Thread poster: Dmitry Kornyukhov
Dmitry Kornyukhov
Dmitry Kornyukhov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 27, 2017

Dear friends! You don't want to miss this new and very exciting interview series called #LocalizationMatters. In these interviews we invite startups of different size and caliber to share their localization journey with us.

This is super useful for us, translators, as it gives us a glimpse into how startups approach localization, what mistakes they make, how they choose their service providers, how it affects their sales and growth, and much more.

AND it is also very us
... See more
Dear friends! You don't want to miss this new and very exciting interview series called #LocalizationMatters. In these interviews we invite startups of different size and caliber to share their localization journey with us.

This is super useful for us, translators, as it gives us a glimpse into how startups approach localization, what mistakes they make, how they choose their service providers, how it affects their sales and growth, and much more.

AND it is also very useful for small and medium-sized companies who are new to localization because they can learn a great deal from it.

So, check out the interview below and MAKE SURE TO SHARE. More shares gives us more motivation to keep going and shows us that there's a great demand for this kind of content.

https://theopenmic.co/localization-matters-part-ulysses-development/
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ulysses Sep 28, 2017

Okay, so the first "interview" was with someone from the team developing Ulysses, an Apple app. The person interviewed isn't a developer, but the PR person.

We learn the following things:

The app (and its updates) is localised by a third party, namely an agency. Neither the agency nor any of its translators actually test any of the Ulysses translations before returning it to Ulysses (however, I gather that the agency does offer testing as an optional service). The Ulysses developers then check if the localisations appear to work, and then release the localisations as part of their usual beta versions, which are available to registered beta testers.

Dmitry Kornyukhov
Dmitry Kornyukhov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:02
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great summary Sep 28, 2017

Fantastic summary, Samuel! Well done 👍 A few other things worth mentioning, I think:

- They realized the importance of localization pretty much the very beginning (unlike some other companies that take years before they even start thinking of localization);
- They made it part of their development cycle;
- They acknowledged that sales in new languages were consistently higher;
- They understood that without localization they will be limiting their user base;
... See more
Fantastic summary, Samuel! Well done 👍 A few other things worth mentioning, I think:

- They realized the importance of localization pretty much the very beginning (unlike some other companies that take years before they even start thinking of localization);
- They made it part of their development cycle;
- They acknowledged that sales in new languages were consistently higher;
- They understood that without localization they will be limiting their user base;
- They chose to work with specialized service provider to ensure quality (yes, it was an agency and perhaps they could’ve worked with specialized freelancers too, but I guess in their case it was just easier to work with one stop shop if I may put it this way);

Overall I think they made pretty good case for localization. 🙂

Just wish they elaborated more on the testing side of things, as it seemed a bit ambiguous.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New interview series for startups and everyone interested in localization

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »