Autor wątku: Hirundo
Hirundo
Hirundo
Local time: 22:35
Członek ProZ.com
angielski > niderlandzki
+ ...
Jul 22, 2015

I am puzzled by the behavior of Alt+Down in Wordfast Pro 3.4.4.
Is it intentional or am I doing something this wrong?

I am proofreading a translation using the original TM (= TM that has not yet been updated with the translation). Alt+Down (next segment TM commit) seems to do as follows, regardless whether "Perform TM Lookup automatically" is selected or not:

(1) WF commits the current segment to the TM,
(2) moves to the next segment, and then
(3) ins
... See more
I am puzzled by the behavior of Alt+Down in Wordfast Pro 3.4.4.
Is it intentional or am I doing something this wrong?

I am proofreading a translation using the original TM (= TM that has not yet been updated with the translation). Alt+Down (next segment TM commit) seems to do as follows, regardless whether "Perform TM Lookup automatically" is selected or not:

(1) WF commits the current segment to the TM,
(2) moves to the next segment, and then
(3) instantly overwrites the translation there with a fuzzy match from the TM.

I find automatically overwriting in step (3) unacceptable. Instead of showing the translation, WF immediately replaces it with a wrong (because fuzzy) match! Why does it do that? WF should not blindly insert from the TM if there is a translation already; it makes proofreading impossible.

Is there not one key combination to commit the current segment and move to the next one without automatically overwriting it?

Alt+End (commit current) followed by Ctrl+Down (next segment no commit = lookup in TM without inserting from TM) seems to do that, but I find two actions (four keys) for something so simple too cumbersome on long texts.

Thanks for helpful answers!

Joachim
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 15:35
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > angielski
Preferences Jul 22, 2015

Dear Joachim,

You are not the only one to experience this frustration.

The secret lies in changing your preferences so that Alt+Down arrow commits but does not leverage the next segment.

You do so by unticking the box in this section of the preferences: http://screencast.com/t/xWWbONqkTSLq

I think it might be better to replace a preference tick box
... See more
Dear Joachim,

You are not the only one to experience this frustration.

The secret lies in changing your preferences so that Alt+Down arrow commits but does not leverage the next segment.

You do so by unticking the box in this section of the preferences: http://screencast.com/t/xWWbONqkTSLq

I think it might be better to replace a preference tick box by making a new command and assigning a shortcut. This way you don't have to go back and forth ticking and unticking this box between jobs.

My suggestion:
Alt+Enter could be used to commit current segment, confirm it (if unconfirmed), and move to next segment without leveraging the next segment.

Currently Alt+Enter is used to unconfirm a segment (all segments are confirmed by default) and also to confirm it if it had been unconfirmed. WFC uses F10 to do the same thing. The shortcut to confirm/unconfirm a current segment could be replaced with F10.

Comments? Other ideas?

Hope this helps!

John
Collapse

Hirundo
Hirundo
Local time: 22:35
Członek ProZ.com
angielski > niderlandzki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks, and agree with suggestion Jul 23, 2015

Thank you very much, John.

My suggestion:
Alt+Enter could be used to commit current segment, confirm it (if unconfirmed), and move to next segment without leveraging the next segment.

Yes, and I also think that not leveraging should be default behavior.

The current default behavior (when I click "Restore Defaults" in the settings in your screenshot) is to leverage the next segment. I saw that means that WF will automatically replace tra
... See more
Thank you very much, John.

My suggestion:

Yes, and I also think that not leveraging should be default behavior.

The current default behavior (when I click "Restore Defaults" in the settings in your screenshot) is to leverage the next segment. I saw that means that WF will automatically replace translations with fuzzy matches without warning me; I do not consider that a safe working environment.

Or is there a good reason to make this unsafe behavior the default?

Joachim
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Puzzled by Alt+Down behavior, WF Pro 3.4.4

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »