Wordfast Pro 4 impressions?
Thread poster: Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:36
Japanese to English
Jun 11, 2016

I have been using Wordfast Classic and Pro 3 for years now, and absolutely love how intuitive and quick they have been. I found out a few days ago that Wordfast Pro 4 finally saw its public release, so I downloaded it and have been messing around with it for the last few days.

It is definitely taking some getting used to. First, did WFP 4 completely do away with Text view in favor of Table view? There used to be tabs that let you switch between Text and Table views in WFP 3. Also, i
... See more
I have been using Wordfast Classic and Pro 3 for years now, and absolutely love how intuitive and quick they have been. I found out a few days ago that Wordfast Pro 4 finally saw its public release, so I downloaded it and have been messing around with it for the last few days.

It is definitely taking some getting used to. First, did WFP 4 completely do away with Text view in favor of Table view? There used to be tabs that let you switch between Text and Table views in WFP 3. Also, is there a way to do a target segment word count for the file(s) currently open? There didn't seem to be in WFP 3, but I’m wondering if they added that in 4?

Also, I would just like to hear people’s impressions of WFP 4—new features you like, things you’ve learned, etc.
Wondering if I should commit to making a full transition over from 3.
Collapse

Marguerite Storm
Marguerite Storm  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:36
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Nice so far Jul 1, 2016

Same here. I have been a Wordfast Pro fan for many years.
First look at WF4: I think the interface looks great, it's clear and modern looking. I like it. It kind of shows how outdated the design was for WF3.
Created a test project and it went fine (I did watch the 'first steps' video on youtube).
My first stumble was I couldn't connect to a remote TM provided by the client. (starting with gltm). In 3, it was easy to copy and paste it. Doesn't work here. But I admit I need to l
... See more
Same here. I have been a Wordfast Pro fan for many years.
First look at WF4: I think the interface looks great, it's clear and modern looking. I like it. It kind of shows how outdated the design was for WF3.
Created a test project and it went fine (I did watch the 'first steps' video on youtube).
My first stumble was I couldn't connect to a remote TM provided by the client. (starting with gltm). In 3, it was easy to copy and paste it. Doesn't work here. But I admit I need to learn a little more.
I give it a 9/10!
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:36
Member (2006)
French to English
Copy and paste Jul 11, 2016

My first stumble was I couldn't connect to a remote TM provided by the client. (starting with gltm). In 3, it was easy to copy and paste it. Doesn't work here. But I admit I need to learn a little more.
I give it a 9/10!

Hi Grite,

Sorry to hear you were having problems but thanks nevertheless for the high rating!

Did your client help you resolve the issue? Can you please let us know what version of WFP4 you are using and your operating system (OS)? This was problematic with early beta versions (4.4 and earlier), but I am fairly certain this was resolved.

Thanks in advance,

John

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:36
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
WF 3 and 4 license Jul 21, 2016

Hi,

I'm a (happy) WFP 3 user and I'd like to know if I can use my license to use WF 3 and 4 at the same time, or if I'd need to purchase another license to WF 4.

Thanks!

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Yes you can Jul 21, 2016

Luiz Barucke wrote:

Hi,

I'm a (happy) WFP 3 user and I'd like to know if I can use my license to use WF 3 and 4 at the same time, or if I'd need to purchase another license to WF 4.

Thanks!

Yes, you can!

Martine A-cou-lon
Martine A-cou-lon
Austria
English to French
+ ...
Text & table Nov 17, 2017

Hello, I have been trying to used the new Wf Pro. The interface learning is not a problem. I will get used to. However, i couldn't find how to switch between text & table.
I don't use WFP4 because "table" is not good for my eyes. After an hour or working with WFPro4, I get tired of switching between left and right and reverse to the old version.
Does it exist a solution toswitch again the view between text and table ?
Thanks
Martine

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Not yet Nov 17, 2017

Hi Martine,
Sorry but text view is not supported yet. BTW, have you downloaded version 5? You definitely should. I also recommend testing out Live Preview (under the File tab of the TXLF Editor).

Best,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 4 impressions?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »