skport  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 06:36
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
May 15, 2006

Hello,

I am using Open Office 1.1.2

I am trying to spellcheck a document originally created in Word in Spanish and I am now trying to spell check in English. The spell checker is not working in either of the two languages. I have checked that my document's default language is English but it still does not work.

Can anybody tell me how to override the option created in Word which is something like 'do not check highlighted text'? I have a feeling that this o
... See more
Hello,

I am using Open Office 1.1.2

I am trying to spellcheck a document originally created in Word in Spanish and I am now trying to spell check in English. The spell checker is not working in either of the two languages. I have checked that my document's default language is English but it still does not work.

Can anybody tell me how to override the option created in Word which is something like 'do not check highlighted text'? I have a feeling that this option was applied to my document and I cannot untick it as I do not have Word.

If not, any suggestions of how to get the spellchecker to work on my text would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Sarah
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 11:36
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Save in .rtf May 15, 2006

Hi Sarah,

sometimes, you can 'un-Word' a document by saving it as an .rtf file and then converting it to an Open Office doc.
If you don't have oodles of formats, saving as a .txt file is radical but very effective.

skport
skport  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 06:36
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
thanks/solution May 15, 2006

Thanks for your quick reply.

It turned out that the Word thing was the problem after all, contrary to what I had thought, but thankfully I worked out how to get the spellchecker to work on my document:

I had changed all my defaults to UK English and was stumped as to why it would not work, then I realised that the deafult language in the 'fonts' list was set to Australian English, which I do not have installed, so it was not working. I had not noticed because I think my
... See more
Thanks for your quick reply.

It turned out that the Word thing was the problem after all, contrary to what I had thought, but thankfully I worked out how to get the spellchecker to work on my document:

I had changed all my defaults to UK English and was stumped as to why it would not work, then I realised that the deafult language in the 'fonts' list was set to Australian English, which I do not have installed, so it was not working. I had not noticed because I think my brain had only taken in the word 'English'. I now see that there are 12 different 'English' options on OO, which is cool.

Thanks for the tip about saving things in rtf or open office formats.

Have a good evening.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spellcheck options in Open Office for doc created in MS Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »