Pages sur ce sujet:   [1 2 3 4] >
Beta release of new freelancer directory
Auteur du fil: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 18:30
COLLABORATEUR DU SITE
Mar 24, 2005

A beta release of a new freelancer directory is now available: http://www.proz.com/directory

The new directory incorporates a number of site improvements, including detailed fields of expertise, availability indication, targeted KudoZ points, and personal member lists. More information is shown in each directory listing, such as availability (se
... See more
A beta release of a new freelancer directory is now available: http://www.proz.com/directory

The new directory incorporates a number of site improvements, including detailed fields of expertise, availability indication, targeted KudoZ points, and personal member lists. More information is shown in each directory listing, such as availability (see this forum topic for details), years of experience, native language, pro KudoZ points in field, online status and years at ProZ.com.

In order to have a representative listing in the directory, it is important for freelancers to specify detailed fields of expertise in their profiles. See this Howto article for more information about optimizing your listing in the new directory: http://www.proz.com/howto/289

Listings in the new directory are ordered by PRO KudoZ points in the field and language pair specified. This helps translators to stand out in their particular fields of expertise. See this forum post for more information about the increasing emphasis on PRO KudoZ points: http://www.proz.com/topic/30718

Please take a look at the new directory. If you are a freelancer, run through the Howto and optimize your listing to increase your chance of getting clients when this directory becomes the default freelancer directory. If you are an outsourcer, see if the new directory makes it easier to find the right freelancer for the job.

After you have given the new directory a try, please take a few moments to tell us what you think by filling out this survey.

Thanks,

Jason
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 23:30
italien vers anglais
Wow! Mar 24, 2005

Quite staggering. Must make ProZ.com the first stop for the majority of clients.
Congratulations. Any way of marketing this?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlande
Local time: 01:30
Membre (2003)
finnois vers allemand
+ ...
A two-sided sword Mar 25, 2005

I know that most clients (agencies) don't even know what "field of expertise" a certain job requires, they often specify a job as "chemical" when its a machine that is used to process stuff, where mechanical engeneering is the field, which the translator has to know. So I'm in doubt of the usefulness of such detailed specification in a freelancer's directory.
And what availability? Of course its all the time ON, would anybody put it ever to OFF? I'm in doubt.

This detailed dir
... See more
I know that most clients (agencies) don't even know what "field of expertise" a certain job requires, they often specify a job as "chemical" when its a machine that is used to process stuff, where mechanical engeneering is the field, which the translator has to know. So I'm in doubt of the usefulness of such detailed specification in a freelancer's directory.
And what availability? Of course its all the time ON, would anybody put it ever to OFF? I'm in doubt.

This detailed directory does not serve translators of small languages, i'm afraid. But perhaps i*m too negative.

Gould programming, Jason!

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
espagnol vers anglais
Availability is a good feature Mar 25, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Well, I've just turned mine to OFF. I've been stating my availability on my page for quite a while now. I think it saves everybody time if outsourcers know before trying to contact you that you're too busy or on holiday.

Look at it the other way, if you're always available, then obviously nobody wants to work with you!

Thanks Jason and Proz for these interesting new features.

And Happy Easter everyone

[Edited at 2005-03-25 09:46]

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 00:30
anglais vers polonais
+ ...
A welcome improvement Mar 25, 2005

Availability seems a very useful feature.
However, while checking out the new directory and my standing there, I saw a chance of further improvement, related to the 'Experience' feature.
My own example: I've been a sworn translator for 19 years now but as I've always had a small side job just for financial security, I cannot show my full time experience here.
How about separating experience and full time featu
... See more
Availability seems a very useful feature.
However, while checking out the new directory and my standing there, I saw a chance of further improvement, related to the 'Experience' feature.
My own example: I've been a sworn translator for 19 years now but as I've always had a small side job just for financial security, I cannot show my full time experience here.
How about separating experience and full time features? Full/part time employment would hint at a weekly output a customer can reasonably expect, while experience is quite a different aspect.
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:30
Membre (2004)
anglais vers russe
+ ...
Personal lists Mar 25, 2005

Fantastic improvements -- the directory, availability and personal lists!

Also, it would be great if we could add our colleagues to our personal lists not only via the directory, but also directly via their profiles. I mean you just open someone's profile and click a button like "Add this pro to your personal list" with a menu of your existing lists to select.

awilliams
awilliams
Royaume-Uni
italien vers anglais
+ ...
cheers Mar 25, 2005

Thanks for all your work on this.

Having filled out your survey on a bit of a downer I've since had a bit of a play with the new directory and it's pretty good. Sorry - I take it all back!

The native language element is by far the best (and most useful) thing for me.

However...without meaning to go over a pretty stale topic again (hopefully the worms will stay firmly in the can) I still believe that the only fair (and helpful) way of organising the
... See more
Thanks for all your work on this.

Having filled out your survey on a bit of a downer I've since had a bit of a play with the new directory and it's pretty good. Sorry - I take it all back!

The native language element is by far the best (and most useful) thing for me.

However...without meaning to go over a pretty stale topic again (hopefully the worms will stay firmly in the can) I still believe that the only fair (and helpful) way of organising the directory is according to ratio of points gained/questions answered, thereby putting everyone on an equal footing.

Is there a strategy in place yet for verifying native languages where pros claim two? I wonder how this affects the listings too? Perhaps confirmed native languages should be shown in bold or something?

Overall, I like it.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

[Edited at 2005-03-25 17:42]
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Pologne
Local time: 00:30
anglais vers russe
+ ...
misunderstanding with * mark Mar 26, 2005

"...* indicate languages and fields in which you have expressed interest"
What does "you have expressed" mean?
I thought this means my Specialty, Working and Interest fields, but there are many fields with *, which I didn't choose as any of option, and some of my working fields are not marked with * at all...
Though it's not very important, can anyone explain the meaning of this *, please?

Ruxi
Ruxi
allemand vers roumain
+ ...
It does not work proper! Mar 26, 2005

It is a good idea, but it doesn't work proper.
I tried to look for me, like being an outsourcer looking for a translator. I did not appear in any list regarding my specialities in the language pairs.
Instead it always appears a Russian guy.
Why is it like this?
About the specialities:
1. What Heinrich Pesch sais is not quite correct: chemical means chemical. It is also a category called engineering - chemical, which refers to the machines and installments for the ch
... See more
I tried to look for me, like being an outsourcer looking for a translator. I did not appear in any list regarding my specialities in the language pairs.
Instead it always appears a Russian guy.
Why is it like this?
About the specialities:
1. What Heinrich Pesch sais is not quite correct: chemical means chemical. It is also a category called engineering - chemical, which refers to the machines and installments for the chemical industry.The only difference is that a guy which knows chemistry does not know machines for the chemical industry automatically, but a guy which knows machines for the chemical industry does automatically know chemistry.
2. I don't understand the meaning of Engineering Industry and why is mechanical and others being put separate? Mechanical means all except electrics and IT industry and maybe construction.
Then why are there two categories for transport/shipping, but no category for road or railway construction/maintenance?

About language pairs:
1. Why are there for some languages (En,Ge) three items and what does "old" and "middle" mean? Insted why does it not appear: UKEn,USEn, CanadaEnglish, African En a.s.o, Austrian Ge, Swiss Ge?
These are important items, not old and middle.

Ruxi
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brésil
Local time: 19:30
Membre (2001)
anglais vers italien
+ ...
You are listed Mar 26, 2005

Ruxi wrote:

Dear Ruxi,

I had a look at the German-Romanian language pair, Tech./Eng broad field, non-Platinum section, and you are there.

I also looked, sampling one of your specific fields, at German-Romanian pairs again, Engineering: Chemical specific field, non-Platinum section, and you are there again, with your nickname underlined (meaning that you have selected this specific field as one of your specialties).

It seems that the directory is working as intended.
About all the rest, I pass.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-03-26 14:17]

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:30
espagnol vers anglais
Improving visibility Mar 26, 2005

Hello Ruxi,

I also checked, and you are ranked 7th (under non-Platinum members for Tech/Eng). As Gianfranco mentions, you also come up on a more detailed search (you come up 1st on a search for Engineering - Chemical, under non-Platinum members).

One suggestion I would make is to add in some basic details. If I were an outsourcer doing a search, I would probably skip past your name, since there are several blank fields (native language/country, experience, CAT tools an
... See more
Hello Ruxi,

I also checked, and you are ranked 7th (under non-Platinum members for Tech/Eng). As Gianfranco mentions, you also come up on a more detailed search (you come up 1st on a search for Engineering - Chemical, under non-Platinum members).

One suggestion I would make is to add in some basic details. If I were an outsourcer doing a search, I would probably skip past your name, since there are several blank fields (native language/country, experience, CAT tools and tagline).

As far as my profile, I prefer to keep it very light (just like a résumé, most employers can't be bothered reading pages of information). However, there are items that can definitely improve your ranking and visibility, such as reported/verified credentials, KudoZ participation and the other items I mentioned.

Anyway, just some basic suggestions with regard to ranking.

Russell
Collapse

Ruxi
Ruxi
allemand vers roumain
+ ...
Thank you Mar 26, 2005

Yes, know I found myself too. I didn't notice there is a column for Platinum/Non-platinum.
One more question though:
Why are agencies listed on our lists with freelance translators? Because they are!

Thank you,
Ruxi

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brésil
Local time: 19:30
Membre (2001)
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Outsourcers/Agencies in the Freelancer directory Mar 26, 2005

Ruxi wrote:
Why are agencies listed on our lists with freelance translators? Because they are!

Currently any member can choose to register as:
  • Freelancer
  • Agency
    and
  • Both

It must be said that, in general, it is not easy to classify the whole business and we would probably need not three but at least 5-6 or even more separate categories.

The current classification, admittedly a bit too simple, has been inherited from the beginning of ProZ.com, and was intended to allocate those freelancers who also occasionally outsource some work, rather than full blown agencies.
    Initially there was not even an agency directory, and the one we have now is not specialized, but it simply replicates the freelancers structure.

Anyway, real agencies should choose the proper option and not appear at all in the freelancers directory, but at the moment we have some businesses that "exploit" the system and simply gain double exposure, placing themselves in both directories.

Things will change, and I hope very soon, with a better classification between agencies (or "outsourcers"), possibly in a renewed outsourcers directory, and translators (freelancers who personally deliver personally most of their service), who may also occasionally outsource some work, but they would stay in the freelancers section, perhaps with a marker to distinguish the nature of their service.

Things are under analysis and there are plans to rectify this issue. I hope this answers your point.

bye
    Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-03-26 17:22]

• Konstantin Kisin
    Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
    Royaume-Uni
    russe vers anglais
    + ...
    Great! Mar 27, 2005

Well I think this new development is excellent. I have looked at it in detail and I think it will be a benefit to both translators and clients.

Thanks a lot, we're getting more for our money with every passing month

Lesley Clarke
    Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
    Mexique
    Local time: 16:30
    espagnol vers anglais
    Help! I don't appear in the directory Mar 27, 2005

It looks good but even though I think I have done everything I should, but I don't appear in the directory. Can anyone tell what I am doing wrong?

Later that day...
    solved the problem, for some reason I was down as living in Moldovia, even though my profile page said Mexico.

[Edited at 2005-03-28 04:49]

Pages sur ce sujet:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beta release of new freelancer directory

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »