luciagutierrez
luciagutierrez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 30, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I have been asked by an agency to give them some rates for just the technical part of subtitling, which I think they refer to the timing. However, they are asking for different rates for left to right and right to left languages. What is the difference regarding the timing? Why are they asking for different rates?
Thank you, I am quite brand new in this subtitling world and I have never come across something like this.
Thanks!

Abid Riaz
Abid Riaz  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 23:25
Member (2016)
Pashto (Pushto) to English
+ ...
Timecodes Sep 30, 2015

By 'technical' the client perhaps means the time codes. I provided time codes to a client recently but halfway through the work, I realized my rate of 1 dollar per minute was too low. I am also new to subtitling so I asked for a too-low rate. I suggest 3 dollars per minute for left to right and 4 for right to left since the formatting of the latter might be harder. These are the rates I have in mind for next time. Please do tell what software you are going to use to develop the subtitles. I used... See more
By 'technical' the client perhaps means the time codes. I provided time codes to a client recently but halfway through the work, I realized my rate of 1 dollar per minute was too low. I am also new to subtitling so I asked for a too-low rate. I suggest 3 dollars per minute for left to right and 4 for right to left since the formatting of the latter might be harder. These are the rates I have in mind for next time. Please do tell what software you are going to use to develop the subtitles. I used Aegisub.Collapse

Jane Nizi
Jane Nizi
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Other forum posts Sep 30, 2015

Hello there,
There are already a few posts which deal with this topic. For example: http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling.html
When looking at rates, it's important to know exactly what they are referring to, i.e. just translating subtitles or time-cueing.
Abid, your rate of 3 dollars per minute seem
... See more
Hello there,
There are already a few posts which deal with this topic. For example: http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling.html
When looking at rates, it's important to know exactly what they are referring to, i.e. just translating subtitles or time-cueing.
Abid, your rate of 3 dollars per minute seems pretty low.
It might be a good idea to know exactly what is involved, especially with regards to time-cuing, before offering these services. I suggest you familiarise yourself with any software you might use, and also get an idea of norms for subtitling, taking into consideration reading speeds, how to split up sentences etc. The agency or client may or may not have some guidelines regarding this.
Anyway, best of luck to you.
Collapse

luciagutierrez
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Sep 30, 2015

Jane Ledlie wrote:

Hello there,
It might be a good idea to know exactly what is involved, especially with regards to time-cuing, before offering these services. I suggest you familiarise yourself with any software you might use, and also get an idea of norms for subtitling, taking into consideration reading speeds, how to split up sentences etc. The agency or client may or may not have some guidelines regarding this.

luciagutierrez
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Differences Sep 30, 2015

Hi,

I know the technical aspects of subtitling in my language combination, as I have just finished an MA in Audiovisual Translation. However, I do not know anything regarding right to left languages, hence my question.
They told me that I was going to receive the text of the subtitles already prepared to just time them in. So I think that the translation bit is going to be done by another translator and I just have to time-cue.

I will take a look at the other pos
... See more
Hi,

I know the technical aspects of subtitling in my language combination, as I have just finished an MA in Audiovisual Translation. However, I do not know anything regarding right to left languages, hence my question.
They told me that I was going to receive the text of the subtitles already prepared to just time them in. So I think that the translation bit is going to be done by another translator and I just have to time-cue.

I will take a look at the other posts now. I was just wondering if it really matters that much to be charging differently. I used to cue the subtitles with Swift in my MA, but now I do not have access to it anymore. Nevertheless, I do have access to EZ Titles, so I think I will be using that software.

Thank you for all your answers.

Jane Ledlie wrote:

Hello there,
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Timing rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »