Off topic: Need to watch crap on YouTube for jobs: is logging out enough to keep it from thinking I like that?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2021

What's the proper procedure for checking YouTube videos for jobs that do NOT reflect your tastes, interests, and demographics, to keep their data mining algorithms from bombarding you with that junk in the future?

Please advise. I do not wish my mix of lefty political commentary and Chinese costume dramas to turn into a steady stream of suggestions and ads for children ages 3-7.

Melissa Meza
Melissa Meza  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use the incognito mode Dec 9, 2021

Chrome has an incognito mode that doesn't save your activity data on your device, or to a Google Account you’re not signed into. So try watching videos on youtube on incognito mode so the videos are not saved on your personal youtube account.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Some suggestions Dec 10, 2021

- Use a VPN or Tor
- Always clear your browsing history, cookies, cache, etc upon closing your web browser; or
- Going full-time incognito
- Never sign in to your Google account when you are out for some entertainment
- Always use pseudonyms if you were just browsing/researching, and never reveal your PII
- Use an ad blocker (I personally use uBlock Origin)
- Use Enhancer for YouTube extension/addon to block recommended videos
- Avoid a shady-looking guy
... See more
- Use a VPN or Tor
- Always clear your browsing history, cookies, cache, etc upon closing your web browser; or
- Going full-time incognito
- Never sign in to your Google account when you are out for some entertainment
- Always use pseudonyms if you were just browsing/researching, and never reveal your PII
- Use an ad blocker (I personally use uBlock Origin)
- Use Enhancer for YouTube extension/addon to block recommended videos
- Avoid a shady-looking guy offering you some [FREE KROMER], it's a trap!
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Sleep for 7-8 hours every night
- Eat enough green veggies, drink enough water
- Wear a mask
- Wash your hands often
- Don't go to a crowded pub when there is an ongoing global pandemic like some idiots do
- Get your vaccines if you haven't
- And please don't raid Area 51, it'll do no good for your well being.

Cheers.

[Edited at 2021-12-10 04:26 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:18
Greek to English
Beats me Dec 10, 2021

As far as I can tell, if I watch just one video that, let's say, for example, reviews the Beatles "Get Back" documentary, YouTube assumes that I will immediately want to watch another six items on the same topic.

Fortunately, though, the identity I use for logging into YouTube is completely fictitious, so those preferences do not percolate elsewhere.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:18
English to Turkish
Use a different browser Dec 10, 2021

Use your least favorite browser for that purpose.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
VPN Dec 10, 2021

Adieu wrote:
What's the proper procedure for checking YouTube videos for jobs that do NOT reflect your tastes, interests, and demographics, to keep their data mining algorithms from bombarding you with that junk in the future?

I suspect you need to use a VPN (and change your country) *and* use a different browser.

Even then you may not be safe. Web sites have an uncanny way of knowing who I am despite my best efforts. Sometimes, when I view a product on one browser, web sites on my other browser starts showing me adverts for that product.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Dec 10, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Just using a different YouTube account is likely to avert significant damage to the suggestions of your main account. I have 5 YouTube accounts; they all show suggestions of different types.

Baran Keki

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 10, 2021

I'm not tech savvy and I mostly translate stuff I find interesting personally. If I have to view a video of something that's not interesting to me personally, I then feel "obliged" to watch a good dozen videos of my favourite artists just to keep the algorithm cued into my true interests. I find the algorithm doesn't have a very long memory, so that's usually enough - as well as being thoroughly enjoyable.

Christopher Schröder

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Private navigation mode/Google Ad settings/Unhook Dec 10, 2021

You can use a private navigation window or turn off/adjust ad personalization (for the duration of the viewing).

https://adssettings.google.com

For YouTube specifically, I recommend the Unhook Chrome extension (hide all suggestions,
... See more
You can use a private navigation window or turn off/adjust ad personalization (for the duration of the viewing).

https://adssettings.google.com

For YouTube specifically, I recommend the Unhook Chrome extension (hide all suggestions, comments,.etc.):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unhook-remove-youtube-rec/khncfooichmfjbepaaaebmommgaepoid?hl=en

[Edited at 2021-12-10 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

Recep Kurt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to watch crap on YouTube for jobs: is logging out enough to keep it from thinking I like that?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »