BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 10:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 15, 2017

Hello,

I recently switched to using a master term base hosted in the Language Terminal, so that my partner and I can add terms to a shared online TB that instantly updates the terms to the other person (making it an alternative to paying for memoQ server), rather than having to share local TBs back and forth to keep things up-to-date. However, since then, every confirm I make to a segment now freezes memoQ for about 1 second. This corresponds to a loss of about 16 minutes of my time
... See more
Hello,

I recently switched to using a master term base hosted in the Language Terminal, so that my partner and I can add terms to a shared online TB that instantly updates the terms to the other person (making it an alternative to paying for memoQ server), rather than having to share local TBs back and forth to keep things up-to-date. However, since then, every confirm I make to a segment now freezes memoQ for about 1 second. This corresponds to a loss of about 16 minutes of my time every 1000 confirmed segments. If I add a second LT TB, the delay increases to an unacceptable 3 seconds. The same thing happens on my partner's computer.

Since we are located in Brazil, far away from Europe, I'm thinking this issue is caused by network latency between us and Kilgray's Language Terminal server (presumably located in Hungary). If people located in Europe don't get this delay, but people from other continents do, this hypothesis would be confirmed. Would you guys help me test this?

The testing process should take around 3 minutes. Here are the instructions:

1- Create two TBs in the following Language Terminal page: https://app.languageterminal.com/tbsharing. You must create a LT account if you don't have one.

2- Add some terms to it by exporting one of your existing TBs to a (.csv) file from within memoQ and importing it to the Language Terminal TBs you just created.

3- Open memoQ's termbase screen within a project and select Language Terminal in the bar where it normally says "My Computer" in the top-right. Change it to Language Terminal (you may have to click "manage logins" and log in with your LT login info, I'm not sure). Then click the little checkmark icon beside that box. The two online TB should appear in yellow in the list. Select both. Make sure one of them is set as the target for new terms (name will be in bold).

4- Open a document and confirm some segments with Ctrl + Enter, one at a time. It shouldn't matter if they have already been confirmed. Observe how long is the delay you get, if any.

5- Report duration of delay and your country here. This will help Kilgray diagnose the issue.

Many thanks!

Eric

[Edited at 2017-11-15 19:43 GMT]
Collapse

Marcus König
Marcus König  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:48
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Germany, duration of delay < 500 ms Nov 16, 2017

Hi Eric,

I did as you requested and this is what I can report:

Two LT TBs selected, one of which had 4 entries, the other 97
Delay: Very short delay (certainly < 500 ms); note this is not different from working with local resources and it wouldn't have any significant impact on my work.
Hope this helps.

Abraço!
Marcus

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 10:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
results lookup delay Nov 16, 2017

Very short delay (certainly < 500 ms); note this is not different from working with local resources

Thank you very much! This reminds me that you can eliminate the "delay for looking up results" by double-clicking the eye icon in the translation results pane and changing the last option in the window that comes up. I have no freaking clue why there is a 500 ms default delay for this.

My Russian friend also reports no significant delay, so now ideally I need someone from another continent to test.

[Edited at 2017-11-16 12:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need volunteers to help test a bug so that Kilgray can fix it

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »