Thread poster: Aneta Kilham
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Russian to English
+ ...
No it is not, Alison, unless you are referring to Oct 7, 2012

horse racing -- the announcer usually speaks at 200-250/words per minute. The auction brokers do 400/minute. Regular speech is about 150 - 175, for English.

Marie Wagner (X)
Marie Wagner (X)  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 20:01
English to French
+ ...
Interpreters - how do you practise? Oct 8, 2012

I fully disagree with Phil. people who read their speeches are usually near impossible to interprete for a beginner. it involves a great deal ofpractice with compensation... The news is definitely easier because usually people know what is happening, so it is tantamount to having been briefed before a conference.

To be really efficient, practice has to be done on a regular basis. You can also ask conference organisers if they agree to you attending behind the booths with headphones
... See more
I fully disagree with Phil. people who read their speeches are usually near impossible to interprete for a beginner. it involves a great deal ofpractice with compensation... The news is definitely easier because usually people know what is happening, so it is tantamount to having been briefed before a conference.

To be really efficient, practice has to be done on a regular basis. You can also ask conference organisers if they agree to you attending behind the booths with headphones, so that you can practise in a "real situation" - I always agree to have a trainee or beginner in the booth because i also started one day. Then maybe with a little more practice, you can be left to practise over a few paragraphs of a speech given beforehand...

But definitely at home, the radio or television are good means. Do not overdo it. It is very tiring in the beginning, and do not exceed 5 minutes the first week, then the following week, you can extend the time... till you feel comfortable with 20 mns or better 30 mns.

Try to get in touch with professionals and you will also find some willing to help.

Good luck because it is a fantastic job - and Isay so even after 30 years!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters - how do you practice?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »