Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 14:36
tcheco para alemão
+ ...
Apr 29, 2006

Hi all,

I've never used OpenOffice before and as my Word did not want to do anything a few days ago I decided to give it a try. Everything was fine but for my work I had to download a form with pictures on it and a black bar where something is written in white characters (I had done that several times before and so knew from Word what it looks like) - and there was only a white space and a black bar... I looked up Help but could not find anything - does anyone of you happen to know
... See more
Hi all,

I've never used OpenOffice before and as my Word did not want to do anything a few days ago I decided to give it a try. Everything was fine but for my work I had to download a form with pictures on it and a black bar where something is written in white characters (I had done that several times before and so knew from Word what it looks like) - and there was only a white space and a black bar... I looked up Help but could not find anything - does anyone of you happen to know what to do to make those things visible?

And one more problem: I had to copy my text to this form (it has three columns) and the translation had to look exactly the same. This is no problem with Word but with OO it looked quite strange, probably because OO did not copy the small pictures which came along with the text and which should have appeared between the paragraphs.

I'd be very grateful for any help (indeed, I'm thinking of giving up MS but really do need some hints)!

Charlotte
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
Reino Unido
Local time: 13:36
alemão para inglês
+ ...
More information Apr 29, 2006

The conversion from Word to OpenOffice Writer is not always perfect but I think you will need to give more information.

I can open:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/its/blackboard/instructor/docs/handouts/bb_word2001macToHtml.doc

for instance, in Writer and see the white text on black background and the im
... See more
The conversion from Word to OpenOffice Writer is not always perfect but I think you will need to give more information.

I can open:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/its/blackboard/instructor/docs/handouts/bb_word2001macToHtml.doc

for instance, in Writer and see the white text on black background and the images.

If you want to see if OpenOffice Writer has downloaded the images, save the document as .odt in its own folder, change the .odt to .zip and unzip the file. You should find the pictures in a folder called "Pictures".

Other Help sites:

http://www.oooforum.org/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OOo4trans/
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Alemanha
tcheco para alemão
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thanks! May 1, 2006

Hi Robert,

thank you very much for your help! I just downloaded the page you mentionned and really see all the images and black bars with white script - but strange enough, on my own form now only the pictures and bars appear, but no white text in them.

I could not try your other hint yet (zipping the doc) but will see if I'll get the file I need tomorrow.

As for the groups, I'll be sure to have a look!

Charlotte

What more
... See more
Hi Robert,

thank you very much for your help! I just downloaded the page you mentionned and really see all the images and black bars with white script - but strange enough, on my own form now only the pictures and bars appear, but no white text in them.

I could not try your other hint yet (zipping the doc) but will see if I'll get the file I need tomorrow.

As for the groups, I'll be sure to have a look!

Charlotte

What more information do you need?

[Edited at 2006-05-01 12:35]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
Reino Unido
alemão para inglês
+ ...
As much as possible May 1, 2006

It would really be best if you could upload a file that has the problem (maybe rearrange the layout and change the text to rubbish in the original, if you can use Word) to one of the free file hosting sites, e.g.

www.gimehost.com

and provide a link to it.

I doubt it is the problem, but it might just be worth checking what fonts are used in the document and what fonts are ava
... See more
It would really be best if you could upload a file that has the problem (maybe rearrange the layout and change the text to rubbish in the original, if you can use Word) to one of the free file hosting sites, e.g.

www.gimehost.com

and provide a link to it.

I doubt it is the problem, but it might just be worth checking what fonts are used in the document and what fonts are available to OpenOffice.

[Edited at 2006-05-01 16:10]
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Alemanha
tcheco para alemão
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Here they are: May 1, 2006

http://s2.gimehost.com/v/8188338/1146508446295.doc.html

http://s2.gimehost.com/v/5216222/1146508622770.tam%202704%20oo.html

Hi Robert,

many thanks for your concern! I just saved the doc in OO and as you can see, both
... See more
http://s2.gimehost.com/v/8188338/1146508446295.doc.html

http://s2.gimehost.com/v/5216222/1146508622770.tam%202704%20oo.html

Hi Robert,

many thanks for your concern! I just saved the doc in OO and as you can see, both files are quite different - though the Word-file was OK. In OO, there are even changes in length and on the 2nd page the headline is wrong. Unfortunately, the form has to look exactly as it does in Word so what could I do to get it right in OO?

Charlotte

PS: BTW, do you happen to know how to delete the files from gimehost? I did not find anything about this on their website.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
Reino Unido
alemão para inglês
+ ...
PDF May 1, 2006

Hello Charlotte

You will have to tell me what's wrong. Apart from the justification spreading words out too much on some lines I can't see much obviously adrift.

Here I've exported the file as PDF from OpenOffice:

http://s2.gimehost.com/v/5197283/1146510789829.pdf.html

Charlotte Blank wrote:
PS: BTW, do you happen to know how to delete the files from gimehost? I did not find anything about this on their website.

I don't know either - perhaps they just leave them and if the file hasn't been downloaded for so long they eventually delete them.

Robert

[Edited at 2006-05-01 21:29]

I'd just made the post when I noticed the heading of the table "KRONENWECHSELKURSE" needs to be moved up from the bottom of the first column on the second page to the top of the second column.

[Edited at 2006-05-01 21:31]

Charlotte Blank
Alemanha
tcheco para alemão
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Unfortunately... May 2, 2006

You will have to tell me what's wrong. Apart from the justification spreading words out too much on some lines I can't see much obviously adrift.

Unfortunately there are a few things which my boss would not accept if I delivered it like this

- First of all, there is nothing in that black bar and above (date and weather).
- There is a space between the bar and the text (with little vertical lines) which should not be there.
- On the second page, there are the (wrong) date in English and "Czech A.M." instead of the German text and again that strange space above the text.

I'd just made the post when I noticed the heading of the table "KRONENWECHSELKURSE" needs to be moved up from the bottom of the first column on the second page to the top of the second column.

[Edited at 2006-05-01 21:31]

When you put the table correctly, the end of the text will go to the 3rd page which must not happen because the whole thing must not have more than 2 pages...

I only have a rather short time to get all this "DTP'ing" ready in the morning so after this experience with OO, I'm afraid I'll have to stick to M$, at least as far as it concerns this job But nevertheless, thank you very much indeed for your input!

Charlotte

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
Reino Unido
alemão para inglês
+ ...
Ahh..! May 2, 2006

Without Microsoft Office or a PDF of the original it wasn't really possible for me to see what was different.

OpenOffice has actually placed the text "WETTERVORHERSAGE: BEDECKT MIT REGEN, 19 – 23 °C" and "Donnerstag, 27. April 2006" in two frames with no fill and white text. I don't fully understand the working or intended working of these two frames and the solid black frame – obviously not as required on this occasion.

I think the little vertical lines may have s
... See more
Without Microsoft Office or a PDF of the original it wasn't really possible for me to see what was different.

OpenOffice has actually placed the text "WETTERVORHERSAGE: BEDECKT MIT REGEN, 19 – 23 °C" and "Donnerstag, 27. April 2006" in two frames with no fill and white text. I don't fully understand the working or intended working of these two frames and the solid black frame – obviously not as required on this occasion.

I think the little vertical lines may have something to do with column headers.

I can't imagine how OpenOffice has changed the language of the date on the second page or inserted "Czech A.M." – even if the language setting for the document were (changed to) English.

I didn't seem to have any trouble correcting the table on page two without creating a third page.

Since OpenOffice is quite capable of creating highly complex documents, one possibly hopes that more people will use it to create their documents in the first place. Its ability to convert Word documents will then, of course, become secondary.

Robert

[Edited at 2006-05-03 09:05]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pictures in OpenOffice Writer?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »