Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Is there a field you would like to specialize in that you are not already?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pollster may have run out of space… Oct 25, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

I must be due to retire from active service, which would be a pity, as I can't quite afford it yet. I had to read this one twice.

"Is there a field you would like to specialize in that you are not already?" That I am not already what? OK, so I know it means" that you are not already specializing in", or "that you don't already specialize in". I'm going to sound fusssy here, but I'm old enough to take the critics on the chin. As it stands, we just have the auxiliary withouth the main verb a second time. FYI, I am not already a field. I know that the main verb is understood, implied, probably even down right obvious. Wouldn't it just be nice to have a complete sentence though?

Yup, must be time to hang up my hat, or to crawl back under the nearest rock to join other lower forms of life.

[Edited at 2017-10-25 15:58 GMT]

I'm with you on this one, Nikki. Call us curmudgeons, but a) we are language professionals and b) this is supposed to be a forum for such professionals. Ergo, typos, poor syntax and faulty grammar have no place here.

Who knows? Maybe the guy (or gal) was thinking of Twitter and ran out of space.

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:17
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes.. Oct 25, 2017

My mentor really guided me on my decision-making process.
I have translated and interpreted for years and one of my direct clients changed some of their training systems, which now uses more audio-visual material. I felt it was time to develop audio-visual skills and that came along with another need which is note taking for consecutive interpretation. I currently work with it, but think it is time find and learn new methods.... See more
My mentor really guided me on my decision-making process.
I have translated and interpreted for years and one of my direct clients changed some of their training systems, which now uses more audio-visual material. I felt it was time to develop audio-visual skills and that came along with another need which is note taking for consecutive interpretation. I currently work with it, but think it is time find and learn new methods.

[Edited at 2017-10-25 17:49 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not anymore Oct 26, 2017

I worked very hard to specialize in the fields I work with, and I have in-house experience in all of them, most of which in the actual professions and as a translator. I no longer have the time to dedicate to entirely new fields and I will surely never work in-house again. I do accept work in fields I'm not specialized in, as long as their do not involve risks to the target-public, so I'm alwys learning a lot in other fields, but it will never reach the status of another "specialization".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is there a field you would like to specialize in that you are not already?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »