Thread poster: LJC (X)
LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 10:43
French to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2003

I had this problem a couple of days ago when the screen suddenly went pink. Everything was there on the screen as it should have been, but all in various shades of pink. I tried restoring the system, but that didn't do anything, so I then defragmented, and that brought it back to normal.

Well it's done it again and this time the defragmentation hasn't changed anything, it's still all pink. Now I've nothing against pink, but it's very difficult to work with and it's straining my e
... See more
I had this problem a couple of days ago when the screen suddenly went pink. Everything was there on the screen as it should have been, but all in various shades of pink. I tried restoring the system, but that didn't do anything, so I then defragmented, and that brought it back to normal.

Well it's done it again and this time the defragmentation hasn't changed anything, it's still all pink. Now I've nothing against pink, but it's very difficult to work with and it's straining my eyes.

Has anyone got any ideas how to get my normal colours back? I'm using Windows XP Home, the computor is only a few months old and Norton antivirus is up to date.

Thanks for any help.

Lesley
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:43
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Guarantee Jul 31, 2003

Maybe there's something wrong with the monitor or the video card. Try the guarantee in the first place.

Good luck!
Andrea

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I'd try to push the plug Jul 31, 2003

Look like there the pins responsible for some colors do not contact. If you have another cable, try it (may be the problem with a plug itself).

The defrag cured it rather by accident.

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Time to buy a new screen,... Jul 31, 2003

From what I read in your posting, it looks like you will have to spend some money on a new screen soon. Or continue to see things pink.

19" screens are available for as little as 139 € nowadays. Do not try to have your old screen repaired, buy a new one. Buy a flatscreen if you can. They are better for your eyes.

Advertise your 'pink' screen. I know of persons who would buy a screen like that. Do mention the color in the ad. (c: Only kiddin'

Chee
... See more
From what I read in your posting, it looks like you will have to spend some money on a new screen soon. Or continue to see things pink.

19" screens are available for as little as 139 € nowadays. Do not try to have your old screen repaired, buy a new one. Buy a flatscreen if you can. They are better for your eyes.

Advertise your 'pink' screen. I know of persons who would buy a screen like that. Do mention the color in the ad. (c: Only kiddin'

Cheers et salut,
Tvd
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's the monitor Jul 31, 2003

Thank you Andrea, you've steered me in the right direction.

The new computer did not come with a monitor (special offer) so I've been using the old computer's monitor. I've just connected the monitor to the old computer and it's still pink, so it's definitely the monitor that's playing up.

Thanks a lot,
Lesley

Andrea Ali wrote:

Maybe there's something wrong with the monitor or the video card. Try the guarantee in the first place.

Good luck!
Andrea

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
French to English
+ ...
Try degauss, but probably monitor is failing Jul 31, 2003

I agree with Andrea and TVD. This is usually a sign a monitor about to fail. If it is over 3 yrs. old, it is not worth repairing, get a new one. You can try "degauss" if it is available for your monitor (usually a button on the monitor, or a choice in a menu you can make the monitor display using a button on your monitor). However "degauss" may only help a dying monitor last a little longer. If you find no "degauss" choice, it may help to turn off the monitor itself (or unplug) and turn it ... See more
I agree with Andrea and TVD. This is usually a sign a monitor about to fail. If it is over 3 yrs. old, it is not worth repairing, get a new one. You can try "degauss" if it is available for your monitor (usually a button on the monitor, or a choice in a menu you can make the monitor display using a button on your monitor). However "degauss" may only help a dying monitor last a little longer. If you find no "degauss" choice, it may help to turn off the monitor itself (or unplug) and turn it back on after a few minutes, but again this is usually only a temporary fix. I don't think it is your video card if you are getting a display (even a pink display!).Collapse

mezacc
mezacc  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Video/graphics card connection?? Jul 31, 2003

[quote]Lesley Clayton wrote:

I had this problem a couple of days ago when the screen suddenly went pink. Everything was there on the screen as it should have been, but all in various shades of pink.

Sometimes we miss the obvious: did you double-check the cable running from the back of your monitor to the back of your computer? That's where it plugs into the graphics card and the connection might have loosened during the last couple months. Or mabye the graphics card itself is no longer sitting tight enough inside of your computer. Should this be the case (and since your computer's still new) bring it back to have it checked. Worst case scenario (based on this situation) would be maybe a new video card (approx. 250 EUR depending on what you get/need), which should be covered.

Good luck!

Mike

mezacc
mezacc  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I hope you're wrong... :-) Jul 31, 2003

it helped with my old computer and the screen still survived a long time afterwards (probably still works). It would be the "easiest" problem to solve.

Carolyn Denoncourt wrote:

I don't think it is your video card if you are getting a display (even a pink display!).

Diogo Santos
Diogo Santos
Local time: 09:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Guarantee Aug 1, 2003

I had the same problem with a Philips monitor. It was during the guarantee period and they fixed it, unfortunately, after some days it gone pink again. I protested and they gave me a new one!

Protest and use your guarantee!!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Mine too Aug 1, 2003

I have one like that too. (Yes, really.) It's on the only Windows machine in my office. It's very useful as it gives me a rose-tinted view of Windows. (All my other machines are running Linux, of course.)

The video card is unlikely to be the problem.

If your monitor is no longer under warranty, try giving it a good WHACK! on the side - that may fix it. Otherwise, call the manufacturer. He will probably tell you to give it a good WHACK! on the side. He may also have a re
... See more
I have one like that too. (Yes, really.) It's on the only Windows machine in my office. It's very useful as it gives me a rose-tinted view of Windows. (All my other machines are running Linux, of course.)

The video card is unlikely to be the problem.

If your monitor is no longer under warranty, try giving it a good WHACK! on the side - that may fix it. Otherwise, call the manufacturer. He will probably tell you to give it a good WHACK! on the side. He may also have a reconditioning scheme. Iiyama, the manufacturer of my pink monitor, offered to repair any 17" Iiyama monitor for a flat rate of 100 Euros, including collection and delivery. With new 17" screens available for as little as that, I decided it wasn't worth it, but if your monitor is a particularly good model I suppose it might be.

I'm not sure whether Thijs is kidding or not, but don't throw the screen away. A pink screen does have its uses (apart from the above). The main reason I still have a Windows machine at all is because I have an ancient scanner attached to it, with dedicated driver card installed. I don't need full colour just to scan images in, so pink is just fine. And when I finally do get round to selling the PC (anyone interested in a P1 133 MHz, 32 MB, 2 GB, ISDN card, scanner, Windows 95, Cologne area)?, I can prove that it works by giving the screen away with it.

If you buy a new monitor, unless it's a really cheap one, try to get a 3-year warranty.

Marc
Collapse

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Check the cable Aug 1, 2003

Hello,

sometimes there is a problem with the cable.

Check this

Hans

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
controlled experiment Aug 1, 2003

Yes, it's probably the monitor, but if you want to be completely sure, borrow (if you can) a (working!) monitor from your neighbour/child/parent/somebody and plug it in. If it's fine, then you'll know. If the video card went bad, you'd probably get no picture at all.

Two other points:
1. you're sure this is not one of Bill Gates' funky Windows themes?
2. Like Thijs said - splurge, if you can afford it, on a
... See more
Yes, it's probably the monitor, but if you want to be completely sure, borrow (if you can) a (working!) monitor from your neighbour/child/parent/somebody and plug it in. If it's fine, then you'll know. If the video card went bad, you'd probably get no picture at all.

Two other points:
1. you're sure this is not one of Bill Gates' funky Windows themes?
2. Like Thijs said - splurge, if you can afford it, on a 19" flat screen monitor. You'll be amazed how you managed without it for so long
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is the monitor Aug 1, 2003

The new computer came without a monitor (special offer) so I have been using the one from the old computer. After reading your messages I plugged in the old computer and everything was still pink, so it's definitely the monitor dying.

Thanks for the tips, Carolyn, but I don't seem to have a "degauss" facility and switching it off doesn't change anything. (Maybe it's the 7 years' worth of dust inside!)

Thank you Andrea, Tvd and Carolyn, I'm now off to do some shopping.<
... See more
The new computer came without a monitor (special offer) so I have been using the one from the old computer. After reading your messages I plugged in the old computer and everything was still pink, so it's definitely the monitor dying.

Thanks for the tips, Carolyn, but I don't seem to have a "degauss" facility and switching it off doesn't change anything. (Maybe it's the 7 years' worth of dust inside!)

Thank you Andrea, Tvd and Carolyn, I'm now off to do some shopping.

Lesley
Collapse

Christopher Schmidt
Christopher Schmidt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
German to English
+ ...
laptop? Aug 1, 2003

I had a similar problem with a Dell laptop a couple years ago (Inspirion 5000). The cable which connects the computer to the monitor had become loose which resulted in everything being displayed in yellow. If you've got a regular CRT, though, I agree with those who say you're monitor is on the way out.

cs

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll keep it Aug 1, 2003

[quote]MarcPrior wrote:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a pink view of things.

If your monitor is no longer under warranty, try giving it a good WHACK! on the side - that may fix it. Otherwise, call the manufacturer. He will probably tell you to give it a good WHACK! on the side.

I'll try that AFTER I've got a new monitor. That way I won't be left with nothing if the whack kills it.

He may also have a reconditioning scheme. Iiyama, the manufacturer of my pink monitor, offered to repair any 17" Iiyama monitor for a flat rate of 100 Euros, including collection and delivery. With new 17" screens available for as little as that, I decided it wasn't worth it, but if your monitor is a particularly good model I suppose it might be.

I'm not sure whether Thijs is kidding or not, but don't throw the screen away. A pink screen does have its uses (apart from the above).

It's not worth repairing, but if it continues to work like yours does, then I'll keep it for the old computer (which I intend to use as a back-up when it's been formatted).

Thank you everyone.

Lesley

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Everything's gone pink (monitor)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »