Sarah Van Pevenage
Belgium
Local time: 00:59
Arabic to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 8, 2018

Hi,

I have a question.

I work as a translator in Belgium and normally I have to charge a tax of 21% on each translation invoice.

Now, I've been working for a company in the US and I was wondering if I have to charge this for them to?

If not, what do I put on my invoice so I don't get in trouble with the tax agencies?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:59
Danish to English
+ ...
VAT Feb 9, 2018

You should only charge VAT when selling to

1. a consumer (or business that is not VAT-registered) in the EU's VAT area or
2. any client (business or consumer) in your own Member State, in your case Belgium.

If you sell to a VAT-registered business in another EU Member State (and thus don't charge VAT), you need to mention "reverse VAT" (probably in French or Dutch) on your invoice and the client's VAT number (which you have validated in the EU's VIES system).
... See more
You should only charge VAT when selling to

1. a consumer (or business that is not VAT-registered) in the EU's VAT area or
2. any client (business or consumer) in your own Member State, in your case Belgium.

If you sell to a VAT-registered business in another EU Member State (and thus don't charge VAT), you need to mention "reverse VAT" (probably in French or Dutch) on your invoice and the client's VAT number (which you have validated in the EU's VIES system).

If you sell to anyone outside the EU's VAT area, there is no need to mention anything in particular. You just invoice without VAT.
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
German to English
No VAT Feb 9, 2018

You don't even mention VAT on your invoice.

But: You will have to charge nominal VAT on the invoice total in your next VAT return. At the same time, you can reclaim exactly the same amount as input tax.

[Edited at 2018-02-09 23:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applying taxes for the US

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »