Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Becoming a translator without any tools/software?
Thread poster: Alberto Avena
Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:15
Serbian to English
+ ...
you are forgetting the WORST part ... Jan 8, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Two more dangerous habits you are exposed to when working heavily or exclusively with CAT tools:

1. You tend to assume that just because something is in some translation memory, it must be absolutely correct.

2. Error propagation (partly related to no. 1).

I won't deny that using CAT tools is convenient and time-saving. However, convenience and time have nothing to do with quality.

Like any other kind of tool, CAT tools are useful if applied judiciously. And like any other kind of tool, you should be careful not to become too dependent on them. You don't want to become one of those helpless drivers who can't even find their way home without GPS guidance.

The definitive killer, as far as I am concerned, when it comes to using CAT tools, is that in effect you allow some software that has no concept of "meaning" to more or less arbitrarily slice your ST in chunks ("segments") that may or may not represent "units of meaning"! That being a pretty good way to lose understanding of the rhythm of the whole ST, start ignoring the larger context and get a form of "tunnel vision" centred only on potentially meaningless or misleading "segments"!

IOW this "helping hand" can easily lead you in a blind alley ... if not handled with extreme caution!

This kind of traps shows through the fact that the most puzzling Kudoz questions seems to be generated by translators who are all too quick to accept "segments" generated by some CAT software as being the same as "meaningful parsing/analysis of the structure of the ST".

@Chris S

None of my customers requires me to use a CAT tool.

But I generally do.

So I'm about to earn £1000 for doing absolutely nothing.

Result.

You don't really need CAT tools for that - years ago I achieved the same result with just carbon copies of of a longish translation typed on a mechanical typewriter ... the left hand wouldn't talk to the right hand in the same company, at their costs ...

Beth Jones

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
The risks of becoming overdependent on CAT tools Jan 9, 2018

Daryo is right. CAT tools split text in segments that don't correspond to units of meaning. Put it another way, a CAT tool is likely to destroy not just meanings but the unifying links that join those meanings into a whole (the entire manual, or pamphlet or book).

One of the few advantages in using CAT tools is in preserving the original format (I strictly mean the document layout, not whether paragraphs are well constructed or whether boldface makes any sense). This is useful for o
... See more
Daryo is right. CAT tools split text in segments that don't correspond to units of meaning. Put it another way, a CAT tool is likely to destroy not just meanings but the unifying links that join those meanings into a whole (the entire manual, or pamphlet or book).

One of the few advantages in using CAT tools is in preserving the original format (I strictly mean the document layout, not whether paragraphs are well constructed or whether boldface makes any sense). This is useful for official forms, diplomas, personal documents and the like, as well as professionally designed or set documents, such as posters, business cards, etc.
Collapse

Beth Jones

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
German to English
+ ...
I use MS Word Jan 12, 2018

That's my software. I would assume that you have as much. Therefore, you are probably not "without" tools or software.

Beth Jones

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Becoming a translator without any tools/software?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »