Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: What brings out the Tommy Lee Translator in you?
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:54
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
More goodies Jul 22, 2013

- PM: "I noticed that the source text contains five (5) sentences in this paragraph. Your translation contains six (6) sentences. Could you please fix your error before we forward the translation to our client?"

- PM: "Could you please translate the street names in this map for the city of Denver, Colorado? We don't want our visitors from Germany to get lost."

- Note from a typesetter (who does not speak the target language): "I noticed that you forgot to copy the punct
... See more
- PM: "I noticed that the source text contains five (5) sentences in this paragraph. Your translation contains six (6) sentences. Could you please fix your error before we forward the translation to our client?"

- PM: "Could you please translate the street names in this map for the city of Denver, Colorado? We don't want our visitors from Germany to get lost."

- Note from a typesetter (who does not speak the target language): "I noticed that you forgot to copy the punctuation of the original text into your translation. The original headlines ends with "...", your translation ends with an exclamation point. I fixed this error for you."

Ulcers, ulcers, ulcers...
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
DTP has 'corrected' your translation Jul 22, 2013

[For a translation from an inflected source language that uses case endings, into English:]

PM: You made many errors in this translation. Almost all of the personal and place names are misspelled because the English version is not identical to the spelling in the source language. Fortunately, our alert DTP people caught this and made the appropriate corrections. Please be more careful in the future.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You do realize that in our profession we save a fortune on entertainment expenses, right? Jul 22, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

[For a translation from an inflected source language that uses case endings, into English:]

PM: You made many errors in this translation. Almost all of the personal and place names are misspelled because the English version is not identical to the spelling in the source language. Fortunately, our alert DTP people caught this and made the appropriate corrections. Please be more careful in the future.

We never have to spend a single cent on cabaret, stand-up comedy shows, and we don't even have to read the funnies in our daily paper for entertainment. We've got it all in our mail box...

David Friemann, MA
David Friemann, MA  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:54
Member (2013)
English to German
haha Jul 23, 2013

po2tersowl wrote:

A doctor comes with a done diploma.
"My English is perfect. I speak at seminars, you know. I have translated my diploma myself, no big deal, but I need your statement and stamp to certify the translation."

I am staring at the paper deciding on the wisest approach to this "challenge" when a weird phrase pops out: "... This Diploma was SEDUCED under No. XXXX ..."

The point is that in my language we have the same word for "seduce" and "enter into a book of records"

[Edited at 2013-02-19 08:16 GMT]

this should make for some interesting visits to the local registrar's office...

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
To laugh or cry, that is the question... Jul 24, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

We never have to spend a single cent on cabaret, stand-up comedy shows, and we don't even have to read the funnies in our daily paper for entertainment. We've got it all in our mail box...

I've got a zillion of 'em!

PM [after receiving my proof of a nearly flawless translation]: "It is not possible for any translation of this length to have so few errors. Please take another look at the text and find some more things to correct."

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Whenever I think I've heard everything... Jul 24, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

To laugh or cry, that is the question...

I've got a zillion of 'em!

PM [after receiving my proof of a nearly flawless translation]: "It is not possible for any translation of this length to have so few errors. Please take another look at the text and find some more things to correct."

I had editors who apologized to the PM because they couldn't find anything and who begged the PM to please not think that they did a sloppy job, but to hear this from a PM takes the cake.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:54
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sigh Jul 25, 2013

I had some good answers to the question asked in the title of this thread until I clicked the link and realized that it wasn't about this guy:

You can imagine my disappointment.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What brings out the Tommy Lee Translator in you?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »