Musical terms in American and British English
Thread poster: Karin Maack
Karin Maack
Karin Maack  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:43
English to German
Jan 3, 2019

Here is a question for English native speakers: What would you do in the following case?
A German book that has been translated into English and is now being proofread and edited will only be published in one English version. It has to do with music and of course, there are terms like crotchet/quarter note, quaver/eighth note. Would an American understand the British terms? Or would the British find the American term unprofessional? What should be used so most people would be able to under
... See more
Here is a question for English native speakers: What would you do in the following case?
A German book that has been translated into English and is now being proofread and edited will only be published in one English version. It has to do with music and of course, there are terms like crotchet/quarter note, quaver/eighth note. Would an American understand the British terms? Or would the British find the American term unprofessional? What should be used so most people would be able to understand the text easily? Is it possible to use one term and put the other one in brackets?
I am glad if you share your thoughts.
Collapse

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:43
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
U.S. English Jan 3, 2019

Speaking from this side of the world: I'm used to reading about eighth notes and quarter notes. As a music lover and performer, and having taught music theory and history classes, I've seen the terms crotchet and quaver and hemi-quaver etc., but would find them difficult to follow in a text; even with my interest and experience in music I'd have to look each of them up in a dictionary to see what they mean since they're hardly used here.

We need to hear from the UK side whether the
... See more
Speaking from this side of the world: I'm used to reading about eighth notes and quarter notes. As a music lover and performer, and having taught music theory and history classes, I've seen the terms crotchet and quaver and hemi-quaver etc., but would find them difficult to follow in a text; even with my interest and experience in music I'd have to look each of them up in a dictionary to see what they mean since they're hardly used here.

We need to hear from the UK side whether they would easily understand the terms we use here.
Collapse

MollyRose
Kaiya J. Diannen
neilmac

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The UK side Jan 3, 2019

Joseph Tein wrote:

We need to hear from the UK side whether they would easily understand the terms we use here.

I just asked my British husband, who's a performer (or was before old age set in ). He did recognise the US terms but they're far from natural for him. He also would need to look them up and he'd probably mentally stumble each time he met the American terms.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
glossary Jan 3, 2019

If agreeable with the author, publisher, or whoever, perhaps you could stick to one set of terms in the text but include a glossary. If the book is expected to be used more in the UK, use those terms, with a glossary for U.S., or vice versa if more are expected to be sold in the U.S.

Otherwise, perhaps the first time you use a term, use both versions with a slash: quaver/eighth note, and then use one of the terms subsequently (with consistency for either U.S. or British).

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Depends partly on genre Jan 3, 2019

Joseph Tein wrote:

I'm used to reading about eighth notes and quarter notes. As a music lover and performer, and having taught music theory and history classes, I've seen the terms crotchet and quaver and hemi-quaver etc., but would find them difficult to follow in a text

I agree 100%.

As a Brit who has studied both classical (years ago) and jazz music (over the last few years), I think British classical musicians would be more familiar with the UK terminology, whereas jazz musicians will have been more exposed to the US terminology, regardless of where they are based, since a lot of teaching materials come from there. I certainly struggle to recognise the British terms now.

Jo Macdonald
neilmac

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 09:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
Err on the side of being comprehensible Jan 4, 2019

My early music education and my Grade 8 theory certificate are in the British system, while my professional education was in the US.

I would say that the US terms would be recognizable by someone who has never seen it, while the UK terms will not be. Certainly I had no issue transitioning into the US system when I went to college, but I have no doubt that the words crotchet and quaver would have drawn nothing but blank looks from my college peers. When I conduct I go naturally to th
... See more
My early music education and my Grade 8 theory certificate are in the British system, while my professional education was in the US.

I would say that the US terms would be recognizable by someone who has never seen it, while the UK terms will not be. Certainly I had no issue transitioning into the US system when I went to college, but I have no doubt that the words crotchet and quaver would have drawn nothing but blank looks from my college peers. When I conduct I go naturally to the US system, one because I know it better, but also because I can be certain that my performers will know what I'm talking about, regardless of background.

There's another dimension to this, though. The Chinese word for quaver is literally "quarter note" in natural language, and the same goes for the other note lengths. So mileage may differ for someone who has never been exposed to another language, or speaks a language that works differently.

[Edited at 2019-01-04 03:53 GMT]
Collapse

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Fiona Grace Peterson

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Personally ... Jan 4, 2019

I studied music in the U.S., I have a Bachelor of Music degree from an American university, and performed professionally (as a singer) in opera ensembles in the U.S.

I don't recall ever hearing any of the British terms, except perhaps occasionally while watching a British television show or movie, at least until I came to Europe, at which point (I can assure you) I was thoroughly confused. So based on my personal experience, I can tell you that the average person interested in or e
... See more
I studied music in the U.S., I have a Bachelor of Music degree from an American university, and performed professionally (as a singer) in opera ensembles in the U.S.

I don't recall ever hearing any of the British terms, except perhaps occasionally while watching a British television show or movie, at least until I came to Europe, at which point (I can assure you) I was thoroughly confused. So based on my personal experience, I can tell you that the average person interested in or even studying music in the U.S. will not understand the British terminology.
Collapse

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Fiona Grace Peterson

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Depends, but US system preferable under most circumstances Jan 4, 2019

Sorry for chiming in (not a native speaker).

I asked a British colleague I'm playing with in a professional orchestra. Result: This will depend on the genre and the target market, but mostly, British musicians have adopted the US system, with the possible exception of classical music teachers.

Also, keep in mind that an English book may target an international market as well. The American terminology will be understood just fine by non-native readers, while British ter
... See more
Sorry for chiming in (not a native speaker).

I asked a British colleague I'm playing with in a professional orchestra. Result: This will depend on the genre and the target market, but mostly, British musicians have adopted the US system, with the possible exception of classical music teachers.

Also, keep in mind that an English book may target an international market as well. The American terminology will be understood just fine by non-native readers, while British terminology is pretty much restricted to (a part of) the British readership.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson

Karin Maack
Karin Maack  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Jan 4, 2019

...very much for your replies, they are really helpful.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
logical Jan 4, 2019

As Lincoln Hui said: I would say that the US terms would be recognizable by someone who has never seen it, while the UK terms will not be.

This makes sense, because anyone can understand more easily what is a half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth note, etc., as opposed to quavers, etc.

zeeshan arain (X)
Fiona Grace Peterson
Anna Zahorska

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
both (my experience) Jan 7, 2019

I study and practise music when I am not translating. Among other things, I interface with students, teachers, and musicians from various countries. As soon as someone who is aware and knowledgeable knows he is addressing an international audience, he will use both terms, putting one in parentheses. I have also read on-line books, instructions, etc., that refer to both.

It's not just crotchets and hemidemisemiquavers but a few other terms have different meanings. For example, th
... See more
I study and practise music when I am not translating. Among other things, I interface with students, teachers, and musicians from various countries. As soon as someone who is aware and knowledgeable knows he is addressing an international audience, he will use both terms, putting one in parentheses. I have also read on-line books, instructions, etc., that refer to both.

It's not just crotchets and hemidemisemiquavers but a few other terms have different meanings. For example, the Americans talk of the "parallel key" while in Canada and Australia (and I think Britain) we call it the Tonic key.

In international Internet discussions folks seem to start adapting US terminology (just as it's gone for spelling -- color, not colour) --- but folks still seem to get flumoxed by things like crotchets vs. quarter / eighth notes.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:43
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I tend to agree Jan 8, 2019

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Joseph Tein wrote:

I'm used to reading about eighth notes and quarter notes. As a music lover and performer, and having taught music theory and history classes, I've seen the terms crotchet and quaver and hemi-quaver etc., but would find them difficult to follow in a text

I agree 100%.

As a Brit who has studied both classical (years ago) and jazz music (over the last few years), I think British classical musicians would be more familiar with the UK terminology, whereas jazz musicians will have been more exposed to the US terminology, regardless of where they are based, since a lot of teaching materials come from there. I certainly struggle to recognise the British terms now.

I tend to agree with this division. As a jazz musician myself, I always use American English when talking about it and in fact there are jazz terms that ONLY exist in American English. But being also a lover of (some) classical music I always think of it as coming from the European tradition (sorry, Charles Ives) and so I would use British English or better still, Italian, which is the language of music

[Edited at 2019-01-08 15:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Musical terms in American and British English

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »