Any great tips on Googling?
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 13:27
German to English
+ ...
Check the linguistic validity of sites that come up Jul 18, 2003

What I tend to do if looking for a term and can't find any way to an English equivalent by entering the source language term is to think of a few possibilities in English and try them. It's then important if you get hits to check that the sites which come up are based in an English-speaking country and that the quality of the language on the site is acceptable. For instance, looking for one of the Kudoz queries recently (Viszeralchirurgie) I found quite a few sites mentioning visceral surgery, b... See more
What I tend to do if looking for a term and can't find any way to an English equivalent by entering the source language term is to think of a few possibilities in English and try them. It's then important if you get hits to check that the sites which come up are based in an English-speaking country and that the quality of the language on the site is acceptable. For instance, looking for one of the Kudoz queries recently (Viszeralchirurgie) I found quite a few sites mentioning visceral surgery, but they were all German or Swiss and so concluded that the term was not a genuine English term.Collapse

Michelle Johnson
Michelle Johnson
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
French to English
cached Sep 22, 2003

To see your terms highlighted on the site you are looking at, click on "cached" rather than the URL heading. It saves time as you don't have to download pdf files or the full site - and you find the terms immediately, to be able to see them in context. I have also found it will take you to a page even when the website has expired (probably why it is called "cached"!), which can be useful.

HTH!

Michelle

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any great tips on Googling?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »