Peter Leeflang
Peter Leeflang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:13
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2019

For those using their CAT tool in combination with an API link to Google Translate:

Has anyone seen the message from Google that they are instituting a new pricing suystem as of tomorrow Movember 1 2019 for their Google Translate API?

They will charge our bank accounts a minimum amount each month of $10 and then apply any usage on that balance first. The final monthly balance will NOT roll over.

That is an enormous prixce change when not using it sufficien
... See more
For those using their CAT tool in combination with an API link to Google Translate:

Has anyone seen the message from Google that they are instituting a new pricing suystem as of tomorrow Movember 1 2019 for their Google Translate API?

They will charge our bank accounts a minimum amount each month of $10 and then apply any usage on that balance first. The final monthly balance will NOT roll over.

That is an enormous prixce change when not using it sufficiently.

So, that way the API costs at least $120 annually.

I quote their email below:
-------------------
Hello Google Translation API customer,

We’re writing to let you know that to simplify pricing and allow more customers to benefit from free usage, we’re updating the pricing structure for the Cloud Translation API v2 and Cloud Translation API v3 effective November 1, 2019.
What do I need to know?

Current pricing for the Translation API v3 includes a free tier (no charges) for the first 500k characters of Text Translations (SKU E205-31DB-F1F4) each month. Effective November 1, 2019, we’re replacing the free tier with a $10 usage credit (equivalent to 500k characters of Text Translations), which will be applied to your billing account each month.

The usage credit:

Will be applied once per billing account per month.
Will be applied to both existing and new customers of the Translation API v2 and Translation API v3.
Can be used across both the Translation API v2 and Translation API v3.
Applies to the covered SKUs listed below, so any combination of usage will be charged against this credit up to a maximum of $10, after which any usage above this limit will be charged per normal pricing.
Will not roll over if unused, but will be reset each month.
Will not appear in the SKU description for Translate.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
As always... Nov 1, 2019

As always, these things begin with a "special introductory offer" as a way of seducing you in and getting your details.

Avoid anything that requires a monthly subscription.

I know this is becoming more difficult to do, but it seems to be an international money-milking thing that we have to resist.

In most cases you get nothing new or significant for your monthly subscription. Why (for example) should I pay a monthly subscription for MSOffice? Does Micro
... See more
As always, these things begin with a "special introductory offer" as a way of seducing you in and getting your details.

Avoid anything that requires a monthly subscription.

I know this is becoming more difficult to do, but it seems to be an international money-milking thing that we have to resist.

In most cases you get nothing new or significant for your monthly subscription. Why (for example) should I pay a monthly subscription for MSOffice? Does Microsoft give me something wonderful and new every month?

I'm dreading that Proz may decide to go the same route.....dear Proz, please don't !

[Edited at 2019-11-01 09:49 GMT]
Collapse

Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.
Ronnie Halpern
Peter Leeflang
esperantisto
Gurvitch Dutès
Philip Lees
Xinwu Zhou

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I agree entirely Nov 1, 2019

I agree with you 100% Tom. I am still using MS Office 2007, which I purchased on CD 10 years ago, which works perfectly with Windows 10 and which still provides everything that I need for translation purposes.

Jean Chao

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Office 2008 Nov 1, 2019

Ronnie Halpern wrote:

I agree with you 100% Tom. I am still using MS Office 2007, which I purchased on CD 10 years ago, which works perfectly with Windows 10 and which still provides everything that I need for translation purposes.

And I'm still on Office 2008 for Mac, which is far better than any of the subsequent versions (even though it crashes quite a lot). I also have Office 2011 and Office 2016, which I never even open - particularly Office 2016, which is almost impossible to use as compared to Office 2008.

There's no way I would take out a monthly subscription for Google Translate, which is pretty useless anyway.

[Edited at 2019-11-01 10:26 GMT]

paulo bras
paulo bras
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You nailed it Nov 1, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Tom, bullseye here. The service providers have discovered that a subscription based model is waaaaayyyyy more profitable. why bleed a customer for 100$ at once, when you can milk them for 5$/month for eternity?

this thing (specifically in software industry) all started when photoshop changed from a bought software package to a monthly paid system some years ago, and they struck gold. since then, everybody started copying the model.

stick with old version, open source. don't let your wallet die the "one thousand cuts" death

Tom in London
Philippe Etienne

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, I understand it differently Nov 1, 2019

Peter Leeflang wrote:
For those using their CAT tool in combination with an API link to Google Translate
So, that way the API costs at least $120 annually.

https://cloud.google.com/translate/pricing
Note: Effective 11/1/2019, up to $10 worth of free usage/month will be applied to billed accounts using either v2 or v3 of the Translation API. The usage applies to NMT and PBMT text translation, and language detection calls, collectively.

The way I understand that notice (and the e-mail you received), nothing really changes, except the way that they do the accounting.

Instead of giving you the first 500 000 characters per month for free, and billing you only for any characters above 500 000 per month, they will now bill you for all characters, but they'll give you a "credit" of $10 each month. And lest anyone should think that they could save up their unused credits so that they can use them later, Google clarifies that no, you can't carry over unused free credit.

[Edited at 2019-11-01 11:16 GMT]

Clive Phillips
Gerard de Noord
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dylan J Hartmann
Taner Tanrıöver
Edwin den Boer
Jorge Payan

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Samuel Murray, Nov 1, 2019

as ever, has read it carefully and correctly. I received the same email notification from Google Cloud Platform.
Clive

Peter Leeflang
Peter Leeflang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:13
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
we will see Nov 1, 2019

We will see if they do not start charging. A $10 usage credit doe snot come dropping out of the sky. Today free, tomorrow paid. More on this next month.
Deepl, another such service, already charges a hefty fee for similar functionality.

[Edited at 2019-11-01 11:58 GMT]

Tom in London

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
FUD Nov 1, 2019

Please read carefully and do not spread FUD.

Both API v2 and v3 users now have 500,000 characters (roughly 70,000 words, I think) of free usage per month. Past that, prices are 'pro rata' (proportional and incremental). https://cloud.google.com/translate/pricing

Thank you.

[Edited at 2019-11-01 14:39 GMT]

Gerard de Noord
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dylan J Hartmann
Edwin den Boer

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Not skyrocketing...basically FREE Nov 1, 2019

I also confirmed with Google staff on the matter:

Over the past 12 months, I only used over 500k characters in 2 months.

They thereby confirmed that instead of paying ~ $5/month and ~$15 for those 2 months, I would've only been charged for the 2 months that went over 500k characters!

So, Google Translate API IS NOT SKYROCKETING. Instead, for most translators with around 80k words/month capacity like myself, Google Translate has basically be
... See more
I also confirmed with Google staff on the matter:

Over the past 12 months, I only used over 500k characters in 2 months.

They thereby confirmed that instead of paying ~ $5/month and ~$15 for those 2 months, I would've only been charged for the 2 months that went over 500k characters!

So, Google Translate API IS NOT SKYROCKETING. Instead, for most translators with around 80k words/month capacity like myself, Google Translate has basically become free.
Collapse

Edwin den Boer
Natasha Ziada (X)
Jean Chao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate API skyrocketing November 1

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »