Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 14, 2003

I have a whole manuel in tif.
So I am working with adobe photoshop but it seems that there are much more words than the customer told me. PRacticount does not count tif. And it won't do anything either that I zip the pages to count the words since it is all images even when the page is full of words.
Did any of you encounter this type of problems?

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use an OCR Dec 15, 2003

You should use an OCR (like FineReader or OmniPage). It will read the words and then you can save the text in RTF or DOC format, allowing to count words.

BTW, how's that you are using Photoshop to translate? Are you erasing the text and then placing the translation? Isn't that a lot of extra work?

If you use the OCR, you can use a CAT tool with the text, too.

... See more
You should use an OCR (like FineReader or OmniPage). It will read the words and then you can save the text in RTF or DOC format, allowing to count words.

BTW, how's that you are using Photoshop to translate? Are you erasing the text and then placing the translation? Isn't that a lot of extra work?

Regards

Edwal

http://www.proz.com/home/4951

[Edited at 2003-12-15 02:54]
Collapse

Soizic CiFuentes
United States
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 15, 2003

Yes thanks. I realized that late. I used an OCR, "abby reader" and realized the text had 2000 words more than the client told me. I refused the original price, added the 2000 words to the final quote and did not hear from him. But yes each page was in tif. I do know that they are pictures, they were filled with graphs, charts and pics of equipements. I probably charged more than usually but I was not going to do that for my regular fee.
Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it. I am no
... See more
Yes thanks. I realized that late. I used an OCR, "abby reader" and realized the text had 2000 words more than the client told me. I refused the original price, added the 2000 words to the final quote and did not hear from him. But yes each page was in tif. I do know that they are pictures, they were filled with graphs, charts and pics of equipements. I probably charged more than usually but I was not going to do that for my regular fee.
Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it. I am not used to work with CAT tools, I am only starting to mess with them. Which ones do you recommend to start with?

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

Regards

Edwal

http://www.proz.com/home/4951

[Edited at 2003-12-15 02:54]
Collapse

Soizic CiFuentes
United States
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tool Dec 15, 2003

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

I do have Wordfast but pardon my ignorance I don't see how it could help me to put the text back in the same exact position on, around the picture ect. to give the client the original presentation he wanted.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast won't do everything Dec 15, 2003

I do have Wordfast but pardon my ignorance I don't see how it could help me to put the text back in the same exact position on, around the picture ect. to give the client the original presentation he wanted.

Easy answer: it won't. but is a lot better to get the text in Word, use Wordfast for a fast, clean translation, and then use cut and paste to place the text back in the TIF, than erase and write it in Photoshop. Besides, this way you can use the spellchecker and other word features.

I recommend wordfast for starters. Not only because it's free, but because you don't need to learn a new interface, just a few more commands and shortcuts in word.

Regards

Edwal

[Edited at 2003-12-15 15:33]

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Free? Dec 18, 2003

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

I recommend wordfast for starters. Not only because it's free, but because you don't need to learn a new interface, just a few more commands and shortcuts in word.

[Edited at 2003-12-15 15:33]

As far as I know you may download it for a free trial but you are supposed to pay after that. However, the amount depends on your place of living.
But anyway, you are quite right, Wordfast is really fast:))

Charlotte

Edwal Rospigliosi
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Free but limited Dec 18, 2003

Charlotte Blank wrote:
As far as I know you may download it for a free trial but you are supposed to pay after that. However, the amount depends on your place of living.
But anyway, you are quite right, Wordfast is really fast:))
Charlotte

The free version is limited in TM size (i'm not sure how much, I've used up to 50 pages without problems). If you want to have unlimited TM size, you buy it. Besides that, it's fully functional and doesn't have a time limit, so in practice, it's free.

Perhaps you're thinking about DejaVu or SDLX, both of them having time limits or disabled functions in their trial versions.

Regards

Edwal

[Edited at 2003-12-18 22:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

words count in tif.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »