snjezana husnjak pavlek  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 05:43
English to Croatian
+ ...
May 3, 2011

there is no name on it for one thing

Dear Sir/ Madam,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXXX and I am the HR Manager at XXXX International. We are a professional services company supporting the US Federal agencies and Government contractors worldwide.

During our search through websites, we came across your resume as a potential candidate for our company. I would be very interested in speaking with you regarding the position.

We are currently collectin
... See more
there is no name on it for one thing

Dear Sir/ Madam,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXXX and I am the HR Manager at XXXX International. We are a professional services company supporting the US Federal agencies and Government contractors worldwide.

During our search through websites, we came across your resume as a potential candidate for our company. I would be very interested in speaking with you regarding the position.

We are currently collecting resumes on potential candidates that would be interested to work in our organization which will be launch in July of 2011.

As this is an initial stage, we will discuss the compensation package once we have been contacted by you.

If you are interested in more information and/or would like to apply, kindly fill out the attached form and letter of intent along with your signature and return via e-mail by end of tomorrow. Some of the info already being filled and appreciate if you can fill some that not known to us. Please take note that there will be no obligation from either party until the selection process is finalized. This is the first step in our hiring process and if you are selected, we will notify you via email or phone.

We highly encourage you to contact us in the next couple days as we are anticipating a high volume of candidates and we will treat each applicant with integrity and first come basis.

For contact information, please see below.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Human Resources Manager

Then there is a blank resume attached

A. PERSONAL INFORMATION
Name:
SSN:
B. PROPOSED POSITION AND AVAILABILITY

Position Title/Level:

Available Start Date:
Percent Availability (e.g., 100%, 75%, 50%):
C. RELEVANT QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALTIES

D. EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND EXPERIENCE (Beginning with the most recent)
Date: [note gaps must be explained]
Company:
POC:
Phone Number:
Job Title and Description:

Date:
Company:
POC:
Phone Number:

A. PERSONAL INFORMATION
Name:
SSN:
B. PROPOSED POSITION AND AVAILABILITY

Position Title/Level:

Available Start Date:
Percent Availability (e.g., 100%, 75%, 50%):
C. RELEVANT QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALTIES

D. EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND EXPERIENCE (Beginning with the most recent)
Date: [note gaps must be explained]
Company:
POC:
Phone Number:

Date:
Company:
POC:
Phone Number:

E. EDUCATION
Year: Degree: Major:
Granting Institution:
Additional Technical and Specialty Training/Certification (include course name, dates, certifying
Agency/School/Organization)
Name: Date:
Name: Date:

F. CLEARANCES:
Clearances held:
Effective Date:
Granting Organization:

Pending Clearances:
Application Date:
Granting Organization:

The last part is troubling me, and I can find no reference to the LAMP PILOT LITE programme they refer to. Something stinks I think: any pointers people?
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 23:43
English to French
+ ...
Maybe... May 3, 2011

This looks like a genuine recruitment attempt by a real company, like others I've seen in the past, although you are never sure...

Let's admit first that the understated perspectives sound too good to be true: "a professional services company supporting the US Federal agencies and Government contractors worldwide", wow! (We all dream of working for US Federal agencies and the like, this should be seen as the piece of cheese in the mouse trap.) Another element in favour of the scam t
... See more
This looks like a genuine recruitment attempt by a real company, like others I've seen in the past, although you are never sure...

Let's admit first that the understated perspectives sound too good to be true: "a professional services company supporting the US Federal agencies and Government contractors worldwide", wow! (We all dream of working for US Federal agencies and the like, this should be seen as the piece of cheese in the mouse trap.) Another element in favour of the scam theory: these people are not in your country (International, mind you!), and in case of a real scam you will probably have no legal recourse.

I would start by looking at XXXXX International's presence on the Web, and check if XXXXXX is really the Human Resource manager, see if the addresses, e-mails and telephone numbers match.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:43
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Definitely a scam, maybe Identity Theft. May 3, 2011

I definitely smell scam, since the person who wrote the message did not elaborate what kind of "services" they are offering. They could be in some illegal business for all you know. And they never mention what kind of positions are available for you.

I think this person or persons claiming to be some kind of entity is trying to collect data from various people to use them in an illegal way.

Personally, I would not respond to such messages.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam! May 3, 2011

I would definitely refrain from giving anyone my SSN!!! Very probably an attempt to steal your identity.

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 06:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Strange May 3, 2011

I received it too. They ask to sign some forms and promise to reveal more about the project. I had a look at the forms - they want you to sign the following: "It is my intent to be available to this effort, as soon as required..." I tried to find out more about "the effort" but a lady asked me to sign the forms first.

Even if it is not a scam, my only word for such companies is 'goodbye'.

doryraly
doryraly  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:43
Romanian to English
+ ...
it smells like a scam to me May 3, 2011

Anyone asking you to give them you SS# in something that looks like a standardized email sent to many others is a scam. period.

snjezana husnjak pavlek
snjezana husnjak pavlek  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Received this email and think it's a scam May 4, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. I had my doubts from the outset, but thought I should flag it up and keep everyone aware of what is out there.

All the best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Received this email and think it's a scam

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »