Interpreters crucial actors at Trump-Kim meeting

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Interpreters crucial actors at Trump-Kim meeting ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Haigo Salow
Haigo Salow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:37
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
And I cringed everytime Jun 20, 2018

the media referred to them as translators!

Henry Dotterer
Liviu-Lee Roth
..... (X)
Angus Stewart
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ahmad Dabaghzadeh
Stephen Franke

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are they translators or interpreters Jun 29, 2018

Actually, despite our industry distinction, I find it more appropriate to call them translators. It sounds better to my ears and is the more common term used by people who don't do this type of work.

Just my two cents.

Matt Bibby
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Justin Peterson
Kaspars Melkis

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:37
Serbian to English
+ ...
Very interesting and novel concept! Jul 30, 2018

Why don't let people who haven't got a clue decide which terms should be used by people who know what they are talking about!

Guilty as charged! It never crossed my mind that there could be such a simple solution ....

Is that by any chance a variation on the theme of the politician who said "we had enough of experts, who needs them" (a clue: it's about the highly sophisticated Brexit debate...)

As for the necessity to have competent interpreters wh
... See more
Why don't let people who haven't got a clue decide which terms should be used by people who know what they are talking about!

Guilty as charged! It never crossed my mind that there could be such a simple solution ....

Is that by any chance a variation on the theme of the politician who said "we had enough of experts, who needs them" (a clue: it's about the highly sophisticated Brexit debate...)

As for the necessity to have competent interpreters when two sides in any kind of talks speak different languages, it's hardly earth-shattering news. I don't know why it suddenly becomes newsworthy just because it's Trump and Kim.

[Edited at 2018-07-30 21:52 GMT]
Collapse

Radu DANAILA
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Hnin Nwe

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:37
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Translator vs Interpreter ... Usage Determines Meaning, Not Experts Sep 30, 2018

Daryo: Kindly calm down. There are distinctions made by experts that are not observed in more colloquial, less specialized contexts all the time. That does not make the less formal or looser usage incorrect. The meanings of all these terms are entirely arbitrary, in any case; it's not like saying 5+5=11. If a critical mass of people use "translator" to mean translator and interpreter ... then it does. Usage determines meaning, not experts and elitists. And language is constantly evolving a... See more
Daryo: Kindly calm down. There are distinctions made by experts that are not observed in more colloquial, less specialized contexts all the time. That does not make the less formal or looser usage incorrect. The meanings of all these terms are entirely arbitrary, in any case; it's not like saying 5+5=11. If a critical mass of people use "translator" to mean translator and interpreter ... then it does. Usage determines meaning, not experts and elitists. And language is constantly evolving and shifting. There is no sacrosant "correct" form of any language and its vocabulary.Collapse

Kaspars Melkis

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:37
Serbian to English
+ ...
so .... Oct 1, 2018

Justin Peterson wrote:

Daryo: Kindly calm down. There are distinctions made by experts that are not observed in more colloquial, less specialized contexts all the time. That does not make the less formal or looser usage incorrect. The meanings of all these terms are entirely arbitrary, in any case; it's not like saying 5+5=11. If a critical mass of people use "translator" to mean translator and interpreter ... then it does. Usage determines meaning, not experts and elitists. And language is constantly evolving and shifting. There is no sacrosant "correct" form of any language and its vocabulary.

"If a critical mass of people use ..."

Applying that criteria, you surely won't find nothing wrong with how quite a large number of "non-experts" see translating: translator = just a glorified typist, making big fuss of the secondary fact that the retyped text is in another language? And you will change your job title accordingly?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters crucial actors at Trump-Kim meeting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »