Helle Gylling
Helle Gylling  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:22
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2013

Hi

I have memoQ 2013 (updates automatically) that I put on a new computer with Windows 8 a few weeks ago. I have Microsoft Office 2007.

I discovered that I can't seem to import Word 97-2003 files into memoQ. When I try to import, all I get is the "Examining source files" window. There is no progress at all and it locks up memoQ so that it is 100% unresponsive. There is no error message. All I can do is get Task Manager to End Task.

I can import some of thos
... See more
Hi

I have memoQ 2013 (updates automatically) that I put on a new computer with Windows 8 a few weeks ago. I have Microsoft Office 2007.

I discovered that I can't seem to import Word 97-2003 files into memoQ. When I try to import, all I get is the "Examining source files" window. There is no progress at all and it locks up memoQ so that it is 100% unresponsive. There is no error message. All I can do is get Task Manager to End Task.

I can import some of those Word files to memoQ on my laptop which has Windows 7, but not all of them. Seems to be hit and miss on that computer.

I contacted memoQ support and a guy has tried to help but after 3 days of emailing back and forth and him working on my computer remotely - he doesn't know what to do. He thinks maybe it is the AcerCloud Word app and wants to uninstall it but from what I've read, that app is necessary if I want to use the cloud. And it can't be that all new Acer computers are incompatible with memoQ?

Seems the techie is out of ideas, which means I am left with the problem of not being able to use memoQ for .doc files. I really love using memoQ as much as possible and since I have clients who still use the older Word or have older files needing translation, I would very much like to be able to import them as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Helle
Collapse

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
Local time: 17:22
French to Dutch
+ ...
Save them as .docx files Oct 21, 2013

Suggestion, save the files beforehand in Word 2007-2010 (as .docx) before loading them in your CAT, and after translation save them back in the old format, but only if needed.
I have the same problem sometimes with Studio. (I use Word 2010 and Win 8).

Helle Gylling
United States
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 21, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it before and it works - but I am concerned because I always get the warning that that will change the formatting. I don't want to return a document with different formatting to the client - if I can help it.

I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem with Studio - I was going to try their trial version to see if Trados would handle the files better but I guess not.

Helle

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Use the "Aspose" filter Oct 22, 2013

Hi Helle,

I can understand your concern about changing the format a little. Why not try importing these files using the Aspose filter? See the online help documentation for details: http://kilgray.com/memoq/62/help-en/index.html and key in "Aspose".

That page says: "Importing the MS Office formats DOC, XLS and PPT means that memoQ needs to ask the MS Office applic
... See more
Hi Helle,

I can understand your concern about changing the format a little. Why not try importing these files using the Aspose filter? See the online help documentation for details: http://kilgray.com/memoq/62/help-en/index.html and key in "Aspose".

That page says: "Importing the MS Office formats DOC, XLS and PPT means that memoQ needs to ask the MS Office applications to re-save the DOC/XLS/PPT files to RTF/DOCX/PPTX/XLSX, or to use Interop for the import.

Aspose does the conversion between the old MS Office formats (DOC, XLS and PPT) and the new OpenXML ones (DOCX, XLSX, PPTX) without relying on MS Office. You do not need to have MS Office installed anymore to import MS Office file formats.

Aspose also creates the HTML preview for these formats."

The filter does involve file conversion, but perhaps it will work better than the doc > docx route.

Regards

Carl
Collapse

info@glpartner
info@glpartner
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem with the newest version memoQ 2013 R2 Oct 24, 2013

We have the same problem with the newest version memoQ 2013 R2 on our new Acer PC with Windows 8 and Office 2013.
The Aspose filter or saving Word 2007-2010 as .docx before loading in your CAT are good suggestions but a long process when handling multiple projects.

We hope MemoQ finds a better solution.

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
New issues with memoQ due to Microsoft's own new products? Oct 24, 2013

info@glpartner wrote:

We have the same problem with the newest version memoQ 2013 R2 on our new Acer PC with Windows 8 and Office 2013.

Hi,

Well, you're now talking about the beta version of memoQ 2013, which has only just been made a public release, so there are still likely to be a few bugs in it, judging by past betas. You can always "go back" to "R1" (aka 6.5.14), which works relatively smoothly.

Apart from that, it seems there have been some issues with Windows 8 and memoQ, and with Word 2013 and memoQ as well (see the memoQ group at Yahoo!), so it seems it's Microsoft's fault.

To find out how to sort these issues out, I'd advise you to check out Kilgray's Knowledge Base at http://kb.kilgray.com/ (e.g. http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00549/0/Windows-8.1:-memoQ-hangs-during-startup.html) and get in touch with Support if you're still having trouble.

Regards

Carl

Helle Gylling
United States
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply from memoQ Oct 25, 2013

I received an email from memoQ saying that the problem is with them and they will fix it in the next release of memoQ - or the one after that. So until then, Aspose seems to be the solution.

Helle

AVrhlst
AVrhlst
English to Dutch
Related problem with bilingual .doc files Jan 10, 2014

I had the same problem with my new pc (Acer, Windows 8, Office 2013, MemoQ 2013, 6.5.18) and the Aspose filter worked fine.

This week I had a similar problem with importing bilingual .DOC files for proofreading, that had been translated in Trados. I used 'Import with options', but got an error message. Kilgray's Helpdesk could not help me and reinstalling Office (as was suggested) did not help either.

Does anyone recognize this?

Tx,

Annelies

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't import Word 97-2003 files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »