Warning about probable scam
Thread poster: Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 19:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2011

I have been approached by an "agency" in Egypt, which sent me a file for quotation. I have never had any contact with this firm before and am always suspicious if approached with a job before any preliminary contact has been made. On the Blue Board several entries give a company with a very similar (not identical) name a 1 and declare it to be a non-payer and a fake company. Two entries give it 5 but, surprise surprise, neither of these 'members' seems to have a genuine identities on Proz.
... See more
I have been approached by an "agency" in Egypt, which sent me a file for quotation. I have never had any contact with this firm before and am always suspicious if approached with a job before any preliminary contact has been made. On the Blue Board several entries give a company with a very similar (not identical) name a 1 and declare it to be a non-payer and a fake company. Two entries give it 5 but, surprise surprise, neither of these 'members' seems to have a genuine identities on Proz.

This begs the question: is this company able to concoct fake proz members to give itself blue board marks?

If this is the case, then we all need to be increasingly wary.
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hm, well... Mar 28, 2011

I got an email last week from an agency offering me translation work at a pitiful rate (USD 0.04); I see their BB ratings are mostly 5s, so I think that's equally worrying.

[Edited at 2011-03-28 12:07 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:09
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Two options Mar 28, 2011

Gilla Evans wrote:

This begs the question: is this company able to concoct fake proz members to give itself blue board marks?

If this is the case, then we all need to be increasingly wary.

Option 1: just ignore the message.
Option 2: if you are really desperate in earning a few bucks, ask them for an upfront payment and see if they accept your counter-offer.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 18:09
Japanese to English
Yup Mar 28, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
Option 1: just ignore the message.
Option 2: if you are really desperate in earning a few bucks, ask them for an upfront payment and see if they accept your counter-offer.

Yes, asking for advance payment is a good way to get rid of shady agencies. Either they accept and you get your money quickly, or they go away and leave you alone.

Be sure to insist on bank transfer only and don't start till the payment comes through. Cheques can bounce or be fake, and Paypal transfers can be reversed.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
purpose of the message - warning Mar 28, 2011

Ignore it I shall, and I'm certainly not desperate to earn a few bucks.

I just want to raise the issue of the possible misuse of the blue board by scammers or dishonest agencies.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
?? Mar 28, 2011

Gilla Evans wrote:
Ignore it I shall, and I'm certainly not desperate to earn a few bucks.

What on Earth are you going to do with a few ducks?

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation and ducks Mar 28, 2011

are not such rare bedfellows:

Many years ago, when I ran a translation company in Sheffield, we worked regularly for a duck farm that exported breeding stock all over the world, notably to Bolivia... After a particularly busy period of work for them, during which time we really pulled out all the stops to meet extremely tight deadlines, we took delivery of a gift of a box of fresh oven-ready ducks.

Unable to accommodate more than a couple of them in our small freezers,
... See more
are not such rare bedfellows:

Many years ago, when I ran a translation company in Sheffield, we worked regularly for a duck farm that exported breeding stock all over the world, notably to Bolivia... After a particularly busy period of work for them, during which time we really pulled out all the stops to meet extremely tight deadlines, we took delivery of a gift of a box of fresh oven-ready ducks.

Unable to accommodate more than a couple of them in our small freezers, we ended up giving most of them to the Salvation Army to feed the homeless...
Collapse

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:09
Greek to English
In memoriam
Duck! Mar 28, 2011

Gilla Evans wrote:

we worked regularly for a duck farm
After a particularly busy period of work for them,[...] we took delivery of a gift of a box of fresh oven-ready ducks.
[/quote]

You've given me ideas! I need to market my services to alcohol manufacturers and distributers!! A free case of wine at the end of a project would be very welcome!

[By the way, completely off-topic.... the old lady who lives next door to me, who plays lovely classical piano music most evenings, has just played 'Jingle Bells'!!]

Astrid vanBeek (X)
Astrid vanBeek (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why would we ignore scams? Mar 30, 2011

I just received one of those scam emails for a well paid job that seems to good to be true.
And when I look at all the replies in this forum, everyone just seems to think that ignoring is the only answer???
I checked the IP address, but only AFTER I already sent my CV, you know why?
The initial email seemed very legit and now... now my information is out there in Nigeria and God knows what they'll do with it!!

I wish this could be stopped, it is unbelievable that e
... See more
I just received one of those scam emails for a well paid job that seems to good to be true.
And when I look at all the replies in this forum, everyone just seems to think that ignoring is the only answer???
I checked the IP address, but only AFTER I already sent my CV, you know why?
The initial email seemed very legit and now... now my information is out there in Nigeria and God knows what they'll do with it!!

I wish this could be stopped, it is unbelievable that even Proz thinks ignoring will make the problem go away...

Astrid
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning about probable scam

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »