Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Has anyone heard of companies giving tests to potential translators before they employ them?
Thread poster: Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:36
French to English
This Jan 22, 2019

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

If a client ("outsourcer") wants me to do a test, do they have the knowledge to create a test, and then examine the results, in my pair, and on that subject?

This is a major problem for me. My clients are all French, and they hire me because their English is not good enough. However they rarely realise just how bad their English is, after all, they do manage to make themselves understood when speaking with clients. I recently found myself being mansplained to about the nuances of a particular term I had used and it took a lot of diplomacy and then brutal truth-telling to convince my client. I actually found myself saying something like "if you want your document in Globish I'm afraid you'll have to find another translator" (after he told me he had seen the term he preferred in a text translated from Italian).

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I warned the company, and did not hear back from them.

that's not nice at all, they should have thanked you profusely at the very least.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 22, 2019

It seems to be a fairly widespread practice amongst agencies. However, the way I look at it is that if I approach the company offering my services, I should be prepared to do a test for them. On the other hand, if a potential client approaches me to solicit my services, they must already know that I'm worth my salt, so tests in that situation are out of the question.

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
Yes, but make sure the test is short Jan 23, 2019

Yes, tests are common practice in this business. And a lot of the time they are unpaid.

However: Do not just accept any test that comes along. If it is more than 1 page long (example: the amount of source language text that would normally fit on one page in a 10-point or 12-point font), then it is suspect, because some unscrupulous agencies try to pass off actual translations they are getting paid for as unpaid tests.

So if they ask you to do a test that is 5 times that
... See more
Yes, tests are common practice in this business. And a lot of the time they are unpaid.

However: Do not just accept any test that comes along. If it is more than 1 page long (example: the amount of source language text that would normally fit on one page in a 10-point or 12-point font), then it is suspect, because some unscrupulous agencies try to pass off actual translations they are getting paid for as unpaid tests.

So if they ask you to do a test that is 5 times that length for free, this is probably a scam and I would refuse.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone heard of companies giving tests to potential translators before they employ them?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »