话题中的页数:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually check client emails outside of your working hours?
论题张贴者: ProZ.com Staff
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
葡萄牙
Local time: 08:44
Very funny Feb 12, 2014

It amuses me to imagine a sign on my office door (inside my only dwelling) which states my "office hours". It could even state, "No unauthorised entry after working hours". I would ignore that, of course, and be lured in anyway.

I check e-mails when I am at my computer. I have a smartphone, but get annoyed that I have to put my specs on to look at the jolly thing. I have not found it as useful as I thought I would. I prefer looking at - and talking to - people when I am out of the o
... See more
It amuses me to imagine a sign on my office door (inside my only dwelling) which states my "office hours". It could even state, "No unauthorised entry after working hours". I would ignore that, of course, and be lured in anyway.

I check e-mails when I am at my computer. I have a smartphone, but get annoyed that I have to put my specs on to look at the jolly thing. I have not found it as useful as I thought I would. I prefer looking at - and talking to - people when I am out of the office, whether that occurs during office hours or not.

I hope that answers the question.
Collapse

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
瑞典
Local time: 09:44
正式会员 (自2008)
German德语译成Swedish瑞典语
+ ...
No never Feb 12, 2014

All my clients know that only check my e-mails Monday to Friday between 08:00 and 17:00, and they seem to be fine with that. If I choose not to work during that time I always check my mails, if I work outside that time I enjoy being able to work without interruptions.
I do believe we need to allow ourselves time to completely forget about work.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
正式会员 (自2011)
Russian俄语译成English英语
+ ...
Yes and no Feb 12, 2014

I check emails whenever I'm at my computer, which usually means I'm working. For me, 'working hours' means any time I find a moment to sit at the computer and translate. I don't possess a device on which I can check emails away from the computer, and I'm not in a hurry to go out and get one. If someone sent me an urgent job while I was in the supermarket or the school playground I wouldn't be in a position to do it anyway.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
英国
正式会员 (自2004)
English英语译成Italian意大利语
... Feb 12, 2014

inkweaver wrote:

wouldn't dream of it, actually.

I actually dream of it... as when I'm asleep!

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
法国
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
No is the only reasonable answer Feb 12, 2014

- "Working hours" is that time when you are working.
- "Outside working hours" is that time when you are not working.
- "Checking client e-mails" is a part of work.

It is logically impossible to check your e-mail outside of working hours because that would entail both working and not working at the same time.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
墨西哥
Local time: 01:44
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
I was to say exactly the same Feb 12, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

I have a relatively long day and am almost always at home.
When I work, I check them, if I am not at my computer, then I am not working.

[Edited at 2014-02-12 16:03 GMT]

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
美国
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Yeup! Feb 12, 2014

Allison Wright wrote:

I have one! It's hanging on the door to our office just off the living room of our home. My 12 year old sister got it for me, she thought it was so funny.

To answer the poll question, yes. One of us is almost always online (TV, Netflix, Facebook, etc.), so we catch most emails as the come in. I usually wake up once or twice during the night to check on my European clients as well.

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
美国
正式会员 (自2004)
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
my working hours are not clearly defined Feb 12, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

Define "Working hours"

I have a relatively long day and am almost always at home.
When I work, I check them, if I am not at my computer, then I am not working.

Exactly, same here.

Karin

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
葡萄牙
正式会员 (自2007)
English英语译成Portuguese葡萄牙语
+ ...
Other Feb 12, 2014

My working hours are extremely flexible and I am more than willing to work overtime (or not work at all!) as and when necessary. Like Michael Harris I am almost always at home. Checking my email is the first thing I do when I wake up (between 6 and 9 a.m.) and I do it every hour (at least) until I go to bed (between 10 and 12 p.m.). If I have to go out for more than 1 hour I always take my notebook with me to check my emails and all phone calls are redirected to my mobile (no fancy iPad or smart... See more
My working hours are extremely flexible and I am more than willing to work overtime (or not work at all!) as and when necessary. Like Michael Harris I am almost always at home. Checking my email is the first thing I do when I wake up (between 6 and 9 a.m.) and I do it every hour (at least) until I go to bed (between 10 and 12 p.m.). If I have to go out for more than 1 hour I always take my notebook with me to check my emails and all phone calls are redirected to my mobile (no fancy iPad or smartphone, yet…)Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
匈牙利
正式会员 (自2006)
Russian俄语译成Hungarian匈牙利语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
out of work? a dream... Feb 12, 2014

I think the last 6 months I spent by the desktop, working usually 16 or more hours a week. So if it is a major client a ringtone set up in the Outlook let me know the mail is important and I have to look in it.
But if I have to go out for more than 1 hour then I want definitely do something else so I do not check them at all. Anyway whom I need really they will call my mobile.
I love my work but sometimes I need few hours of privacy.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
匈牙利
正式会员 (自2006)
Russian俄语译成Hungarian匈牙利语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
:( Feb 12, 2014

Vera Schoen wrote:

If you have children, if you raising them alone or you live in Hungary - you simply cannot do that, except the case if your ex-husband's name is Rockefeller

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
墨西哥
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Freelancing = No fixed working hours Feb 13, 2014

I am a freelancer, and that means I have no established working hours. I work when I have work that I have freely accepted and at my own pace and at any time I feel like it, whether it is during the day or at 2 o'clock in the morning.
I do not normally "check" my mail" when I am not working. If I am not in front of my computer my smartphone discreetly vibrates to tell me that an email has come in, and I might, just might, take a look to see what it is.

Berenice Font
Berenice Font  Identity Verified
墨西哥
正式会员 (自2010)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Are there working hours? Feb 13, 2014

This is a continuous struggle as a freelancer...How do I set my working hours and days? Neither the clients nor the people around me seem to be educated to understand that freelancers are also entitled to working hours...

Any tips on how to set these?

Vera Schoen
瑞典
正式会员 (自2008)
German德语译成Swedish瑞典语
+ ...
We need to rest our brains Feb 13, 2014

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

Vera Schoen wrote:

If you have children, if you raising them alone or you live in Hungary - you simply cannot do that, except the case if your ex-husband's name is Rockefeller

Yes, Erzsébet, making ends meet can, and often is, a struggle for all kinds of freelancers. That said, freelancers are no different from other people in that they need time off from work and work related problems. Whether we take a short break or try to keep “office hours” is, of course, entirely depending on our life situation.

Vera Schoen
瑞典
正式会员 (自2008)
German德语译成Swedish瑞典语
+ ...
Be firm :-) Feb 13, 2014

Berenice Font wrote:

This is a continuous struggle as a freelancer...How do I set my working hours and days? Neither the clients nor the people around me seem to be educated to understand that freelancers are also entitled to working hours...

Any tips on how to set these?

When I started out I was available 24/7. That made me grumpy, exhausted (even when work wasn’t coming in) and anxious because I never allowed myself to relax, and it wasn’t how I had pictured my life as a freelancer. So I decided to state my “working hours” very clearly and never, ever (even if I saw them) responded to e-mails outside that time. I believe I initially made some PMs very nervous, but they all go used to it. Now they often send e-mails after 5 p.m. and they know for a fact that they will receive an answer first thing in the morning.

For a freelancer there, of course, is no such thing as fixed working hours; when there is work, we work: early mornings, night, weekends… But how, when and where we work is entirely up to us (and the amount of incoming work).

Now I’m about to teach myself to stay away from the computer when I’m on holidays….

话题中的页数:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually check client emails outside of your working hours?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »