Newbie questions
Tópico cartaz: John Detre
John Detre
John Detre  Identity Verified
Canadá
francês para inglês
Jul 28, 2013

I'm considering buying Déjà Vu and I'm wondering about a few things.

- Is it possible to translate just parts of a file in Déjà Vu or do you have to complete the entire translation before you can export it back to Word, as with, for example, MemoQ?
- If a sentence is identical to a sentence in the translation memory except for, say, a date and a number, can Déjà Vu translate it with the appropriate changes or would I have to enter them manually? If so, can it be set up t
... See more

- Is it possible to translate just parts of a file in Déjà Vu or do you have to complete the entire translation before you can export it back to Word, as with, for example, MemoQ?
- If a sentence is identical to a sentence in the translation memory except for, say, a date and a number, can Déjà Vu translate it with the appropriate changes or would I have to enter them manually? If so, can it be set up to translate dates and numbers according to a specified format? e.g. translate 25,0 M$ as $25.0 million?
- Is it possible to prioritize the files within a translation memory? i.e. tell Déjà Vu to use the matches from a given source before the matches from another source?
- Is it possible to share Déjà Vu results with colleagues who do not have Déjà Vu? Does Déjà Vu offer a free or cheap utility or toolbar that lets non-owners work with Déjà Vu-generated files at a basic level, like SDLx or the Logiterm toolbar?
- If I wanted to install Déjà Vu on my desktop and my laptop, would I have to buy two licences?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2013-07-28 06:32 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
francês para polonês
+ ...
Varia... Jul 28, 2013

John Detre wrote:

Basically, DVX works as memoQ here.
Some files wih h empty rows can be exported but generally they should be populated.
You can simply copy source to target (globally, e.g. using the Pseudotranslate command) and export the file (it works both in mQ and in DVX).
Generally, independently f the CAT tool, it's a good practice to test the export as soon as possible, so I always pretranslate or pseudotranslate my jobs.

- If a sentence is identical to a sentence in the translation memory except for, say, a date and a number, can Déjà Vu translate it with the appropriate changes or would I have to enter them manually?

Usually yes but in some more complex scenarios the algorithm may be fooled.

If so, can it be set up to translate dates and numbers according to a specified format? e.g. translate 25,0 M$ as $25.0 million?

No, this kind of substitution is impossible unless a similar TU exist in the TM.
This feature is available in mQ.

- Is it possible to prioritize the files within a translation memory? i.e. tell Déjà Vu to use the matches from a given source before the matches from another source?

You can:
- sort the TMs according to their relevance (optionally, see Tools, Options);
- assign penalties to TMs;
- prioritize matches within a TM using subcategorization (easy, during the project setup, you can specify the domain and the customer). the hits for this domain/customer are preferred if the match rate is the same.
The subcategorization is one of the biggest DVX advantages, especially for people who use heavily the AutoAssemble feature (as me).

- Is it possible to share Déjà Vu results with colleagues who do not have Déjà Vu? Does Déjà Vu offer a free or cheap utility or toolbar that lets non-owners work with Déjà Vu-generated files at a basic level, like SDLx or the Logiterm toolbar?

The so called DVX Editor (free of charge) can process files created with DVX Workgroup.
It's also possible to export the files as "External View" (different formats are available, some of them e.g. XLIFF are available only in the DVX Workgroup version).
I.e., if you share your wok with other people, DVX Workgroup is clearly better.

- If I wanted to install Déjà Vu on my desktop and my laptop, would I have to buy two licences?

No.
By default, two activations are possible if you select the "electronic" licensing.
BTW, DVX is one of few tools which still offer dongle protection I prefer.
I.e., in this case, you can install it on an unlimited number of machines and simply put the dongle

BTW, you can run multiple DVX instances on one machine and, if necessary, open the same project/file in multiple instances.
In this way, you can e.g. simultaneously translate and pretranslate the project (or translate and export etc.).
It can also be done on several machines (on the LAN), it's very easy to work in a small team.

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turquia
Local time: 12:46
inglês para turco
+ ...
some answers Jul 28, 2013

Hi John,

John Detre wrote:

Two answers to this question.
1. Yes. If file is already imported, you can translate required parts (segments) and "copy source to target" other segments which do not require translation and then export. [You can use segment selector drop-down box (which by default displays "All Segments") to filter "All Empty Segments", then simply press F5 to "copy source to target". Do not forget to go back to "All Segments" view.]
2. Yes. You can pre-edit in some file types to mark parts of the file as untranslatable, e.g. in Word you can select some parts and change formatting to hidden and when importing into DVX2 mark do not import hidden text. Or in Excel, you can paint certain cells, rows or columns with red colour.

- If a sentence is identical to a sentence in the translation memory except for, say, a date and a number, can Déjà Vu translate it with the appropriate changes or would I have to enter them manually? If so, can it be set up to translate dates and numbers according to a specified format? e.g. translate 25,0 M$ as $25.0 million?

Yes, DVX2 "repairs" such matches. But make sure that your TM is not polluted with different translations. For example if your TM includes both
25,0 M$ = $25.0 million
25,0 M$ = 25,0 M$
then you can see repaired translations such as M$25.0 million! So try to be consistent when translating numbers.

A unique feature in DVX2 is prioritization of matches based on Client and Subject metadata, e.g. if you are translating a project for client XYZ translations with subject 687 (clothing industry, garment manufacture, beauty culture) matches from your Translation Memory / TermBase with the same metadata will have priority. Moreover, you can use a project/client specific glossary called Lexicon (which is another unique feature in DVX).

DVX Editor can be used to translate satellite projects exported from WorkGroup version.
Word (RTF) external view (EV) files (in tabular format) can also be used to share projects (in both Professional and Workgroup versions).
Other available EV formats are Trados bilingual Word format and Xliff (AFAIK these are available only in Workgroup version)

Also check the Divide & Dispatch feature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GVqyfkaAk

You can install on both but you can not use them simultaneously as expected. I use a dongle so I can use DVX on any computer without asking for an electronic license activation.

HTH,

Selcuk

[Edited at 2013-07-28 12:13 GMT]

John Detre
Canadá
francês para inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Follow-up questions Jul 28, 2013

Thank you both for the very detailed and helpful answers.

A couple of follow-up questions:

If Déjà Vu cannot be set up to systematically translate dollar amounts according to a rule such as
25,0 M$ > $25.0 million, how would it handle that string, assuming there is no exact match for the specific number in the TM?

Given my questions, would either of you know if MQ would be more suitable for my needs, or would I be better off asking the same questio
... See more
Thank you both for the very detailed and helpful answers.

A couple of follow-up questions:

If Déjà Vu cannot be set up to systematically translate dollar amounts according to a rule such as
25,0 M$ > $25.0 million, how would it handle that string, assuming there is no exact match for the specific number in the TM?

Given my questions, would either of you know if MQ would be more suitable for my needs, or would I be better off asking the same questions in the MQ forum?

Thanks again!
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
francês para polonês
+ ...
Internal logic Jul 29, 2013

John Detre wrote:

Probably it would suggest 25.0 M$ (with a dot if the decimal conversion is allowed, see Tools, Options) but it's also possible it could create correct (or almost correct) translations if the TM contains a lot of entries containing similar chunks (DVX performs a statistical analysis of the TM and tries to guess the most suitable solution, usually it works well if the TM is homogeneous, as Selcuk said).

Given my questions, would either of you know if MQ would be more suitable for my needs, or would I be better off asking the same questions in the MQ forum?

Well, if your texts contain a lot of numerals like that, memoQ is more configurable (via Auto-translation rules you can freely define) and probably more suitable for your needs, the DVX logic is a black box you can't really adjust.
I.e. IMO the DVX black box works better for "linguistic" context (e.g. fuzzy match repairs, EBMT) but the way it handles the numerals is not perfect.
I.e. it works OK for standard numeral-unit sequences but your financial case is a little bit special.

IMO you should simply take a look on both tools and see if it works for you.
Nonetheless, you should create some termbases in DVX/mQ.
Unlike Trados, both tools rely heavily on termbases and you'll not be able to see their power if you have no termbases...
Few crucial terms you spot frequently will be enough for testing.

BTW, I often work in mixed mQ-DVX-mQ workflows, if permits to have the best of both approaches

Cheers
GG

John Detre
Canadá
francês para inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thanks a million! Jul 29, 2013

Much appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie questions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »