target XML will place this into the fr-FR part of the XML.

But you cannot take the en-US, place it into the source, and then take the fr-FR and place it into the target. This would require a customisable bilingual XML file (which I wish we had!).

It is fairly simple for a developer to create a custom file type like this using the SDK provided, and if I knew how to program I would definitely start doing these things as I do come across them from time to time... but I don't

So for now I think you need to be careful. Ideally your XML will not contain partially translated segments, and in reality when I have come across bilingual XML files like this they normally don't. So it's a simple matter of translating the fr-FR only and just use one rule.

If you use both rules you'll get all the text parsed for translation and unless you create a stylesheet to go with it so you have a sensible preview, it may be quite tricky to keep on top of what's what.

I imagine this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Regards

Paul

Madeleine Chevassus
Francia
Membro (2010)
Da Inglese a Francese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
SITE LOCALIZER
@Paul Oct 17, 2013

Hi,

I'll definitely ask the authorization of my client to send you the file (4 pages), because it is the way you say, that is:

string uid...
ID
comment
input english string :
target string to be translated
:
end string

etc etc for other language strings.

I need to get in the CAT tool the English text to be able to enter the French text on the right or under.

May I have an email address where I
... See more
Hi,

I'll definitely ask the authorization of my client to send you the file (4 pages), because it is the way you say, that is:

string uid...
ID
comment
input english string :
target string to be translated
:
end string

etc etc for other language strings.

I need to get in the CAT tool the English text to be able to enter the French text on the right or under.

May I have an email address where I might send you the file if I get the authorization?

Thanks again,

Madeleine
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
Regno Unito
Inglese
I dropped you an email... Oct 17, 2013

... Madeleine. Hopefully we can sort this out.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML Translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »