Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:08
Chinese to German
+ ...
Mar 14, 2017

Hi everybody

A regular client of mine has a couple of InDesign files he needs to have translated. So I just asked for the price of the InDesign filter - 1,050 Euros! Seems a bit too much for translating a couple of files without knowing whether I will ever need it again.

Is there any kind of workaround that I could use? I do not own any other kind of TM tool that I might use as intermediate (but even buying a MemoQ licence would be cheaper than getting the InDesign filt
... See more
Hi everybody

A regular client of mine has a couple of InDesign files he needs to have translated. So I just asked for the price of the InDesign filter - 1,050 Euros! Seems a bit too much for translating a couple of files without knowing whether I will ever need it again.

Is there any kind of workaround that I could use? I do not own any other kind of TM tool that I might use as intermediate (but even buying a MemoQ licence would be cheaper than getting the InDesign filter - though I have never worked with MemoQ and don't know how complex that would be for an experienced Transit NXT user).

I own a Transit NXT Freelance Pro version.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Iris
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Kilgray's Language Terminal (which is free) can process InDesign files (for free): Mar 14, 2017

see e.g.:

"Translate your InDesign files!
InDesign software is expensive and many translators have to refuse InDesign jobs because they don’t have the software.Language Terminal’s free InDesign converter allows you to wo
... See more
see e.g.:

"Translate your InDesign files!
InDesign software is expensive and many translators have to refuse InDesign jobs because they don’t have the software.Language Terminal’s free InDesign converter allows you to work with InDesign in any CAT tool." (https://www.languageterminal.com/ )

some info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GrkPtowpI&feature=youtu.be

You basically use Language Terminal to convert your InDesign file into a .mqxliff file, which most CAT tools can handle (also free ones). When you finish translating the .mqxliff file, you upload it back to the LT, and it converts it back into an InDesign file.

[Edited at 2017-03-14 14:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-03-14 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Iris Kleinophorst
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I need MemoQ for Language Terminal? Mar 14, 2017

Hi Michael,

thanks for the hint! As I understand from the video, Language Terminal is part of MemoQ, right?

I talked to STAR again, mentioning that I think the price is a bit steep for my job. They said I could also get a time-limited new Transit NXT Freelance Pro licence including the InDesign-Filter. This would come up to 200 Euros excluding VAT for 3 months. Sounds much more feasible, though I am not sure about tampering with my current Transit licence.

... See more
Hi Michael,

thanks for the hint! As I understand from the video, Language Terminal is part of MemoQ, right?

I talked to STAR again, mentioning that I think the price is a bit steep for my job. They said I could also get a time-limited new Transit NXT Freelance Pro licence including the InDesign-Filter. This would come up to 200 Euros excluding VAT for 3 months. Sounds much more feasible, though I am not sure about tampering with my current Transit licence.

Any other suggestions?

TIA
Iris
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
You'll also need InDesign Mar 14, 2017

Are you aware of the fact that you'll also need an InDesign license, since the filter actually is a plug-in?

The filter is good, though, the order of the stories in Transit matches the flow on the ID pages very well.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Or via SDL Trados Studio Mar 14, 2017

You could also do it via SDL Trados Studio and its legacy converter (idml -> sdlxliff -> ttx -> translate then ttx -> sdlxliff -> idml), or ask someone who has Studio to do it for you. That's what I do, as I don't have the InDesign filter either, but I do have Studio, for just such purposes. The built-in Trados ttx filter in Transit works fine.
Contact me if you're interested. But be aware that, as CafeTran intimated, Studio requires the InDesign export format (idml), which you may have to
... See more
You could also do it via SDL Trados Studio and its legacy converter (idml -> sdlxliff -> ttx -> translate then ttx -> sdlxliff -> idml), or ask someone who has Studio to do it for you. That's what I do, as I don't have the InDesign filter either, but I do have Studio, for just such purposes. The built-in Trados ttx filter in Transit works fine.
Contact me if you're interested. But be aware that, as CafeTran intimated, Studio requires the InDesign export format (idml), which you may have to get from your client if you don't already have the files in that format.

Richard

[Edited at 2017-03-14 17:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-03-14 17:15 GMT]
Collapse

Iris Kleinophorst
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 16, 2017

I checked with the client, and as I had expected, he said sending me IDML files for translation ist perfectly alright.

CafeTranTraining, thank you for the hint on the INDD version. I had wrongly assumed that it was still possible to get IDML files from the client and directly import them into Transit with the right filter (as used to be the case). But rechecking with STAR confirmed your warning.

If this was a project with a large volume or a long-term perspective, I'd f
... See more
I checked with the client, and as I had expected, he said sending me IDML files for translation ist perfectly alright.

CafeTranTraining, thank you for the hint on the INDD version. I had wrongly assumed that it was still possible to get IDML files from the client and directly import them into Transit with the right filter (as used to be the case). But rechecking with STAR confirmed your warning.

If this was a project with a large volume or a long-term perspective, I'd further look into this. For the moment, however, I think I'll either install MemoQ as 45-day trial version for import of the IDML files. Or, even easier, dash over to my friend and colleague around the corner who owns Studio and ask her to import and export for me.

Thank you, Richard, for your offer.

Iris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workarounds for buying InDesign filter?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »